Need Help! Router losing data / information

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Router losing data / information

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Router losing data / information

Since I got my spindle & vfd setup my router hasn't finished a job correctly. I sent a job with 5 cuts & after the first 3 went fine the 4th one started cutting diagonally across the board. I reset everything & tried again it did the same after the second shape. So I sent just the outside pocket cut it did the shape but didn't cut the whole way through the pvc the whole way around the shape. It kind of looks like it ramps out of the whole (part of it cuts through part of it doesnt).

I check all data cables & everything seems right. I also sent my g-code to a local machine shop & he said it looks correct without any issues

Any help is greatly appreciated

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Router losing data / information

Just a guess, but possibly noise from the VFD interfering with the electronics.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Gary-Wiant View Post
    Since I got my spindle & vfd setup my router hasn't finished a job correctly. I sent a job with 5 cuts & after the first 3 went fine the 4th one started cutting diagonally across the board. I reset everything & tried again it did the same after the second shape. So I sent just the outside pocket cut it did the shape but didn't cut the whole way through the pvc the whole way around the shape. It kind of looks like it ramps out of the whole (part of it cuts through part of it doesnt).

I check all data cables & everything seems right. I also sent my g-code to a local machine shop & he said it looks correct without any issues

Any help is greatly appreciated

The answer may be in your first sentence if this just started happening. It could be electrical noise, maybe try moving the VFD cable well away from your signal cables. Maybe a grounding issue?

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

Ok I'll try moving the cables as far away as possible tomorrow. Is there a way to add a shield the cables at all? I remember years ago you could buy magnetic pieces that clipped around you computer power cables to help with interference.

Thanks

Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads

There is shielded power cable available.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/25-FEET-Shi...UAAOSwcjhazQP4

I can't really think of a good way to shield the cable externally.

Also, installing a line reactor would help.
    https://www.automationdirect.com/adc...actors/LR-22P0

Just clipping a ferrite around the cable won't do much.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

I used SO 16 gauge line, I thought that was what I should have used.

Downloads
    Uploads

16 gauge is proabaly fine for your power requirement, I just grabbed the first example I saw off of ebay and it happened to be 12 gauge. SO cable will work, but it's not shielded. I have successfully used it between the VFD and the motor, but the separation between it and the control cables is on the order of several feet. In the case of my router, the VFD cable was strung about 4 feet over the top of the gantry on a track so it could move with the spindle motor and not run through the cable track. On my mill, the control cables are on the opposite side of the machine from the motor drive system.

Is everything properly grounded, back to a single point?

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

My table is 4x8 so hanging the wire above isn't something I'd like to try I'd probably rather buy new shielded wire & rerun it.

Do I need to keep the 16 gauge vfd cable away from the wires going from the vfd to the control panel or the cables running from the control panel to the stepper motors or the serial cable (I know old machine) running from the computer to the control panel ?

Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads

My router was a 4x8 also, but it did have a fixed gantry with a moving table. I mounted the VFD on the outside of the control panel, but it was fed from the control panel. Also had a line reactor inside the panel, but the run was very short and the power wiring was on the opposite side of the panel from the control wiring.

Router losing data / information-img_2016-jpg

The black transformer looking device on the lower right is the line reactor. The SO cable is connected to the line reactor the exits the cabinet on the right. A bit hard to see in the picture but it's the black, white, red wires connected to the line reactor.

Router losing data / information-img_2029-jpg

The grounds are all brought back to a single point in the cabinet.

Router losing data / information-img_2001-jpg

The cable track overhead

Router losing data / information-img_0032-jpg

The bottom line is keep the VFD cables well away from all other wiring.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Router losing data / information-img_2029-jpg   Router losing data / information-img_2016-jpg   Router losing data / information-img_2001-jpg   Router losing data / information-img_0032-jpg  

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

What control system are you using?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

DeskCNC

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm pretty sure I got the issue figured out, at least I ran an "air" job that had issues before.

I'm not sure which wire it was but I had a few wires close together & I separated them. I had the 220 line that runs from the breaker box to the VFD touching the 3 following 3 wires SO wire that goes from the VFD to the spindle and the cat 5 wire I used to do from the VFD to the control panel, and the serial wire running from the computer to the control panel.

Thanks
    Gary

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes you can shield the transmission wires using a stainless flexible 1/2 shower hose sir, I think it`s available at home depot or ace hardware in your area

Router losing data / information-sku_193052_1-jpg

Put all the wires inside then drill a hole on the connector and screw the ground wire and connect it to neutral on your outlet (earth) you now have an external ground shield on your wires

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Router losing data / information-sku_193052_1-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Which wires are you calling the "transmission wires"?

Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads

Usually the wires that requires shielding is the wires connecting the spindle itself going to the VFD module, input wires on the VFD are just wired the normal way. are you using UTP cable on your control wires sir?

Downloads
    Uploads

Sorry I purchased the router used and I'm not sure what wires the original builder used. My table is 4'x8' and the cable running from my vfd ro my spindle is 32' long & the OD probably wouldnt fot in the 1/2" shower hose very easily & if it would I know it wouldnt fot inside the wire track and it would need to hang from the roof & that would require an even longer cable & somehow to let the cable reach all corners of the table without hanging & causing problems elsewhere.

Thank you
    Gary

Downloads
    Uploads

I think you can buy a shielded (braided) cord from your local electrical store that looks like this.

Router losing data / information-polycab-shielded-braided-cables-500x500-jpg
    You need to shield the transmission wires from the VFD going to the spindle, usually electrical noise intensifies when the router experiences abrupt or heavy load / drag on it`s tool bit on the material you cut, if it`s shielded to ground / neutral even if you reach FLA (full load amperage) on your router motor it wont bother anymore on your breakout board electronics module causing offset / miss steps errors.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Router losing data / information-polycab-shielded-braided-cables-500x500-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

KH0UJ - you are correct one the router got under load it started loosing data.

So far I've contacted 2 local electrical supply shops, neither has anything as heavy as I need (14 gauge 4 conductor shielded wire) one said he had no idea where to find it and the other is making calls to his suppliers. One wire was found some but it has a semi-rigid pvc outer insulation and has what looks to be aluminum foil as the shield not the braided like the sample photo. This wont flex enough to run through the cable chain.

Does anyone know where I can find this wire?

Thank you

Downloads
    Uploads

Where are you located?

Downloads
    Uploads

Order direct from Igus, or 7777T21 from McMaster Carr, which I think is actually Igus cable.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast