Where to buy ATC spindle

Thread: Where to buy ATC spindle

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Where to buy ATC spindle

My machine runs great, but I find I am having to spend a lot of time sitting by the machine waiting to do tool changes.

Anyway I am looking for a ATC spindle. I only have 220 in my shop so it would need to be on the small size, 3.3kw or less.

I would like to buy one from a decent maker, and avoid the chinese stuff. But I've never seen one under 7kw, but I'm not to familiar with all the makers either.

My budget is $2500, my current VFD is rated for 3.3kw so it would be nice to be able to re use it.

Can anyone recommend something in my budget range? I'm not afraid of buying used either if I can find it.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Where to buy ATC spindle

I have a bt30 Colombo atc air cooled spindle. I’ll have to look at the plate but it’s 4kw 18000 rpm. I’m trying to get 600$ for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by dillonfitz View Post
    I have a bt30 Colombo atc air cooled spindle. I’ll have to look at the plate but it’s 4kw 18000 rpm. I’m trying to get 600$ for it.

I'd like some more info if possible. I'll send a private message with my contact info.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by TTalma View Post
    I'd like some more info if possible. I'll send a private message with my contact info.
    Ok. I’ll look for a pm

Downloads
    Uploads

I would like to buy one from a decent maker, and avoid the chinese stuff
    Chinese ATC spindles start at around $1800.

I would like to buy one from a decent maker, and avoid the chinese stuff.

This may be the cheapest non-chinese spindle you'll find.
    https://www.cncdepot.net/product-pag...4-000rpm-iso30

There's really nothing other than Chinese spindles in your price range.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the link. That was the only one I could find in my size range.

I have been in contact with dillonfitz. Hopefully we'll be able to work something out.

Downloads
    Uploads

My machine runs great, but I find I am having to spend a lot of time sitting by the machine waiting to do tool changes.

Anyway I am looking for a ATC spindle. I only have 220 in my shop so it would need to be on the small size, 3.3kw or less.

I would like to buy one from a decent maker, and avoid the chinese stuff. But I've never seen one under 7kw, but I'm not to familiar with all the makers either.

My budget is $2500, my current VFD is rated for 3.3kw so it would be nice to be able to re use it.

Can anyone recommend something in my budget range? I'm not afraid of buying used either if I can find it.
    220v power doesn't limit you to 3.3kw. I am running a 5.6kw spindle from a 220v 1ph outlet.

There are also VFDs that allow 1ph 220v in to output 3ph 380v.

As someone who spent far too long researching spindles, I can say with 100% certainty that there are no non-Chinese ATC spindles available new for $2,500 or less. For a used one, you can find them at that price.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Goemon View Post
    There are also VFDs that allow 1ph 220v in to output 3ph 380v.
    what's the kw rating of these? Do you have a link?

Downloads
    Uploads

Not too many single phase input VFD's over 3 HP (other than Chinese.)
    What you can do is get a 3 phase VFD and derate it for single phase. Most will allow derating to 50 or 60% rated power, but you may need to disable phase loss detection or rig something up to fake it out to do so. Best to contact the dealer before buying something with that intention.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Where to buy ATC spindle

Quote Originally Posted by skrubol View Post
    What you can do is get a 3 phase VFD and derate it for single phase. Most will allow derating to 50 or 60% rated power, but you may need to disable phase loss detection or rig something up to fake it out to do so. Best to contact the dealer before buying something with that intention.
    Yes I have an ABB vfd. I derated 50 percent. And disabled phase loss. Worked perfectly. I also had a transformer to go from 240-480 single phase that fed the vfd.

Downloads
    Uploads

A 1ph in / 3ph out VFD is effectively just a derated one. My 7.5kw VFD is rated for 1ph in / 3ph out but.... if you look at the specs, they are the same as a 3ph 15kw VFD.

My understanding is that most (or all) VFDs can be run on 1ph power as long as they are able to handle the amps going in. On a 3ph in / 3ph out set up, the draw is only a little more than what it outputs. When you run a VFD from 1ph power, it draws almost twice as many amps. For example, my VFD draws 54amps 1ph to output 31a 3phase. That is the real limitation.

I found that my 7.5hp spindle was close to the limit of what I could safely run from a 50amp 240v 1ph outlet (once you apply a margin of safety). You can find 75a and 100a breakers (or higher) for residential boxes but the price of matching receptacles goes up considerably (around $300 instead of $10).

The size of a persons main breaker and their budget is the main limitations for spindle sizing.

Downloads
    Uploads

60A receptacles are the largest I've found that are budget friendly. I even bought a plug to wire up a welder or something to plug into my dryer that ended up being a 30/50/60A plug depending on which terminal you populated for the neutral and how it was oriented. I think it was L for 30, | for 50 and - for 60. That's what I plan on using for my router eventually and limiting it to 8 or 9 HP (planning on monitoring/logging my current draw from the wall to figure out what I can get away with.) That's if I can manage to make my router strong enough to actually be able to use that much power.

Downloads
    Uploads

60A receptacles are the largest I've found that are budget friendly. I even bought a plug to wire up a welder or something to plug into my dryer that ended up being a 30/50/60A plug depending on which terminal you populated for the neutral and how it was oriented. I think it was L for 30, | for 50 and - for 60. That's what I plan on using for my router eventually and limiting it to 8 or 9 HP (planning on monitoring/logging my current draw from the wall to figure out what I can get away with.) That's if I can manage to make my router strong enough to actually be able to use that much power.

I found the same thing. It was easy to find cheap 125a breakers that fit my main box but a 125a 1ph receptacles were all north of $300.

I read about one guy wiring his VFD directly to his breaker without a receptacle but didn't sound like a smart idea to me.

At some point, the extra power is just not worth the hassle for a hobby machine.

Downloads
    Uploads

I think wiring without a plug is ok (code,) as long as there is a disconnect switch in the area of the machine being powered.

Downloads
    Uploads

I think wiring without a plug is ok (code,) as long as there is a disconnect switch in the area of the machine being powered.
    You would have to have a disconnect switch or you would have to turn it on and off at the breaker box. Emergency stop switches rated for 125amps are not that cheap either but they are a lot less than 125a receptacles.

I guess, if you have to run a big machine on 1 phase 240v, you have no choice.

Downloads
    Uploads

As a followup I was able to work out a deal with dillonfitz for the Spindle he mentioned earlier in the thread. I also purchased the VFD he was using with it.

I want to thank him he was great to deal with, and was very truthful in his description.

Now comes the task of upgrading everything!

Downloads
    Uploads

As a followup I was able to work out a deal with dillonfitz for the Spindle he mentioned earlier in the thread. I also purchased the VFD he was using with it.

I want to thank him he was great to deal with, and was very truthful in his description.

Now comes the task of upgrading everything!
    Thank you. I’m glad your happy and everything worked out!