Relay for VFD

Thread: Relay for VFD

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Relay for VFD

Hey guys, not sure if I'm suppose to post this in this forum, but this is where I hang out mostly.

I'm a mechanical tinkerer and electrical is not something that comes natural to me. But I've done a fair amount of electrical work and feel confident that I can learn and do it correctly.

I'm getting ready to hook up my Chinese 220v VFD 2.2kw. I have a g540 and there is a good amount of documentation how to hook it up to control the vfd. I'm not sure I will have my mach 3 controlling it initially, but it's nice to know that it's doable.

My question is, being that my machine is far from my main breaker, i don't want to walk over to it every time I have to turn the vfd off and on. I want to install a relay. I don't mind having a normal light switch that would activate the relay for the vfd to come on. My question is, when you run 220v through a relay, do you put both of the black and red wire through the relay, or is one enough? I imagine the white wire can go straight through since that is the common. The ground wire (my house has 4 leads) would go to my cabinet and ground out the spindle as well.

Thanks!

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Relay for VFD

Just get a 240V switch.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by bgymr View Post
    Hey guys, not sure if I'm suppose to post this in this forum, but this is where I hang out mostly.

I'm a mechanical tinkerer and electrical is not something that comes natural to me. But I've done a fair amount of electrical work and feel confident that I can learn and do it correctly.

I'm getting ready to hook up my Chinese 220v VFD 2.2kw. I have a g540 and there is a good amount of documentation how to hook it up to control the vfd. I'm not sure I will have my mach 3 controlling it initially, but it's nice to know that it's doable.

My question is, being that my machine is far from my main breaker, i don't want to walk over to it every time I have to turn the vfd off and on. I want to install a relay. I don't mind having a normal light switch that would activate the relay for the vfd to come on. My question is, when you run 220v through a relay, do you put both of the black and red wire through the relay, or is one enough? I imagine the white wire can go straight through since that is the common. The ground wire (my house has 4 leads) would go to my cabinet and ground out the spindle as well.

Thanks!
    My preference is to use a contactor instead of a relay and run the red and black wires through the contactor. You can get a 30 amp contactor from amazon or eBay for less than $10. Keep in mind that you need a separate circuit to control the relay or contactor and that will be your coil voltage.

I would not run just one wire through it because your red and black are both hot wires (I’m assuming your in the US since you have four leads). Google 220V split phase power to learn more about it before you proceed.

Unless you are using your 220V power source to power some 110V circuits, you likely won’t use the white neutral wire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Like said above I just use a 2 pole switch

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks guys, I will read up on 220V split phase power before wiring it up. This switch will work, correct?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002MPPTBQ...524674857&sr=1

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by bgymr View Post
    Thanks guys, I will read up on 220V split phase power before wiring it up. This switch will work, correct?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002MPPTBQ...524674857&sr=1
    According to the description, looks like it should. Looks like it has trouble with anything heavier than 10 awg wiring, so you'll need some spade terminals to crimp on if you're using 8 awg.

Downloads
    Uploads

When needed I just turn mine off at the breaker, other than that I leave the VFD, computer, and control system powered up all the time. Keeps it warm & dry and at pretty much a constant temperature so it isn't thermal cycling.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

I only have a couple of 220 outlets in my shop and didn't want to add more or hard wire the machine, as it's on locking castors I simply put a male 220 plug (like used on a welder etc) on a short piece of power cable exiting my controller/vfd enclosure. I have an an extension cord I use for my welders and just plug it in when using it. Unplug when not. Simple but cheap and works well for my shop.

Downloads
    Uploads

Actually according to code (NEC-CEC) you are supposed to have a local disconnect.
    One option is a HVAC/Heat pump disconnect, you can get them from H.Depot for <$20.00
    The neutral is not required for a VFD, but if you have it it should transfer through unfused as well as Earth Ground conductor.
    You can also get the fused version.
    Al.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    Actually according to code (NEC-CEC) you are supposed to have a local disconnect.
    I think a plug counts (as long as it's not obstructed,) but a breaker on the other side of the shop does not.

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes a plug counts, but:
    ''The Disconnecting means shall be Manually operable and the operating handle or means of disconnect shall be readily accessible''
    Al.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.