Build Thread Lab-volt Router Rebuild

Thread: Lab-volt Router Rebuild

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Lab-volt Router Rebuild

I am rebuilding a Lab-Volt C.N.C. Router, When I first took it apart it had non-working stepper motors and electronics. When I took it apart I didn't intend on rebuilding it originally so I don't have all of the parts. I have replaced the X and Y axis stepper motors with newer Nema 34 stepper motors. In the process of putting it back together, the Z-axis ball nut fell off so I am going to have to replace the Z-axis screw and nut. For the electronics, I am using an Arduino with the GRBL firmware to control it. The spindle is a 110v 1.5kw C.N.C. spindle. I have recently started documenting to rebuild on my youtube channel.

Here is the first video -

Here is the second video -

I will be posting more information on my progress on this build thread soon.

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Lab-volt Router Rebuild

For the z-axis of the C.N.C. I was thinking about using this ball screw - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KQ1YPBBY&psc=1
    I would probably use the same Nrma 34 stepper motor that I purchased for the x and y-axis - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Does anyone know if that will be powerful enough to power the z-axis, the steel plate on the z-axis is about 20 pounds and this is the spindle it probably ways around 10lbs - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I added a stand to the CNC here is a picture of what the CAD model looks like with the stand on it. According to the CAD model, the machine weighs 550lbs. This CAD model also shows what I am thinking of using for a dust shoe It is the wooden piece on the spindle.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lab-volt Router Rebuild-assembly-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quick update the machine is now on the stand in real life I did have to take it apart to the 2 frame pieces which means I am going to have to retram the x-axis to the machine. I am going to make an enclosure for the electronics in the stand and if I decide to do have a coolant system I will also have the coolant tank in the stand.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lab-volt Router Rebuild-cnc-stand-jpg   Lab-volt Router Rebuild-cnc-stand-2-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I added a switch to control all of the power going to the electronics there is a junction box on the back of the machine where I am going to add an outlet for the computer and monitor so that they are not controlled by the power switch. The machine will just have one plug leaving the machine which is nice. The electronics are currently mounted on the front of the stand I might remake the electronics board when I build an enclosure so That the electronics are enclosed away from the chips but this setup will work for now. Sorry, that the pictures are rotated I took the pictures on my phone.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lab-volt Router Rebuild-img_6261-jpg   Lab-volt Router Rebuild-img_6262-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Looks like a fun project. What are you using for control Linux CNC? What interface board are you using?

Sounds similar to my project. The steppers and drivers were there and worked, but the front end PC was gone. I replaced the OEM controller with a SmoothStepper and Mach 4.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I am not using linux cnc i am using an arduino with the grbl firmware on it and controlling it using universal g-code sender. I might upgrade to mach 3 in the future but for now i am using an arduino because of the price.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I was looking for a replacement for the ball nut that I broke does anyone know if this ball nut is compatible? The ball nut says THK BNT 1405A AX-1A101. I also will post pictures of the ball screw and nut.

https://www.ebay.com.sg/itm/THK-Line...AAAOSw1zpbThJ3

If not does anyone know where I could find a replacement ball nut for cheap?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lab-volt Router Rebuild-img_6270-jpg   Lab-volt Router Rebuild-img_6271-jpg   Lab-volt Router Rebuild-img_6272-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I ordered that ball nut off of ebay I believe that it should work with the ball screw that I have.

I also found a shaft adapter on McMaster that should work much better than the ones I am currently using. I am currently using a 14mm to 10mm adapter but the ball screw shaft has 3/8 threads on it so I wrapped it with some tape and pushed the adapter over it. I believe that may be on of the reasons why the CNC won't go at higher speeds currently. I found a 14mm to 5/16 shaft adapter I will tap the 5/16 hole for 3/8 threads to thread onto the ball screw. (the picture shows the shaft coupler I am going to buy)

I was doing some research on the original stepper motors for the CNC they are the slo-syn M092-fd-8109 stepper motor. Apparently, it maxed out at 370 oz-in, the motors that I bought for the x and y are 1200 oz-in so I think that will be fine for the z-axis(I thought I was going to have to buy the 1700 oz-in stepper motor for the z-axis)
    MC SUPPLY CO: Bodine Electric Co, KB Electronics, Brake Motor, Stepper, Gearmotor, Gearboxes, Clutch/Brake

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lab-volt Router Rebuild-mcmaster-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The ball nut off of ebay worked and it is now mounted to the z-axis. The z-axis stepper motor should arrive tomorrow. After that, I should be able to start milling.

Downloads
    Uploads

Interesting project Kyle, I'm a little late to this thread but what can I say it is summer and I have more projects than time.

As for the ball nut there is no way to tell for sure if it will fit the lead screw. You would need to know the lead screws pitch and the number of starts to begin with. beyond that not all manufactures roll their ball screws with the same dies so if the brands don't work together you are screwed again. If you don't know the specifics of the parts you are replacing sometimes it is easier to just order the ball nut and screw complete. The old nut might be helpful if it was stamped with model and manufacture info.

The type of couplings you posted (sometimes called Lovejoy couplings) are not ideal for CNC work as the generally have some backlash. There are variants that claim to be zero backlash but generally I think you are better off looking for a different solution. One possibility are Oldham couplings that still allows you to buy shaft fittings with differing ID's bored in them.

As for the LabVolt machine glad to see you reconditioning it. The last I heard of anything with the LabVolt name stamped on it was like 41 years ago when I was taking some tech classes. Those where electronics trainers and to be honest I wasn't left with a very positive opinion of the company and its products. Hopefully their CNC is of better quality.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by wizard View Post
    Interesting project Kyle, I'm a little late to this thread but what can I say it is summer and I have more projects than time.

As for the ball nut there is no way to tell for sure if it will fit the lead screw. You would need to know the lead screws pitch and the number of starts to begin with. beyond that not all manufactures roll their ball screws with the same dies so if the brands don't work together you are screwed again. If you don't know the specifics of the parts you are replacing sometimes it is easier to just order the ball nut and screw complete. The old nut might be helpful if it was stamped with model and manufacture info.

The type of couplings you posted (sometimes called Lovejoy couplings) are not ideal for CNC work as the generally have some backlash. There are variants that claim to be zero backlash but generally I think you are better off looking for a different solution. One possibility are Oldham couplings that still allows you to buy shaft fittings with differing ID's bored in them.

As for the LabVolt machine glad to see you reconditioning it. The last I heard of anything with the LabVolt name stamped on it was like 41 years ago when I was taking some tech classes. Those where electronics trainers and to be honest I wasn't left with a very positive opinion of the company and its products. Hopefully their CNC is of better quality.
    When I got the Lovejoy couplers mounted I compressed the connectors a little and that seemed to get rid of most of the backlash. I think that those connectors will work for now, if I get any major backlash problems I will upgrade to better ones. The lab-volt CNC machines had terrible electronics and software the stepper motors had no torque to move the axis when I got it, That's why I replaced all the electronics.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The C.N.C. machine is making parts I uploaded a video of making the logo for my robotics team on Youtube.

Here is the video -