New Machine Build Fixed Gantry Router with HSK-E25 ATC for under $25K - Page 20

Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 101718192021 LastLast

Thread: Fixed Gantry Router with HSK-E25 ATC for under $25K

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Spindle Head

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    You have to much material removed in the cutout, from where the Rails are mounted, if this is all granite then you will need a wide area where the rails mount, if it is steel or cast-iron then it would not be a problem
    I think you are right, the inserts are too close to the edge. They must be at least 1". But that means that I could not use a flat shoulder plate. I would need some kind of L-shaped shoulder bracket. Is that an option? Otherwise, I'll have to replace the shoulder by a full gutter in which to place the rail, but I don't know if the granite supplier can make that. I'll check. Clearly, the mounting of the rails will be one of the hardest parts of the design...

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Rotary Table

Here is an updated design including the rotary table.

This component will enable the B axis and will be flush with the rest of the X-Z table. It will be driven by a direct drive torque motor with at least 1,000Nm of torque and 200rpm speed. The drive itself will be supplied either by Siemens, another one of our suppliers that is about to announce a new line of rotary tables, or a third-party that has yet to be selected. Our primary selection criteria are high torque and low profile (in order to keep the height of the table carriage to a minimum). This rotary table will be used both for part orientation and turning. Obviously, turning will be done with the spindle, not a regular lathe cutting tool, therefore we do not need high rotational speed for the rotary table. Another critical point is that this B axis will be fully synchronized with the other 5 axes in order to support full 6-axis convolution. Also, having this rotary table means that for parts which footprint fit within its 20" diameter, we're not limited to the 14" range of the Z axis when using the machine in VMC configuration (with spindle vertically oriented), because we can turn the table around. As a result, this gives us full VMC capabilities on a 20" diameter x 20" height envelope. Not bad...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fixed Gantry Router with HSK-E25 ATC for under K-screen-shot-2018-07-11-12-59-a   Fixed Gantry Router with HSK-E25 ATC for under K-screen-shot-2018-07-11-12-59-a   Fixed Gantry Router with HSK-E25 ATC for under K-screen-shot-2018-07-11-12-59-a   Fixed Gantry Router with HSK-E25 ATC for under K-screen-shot-2018-07-11-12-59-a  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Torque Motor

I think we found the right torque motor for our application: ETEL TMB0450-150

Datasheet:
    https://www.etel.ch/fileadmin/PDF/Pr...MB0450-150.pdf

Drawing:
    https://www.etel.ch/fileadmin/PDF/Pr...50/TMB0450.pdf

485mm outside diameter, which is perfect for a 500mm rotary table.

1,870Nm continuous torque, 3,490Nm peak torque.

Water or air cooling (not sure yet which one we'll go with).

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Head Carriage

He is a first design for the head carriage casting. Quite a bit of material will be relieved from the backside as well in order to reduce weight, because right now its a full 148kg, which is way too much. Note how the lateral ribs are sized and positioned in such a way that we keep frontal access to the six roller blocks once we go from 4 to 6 roller blocks.

Note to handlewanker: having the CAD tool do the mass calculation for me is really nice... Not something I could do with pen and paper easily, especially with all the fillets...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fixed Gantry Router with HSK-E25 ATC for under K-screen-shot-2018-07-11-5-17-a   Fixed Gantry Router with HSK-E25 ATC for under K-screen-shot-2018-07-11-5-18-a   Fixed Gantry Router with HSK-E25 ATC for under K-screen-shot-2018-07-11-5-18-a  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Lighter Head Carriage

Here is a lighter version of the head carriage. 112kg instead of 148kg. All walls are one inch thick. FEM analysis will tell us whether we can save some additional weight somewhere, possibly drilling some round holes on the sides. But for the time being, knowing that the head assembly is 75kg, I think this is good enough.

