Something A Tad Different CNC ROUTER BUILD - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Something A Tad Different CNC ROUTER BUILD

Default Re: Something A Tad Different CNC ROUTER BUILD

Quote Originally Posted by kodidavis29 View Post
    So after a complete tear down and recut and re assembly here it is still in wood but it’s coming together now can anyone tell me how long Cncrouter parts takes?
    Are you asking how long they take for parts or for their kits?

The parts I have ordered from them took 1-2 weeks to arrive including shipping time.

I haven’t ordered a kit from them so not sure on that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by BrokenHorn View Post
    Are you asking how long they take for parts or for their kits?

The parts I have ordered from them took 1-2 weeks to arrive including shipping time.

I haven’t ordered a kit from them so not sure on that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Just parts I placed the order middle of last week and haven’t got a shipping confirmation yet. I sent them a email and have not heard back. I just want to get it all together. To test fitment. It’s going to take a 60” x 120” sheet to cut all the parts for this machine. My goal is to have it done by end of next month.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Alright guys got some sample parts back from powder coat to test fitment tolerances.

But have not decided on a color scheme yet.

Did some 3d renderings of different colors let me know what you think.

Something A Tad Different CNC ROUTER BUILD-orion-black-black-jpgSomething A Tad Different CNC ROUTER BUILD-orion-black-red-jpgSomething A Tad Different CNC ROUTER BUILD-orion-black-white-jpgSomething A Tad Different CNC ROUTER BUILD-orion-green-black-jpgSomething A Tad Different CNC ROUTER BUILD-orion-green-white-jpgSomething A Tad Different CNC ROUTER BUILD-orion-red-black-jpgSomething A Tad Different CNC ROUTER BUILD-orion-red-blue-jpgSomething A Tad Different CNC ROUTER BUILD-orion-white-black-jpg

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Something A Tad Different CNC ROUTER BUILD-orion-black-black-jpg   Something A Tad Different CNC ROUTER BUILD-orion-black-red-jpg   Something A Tad Different CNC ROUTER BUILD-orion-black-white-jpg   Something A Tad Different CNC ROUTER BUILD-orion-green-black-jpg  

Something A Tad Different CNC ROUTER BUILD-orion-green-white-jpg   Something A Tad Different CNC ROUTER BUILD-orion-red-black-jpg   Something A Tad Different CNC ROUTER BUILD-orion-red-blue-jpg   Something A Tad Different CNC ROUTER BUILD-orion-white-black-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Retail price point for now is 5,000 -6,000 including everything atleast base goal that is.

Haven�t yet decided on what material but as far as base cost goes steel would obviously be the cheapest but most expensive to ship. Thinking of offering both kits. What do you think?

If we do decide to take this to market we would offer upgrade kits front and back plates to extend width capability. Linear rails for acuracy, so on and so forth.

As of right now electronics I think I�m going to go with g540 and Nema 23s
    1/2� Acme ball screws.

What are your thoughts?
    So if you did offer linear rails of any kind how would you machine the mounting surface to mount them on and keep them straight enough, they have to be mounted on a surface that is better than .0005"

The other problem you are going to have is your 1/2" Acme screws, for this size machine you would need a minimum of 3/4 for an Acme type screw on the long axes or it will whip like a wet noodle, not many people use Acme screws anymore for machines like this, most use Ballscrews or Rack and Pinion, which all need accurate mounting regular plate un-machined is not going to be very good for any kind of alignment, for Support Bearings, or Thrust Bearings Etc.

Mactec54

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    So if you did offer linear rails of any kind how would you machine the mounting surface to mount them on and keep them straight enough, they have to be mounted on a surface that is better than .0005"

The other problem you are going to have is your 1/2" Acme screws, for this size machine you would need a minimum of 3/4 for an Acme type screw on the long axes or it will whip like a wet noodle, not many people use Acme screws anymore for machines like this, most use Ballscrews or Rack and Pinion, which all need accurate mounting regular plate un-machined is not going to be very good for any kind of alignment, for Support Bearings, or Thrust Bearings Etc.
    While my thought was to make a stand-alone 1” plate that would have set screws for adjustment that would bolt directly to the side rails. The 1” plate would be tool and jig plate. That or offer a completely new side rail that was 1” machines down to 3/8 at the connection points.

I don’t think you will get whip if you have tensioning blocks on the acme threads. But also I have semi designed this to accept rack and pinions.

Downloads
    Uploads

While my thought was to make a stand-alone 1” plate that would have set screws for adjustment that would bolt directly to the side rails. The 1” plate would be tool and jig plate. That or offer a completely new side rail that was 1” machines down to 3/8 at the connection points.

