What kind of file extension for image to be engraved into wood? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What kind of file extension for image to be engraved into wood?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: What kind of file extension for image to be engraved into wood?

Routalot,

Nice work on the Ferrari emblem. What was your total machine time? Some years back I made a small lithophane and showed it to my wife.... she asked “can you make some of those of the family photo for Christmas presents?” So.... I learned that an 8” X 12” (20cm X 30cm) image took 52 hours!! Plus a set of brushes for the Dremel spindle I used to get the RPM up for the 1mm ball nose bit. It took a bit more than 2 weeks of constant machine time to make all 8 of them. While the CNC was carving the Corian, I made some frames with backlights that were made from the plexiglass parts of dead LCD computer monitors (which works great by the way) and all worked out.
    What kind of file extension for image to be engraved into wood?-ccbad17c-f7d9-48a1-92f4-1ea32e57cdb9-jpg
    What kind of file extension for image to be engraved into wood?-7c48d6ed-ac03-4a0e-bb1e-36c0ee7513e0-jpg

These were done with Vectric photovcarve.
    The .ngc file for LinuxCNC was over 400,000 lines of gcode
    Steve

Last edited by vger; 06-12-2019 at 08:07 AM. Reason: Addition

Are you engraving just lines or are you doing 3D work? You're workflows for each will be vastly different.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyScience View Post
    I want to CNC images onto 12x12 & 12x24 wooden panels

What kind of images do I need to provide to have this done? Are jpegs alright? What about the resolution? I imagine I want the best I can, but are there any specs?

Or do these images need to be created in CAD?

Downloads
    Uploads

I didn't actually time the Ferrari badge as I was just curious about how well the facility to create a toolpath from an image might work.I was using a 1.5mm tool with a 0.3mm stepover and consequently the detail isn't anywhere near as fine as the lithophanes in post 21. I am intending to try the lithophane module of Freecad when I find a suitable piece of plastic to experiment with,my early experiments have taken quite a while to convert an image to something suitable for machining.Initially I was just rather pleased that LinuxCNC could generate any kind of 3D relief and I have no doubt that it could do a much better job if I had more practice with adjusting the settings to enhance the quality.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12