This is quite fun actually...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fixed Gantry Router with HSK-E25 ATC for under K-screen-shot-2018-07-11-6-08-a   Fixed Gantry Router with HSK-E25 ATC for under K-screen-shot-2018-07-11-6-07-a   Fixed Gantry Router with HSK-E25 ATC for under K-screen-shot-2018-07-11-6-07-a  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Wider shoulders

Here is an updated design with wider shoulders to prevent cracking of the granite components. Time to add some t-slots on the table now.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fixed Gantry Router with HSK-E25 ATC for under K-screen-shot-2018-07-11-6-57-a   Fixed Gantry Router with HSK-E25 ATC for under K-screen-shot-2018-07-11-6-57-a   Fixed Gantry Router with HSK-E25 ATC for under K-screen-shot-2018-07-11-6-58-a  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default T-slots

Here is an updated design with t-slots added to the three table components.

Now, it's starting to look like a real machine...

Tomorrow, I hope to get 3D models of the servo motors so that I can add them with the ball screws.

And after that I'll work on the X-axis carriage, which will be the most complex component in the design, mostly because it has to carry so much weight and so many cables and hoses.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fixed Gantry Router with HSK-E25 ATC for under K-screen-shot-2018-07-11-7-52-a   Fixed Gantry Router with HSK-E25 ATC for under K-screen-shot-2018-07-11-7-52-a   Fixed Gantry Router with HSK-E25 ATC for under K-screen-shot-2018-07-11-7-52-a   Fixed Gantry Router with HSK-E25 ATC for under K-screen-shot-2018-07-11-7-52-a  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Fixed Gantry Router with HSK-E25 ATC for under $25K

Your design is poor.

I could explain in detail but I won't.

Why are all the rails at the extremes (they shouldn't be)? Why does your base have that massive cut out?

7xCNC.com - CNC info for the minilathe (7x10, 7x12, 7x14, 7x16)

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by pippin88 View Post
    Your design is poor.

I could explain in detail but I won't.

Why are all the rails at the extremes (they shouldn't be)? Why does your base have that massive cut out?
    Well, in that case I should not bother to reply. Feel free to provide suggestions for improving it though. This is the whole point of being on such a forum, isn't it?

Downloads
    Uploads

Since the project's intent has evolved so dramatically from the original post, I thought it would be best to continue the conversation on a brand new thread. This will make it easier for future readers to get up to speed without having to go through a lot of relatively uninteresting content. I will continue on this new thread from now on:

https://www.cnczone.com/forums/uncat...ml#post2197616

Downloads
    Uploads

That isn't a problem for those that can count.....all we do is go to a designated page no,.....it's at the top of the posting page.....and read on from there.

if anyone has posted on this thread you automatically get an email to tell you someone has posted on a thread you have posted to.....simple......why do you need to start a new thread otherwise.

It is MORE convenient (for those that are avid followers of multi axis use) to be able to page back a few to see what occurred previously.....doing this on a complete new thread is a frustrating waste of time.

It could be a form of elitism where you're flying so high that you now only want to debate or discuss your project with those that are up there too..... (a very valid point if you get irritated by negative answers to your evolving ideas from mere mortals).

If the previous thread title (this one) is not known anymore, it is also a convenient way to remove any reference to previous proposals that in the hard light of day aren't practical.

At the moment I'm left with the impression, as your posts progress, that you will now be just a back seat driver and other people will do all the input to make it work....that is what being a project manager is all about...….....where does the learning curve experience bit come in as that was your initial desire when the post was started.

I'm also amazed that you are so deeply in the hands of your Siemens advisors as they will have deeply vested interests in a project of this nature......that is by no small account, having all your eggs in one basket.

Do you honestly think the Chinese are not capable of making and supplying a machine of this calibre and at half the price....it will be an uneasy day for you and your co-collaborators if the education institutions are not all that patriotic when it comes to allocating their budgets.

I'm also rather amazed that this machine is only capable of cutting aluminium in a 6 axis mode......for $150K...…..unbelievable......perhaps that has now evolved to cutting any metal....with an extremely fine finish.

BTW, I wouldn't drink whisky or beer out of an aluminium jug...….stainless steel maybe.....or perhaps titanium...….how about solid silver, that would be really exotic.
    Ian..

Downloads
    Uploads

Well, it looks like the new thread has been deleted again. I've contact the moderator to see what's going on. In the meantime, we'll carry on with the current thread. Sorry for all the noise.

Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 101718192021 LastLast