I don’t think you will get whip if you have tensioning blocks on the acme threads. But also I have semi designed this to accept rack and pinions.
    Ground tooling plate is still not flat enough, it is usually within .005" to .010" for flatness, so would still need machining, it would be cheaper to use regular bar stock and machine where needed for rails and rack mounting

It will depend how fast the 1/2 Acme screw turns also as to how much whip it would have, putting the screw under tension would help, But you can only use a small amount of tension, or you will distort the pitch of the screw, the minor diameter of the 1/2" acme screw would be around 3/8" diameter so not much strength in it when you have to push / pull the gantry, plus the cutting load

When looking at screws like this think of the root diameter of the thread, not the outside diameter

Mactec54

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ground tooling plate is still not flat enough, it is usually within .005" to .010" for flatness, so would still need machining, it would be cheaper to use regular bar stock and machine where needed for rails and rack mounting

It will depend how fast the 1/2 Acme screw turns also as to how much whip it would have, putting the screw under tension would help, But you can only use a small amount of tension, or you will distort the pitch of the screw, the minor diameter of the 1/2" acme screw would be around 3/8" diameter so not much strength in it when you have to push / pull the gantry, plus the cutting load

When looking at screws like this think of the root diameter of the thread, not the outside diameter
    Really my supplier of tooling plate promises .001” for flatness and .0005” for thickness. (Not sure the window of measurement on said tolerance spec. When ever we build mock up fixtures for production I use this plate in my design I suppose I should do some testing on the overall tolerance of that big of a plate. I know on a 41x41” plate I just recently built we had more variation in are machine table then was on the plate. We ended up calling out a company to regrind our table surface. We checked the plate on the CMM and it’s high point was +.0002 and it’s low point was -.0001 so a total of .0003” out. Across 41” with a line scan every .100” apart.

As far a the acme vs ball screw do you have a good source for a 72” ballscrew. I felt limited to what I could get online. Also Nema 23s the only coupling size I could find was 1/2” max if I went bigger I could make a custom coupling but again if you have a source I’d be definitely interested in stepping up that size. I suppose I could get a ballscrew with the end turned down to 1/2 inch or turn it myself. But would not help end cost or ease of turnaround.

Downloads
    Uploads

Really my supplier of tooling plate promises .001” for flatness and .0005” for thickness. (Not sure the window of measurement on said tolerance spec. When ever we build mock up fixtures for production I use this plate in my design I suppose I should do some testing on the overall tolerance of that big of a plate. I know on a 41x41” plate I just recently built we had more variation in are machine table then was on the plate. We ended up calling out a company to regrind our table surface. We checked the plate on the CMM and it’s high point was +.0002 and it’s low point was -.0001 so a total of .0003” out. Across 41” with a line scan every .100” apart.

As far a the acme vs ball screw do you have a good source for a 72” ballscrew. I felt limited to what I could get online. Also Nema 23s the only coupling size I could find was 1/2” max if I went bigger I could make a custom coupling but again if you have a source I’d be definitely interested in stepping up that size. I suppose I could get a ballscrew with the end turned down to 1/2 inch or turn it myself. But would not help end cost or ease of turnaround.
    For cheap ballscrews Ebay from China you get what you pay for with these Ballscrews, you could take a look at Rockford Ballscrews Home - Rockford Ball Screw which are cheaper but better than the cheap China ballscrews, China does make good quality Ballscrews, but these cost more, then what sells on Ebay, if you want quality Ballscrews they will cost a lot more

That's some very good tooling plate, ( .001 ) and is not the norm, who is your supplier, here is the spec's for tooling plate, this is what most suppliers spec's are

Attached Files Attached Files
    Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Check BST Automation on AliExpress. He's a well respected and popular supplier.

With 72" bsllscrews, Nema 23 steppers are not going to be big enough to perform well.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

kodidavis29

This may help if you need to size a Ballscrew

Attached Files Attached Files
    Mactec54

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

For cheap ballscrews Ebay from China you get what you pay for with these Ballscrews, you could take a look at Rockford Ballscrews Home - Rockford Ball Screw which are cheaper but better than the cheap China ballscrews, China does make good quality Ballscrews, but these cost more, then what sells on Ebay, if you want quality Ballscrews they will cost a lot more

That's some very good tooling plate, ( .001 ) and is not the norm, who is your supplier, here is the spec's for tooling plate, this is what most suppliers spec's are
    Clinton aluminum out of Clinton ohio. As they are a distributor I don’t know what mill it comes out of. Also alro steel has been pretty good there mic 6 tooling plate has been pretty good but haven’t done flatness tests on it. Also I don’t know if it’s because we specify a flatness when purchasing I know the cost is typically a little higher then standard mic 6 plate but it justifys not having to post process the plate before building.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    Check BST Automation on AliExpress. He's a well respected and popular supplier.

With 72" bsllscrews, Nema 23 steppers are not going to be big enough to perform well.
    I’ll check them out. Really most builds I have seen use the nema 23s even on 8’ machines with 1/2” acme screws.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

kodidavis29

This may help if you need to size a Ballscrew
    Man thank you your bookmarks section on your browsers must be miles long lmao!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123