New Machine Build DIY finished 1200 x 800 CNC router build with @#%!%

Thread: DIY finished 1200 x 800 CNC router build with @#%!%

Downloads
    Uploads

Default DIY finished 1200 x 800 CNC router build with @#%!%

okay so I did it I build my dream CNC machine over the last year plus. It was built from 80/20 3"x3" with a moving Gantry in the Y axis and the Y axis is supported by 2 NEMA 34 motors with 850oz 2 phase, and the X axis is built with a single NEMA 34 same size motor. All are with linear rails SBR 20 and RM1605 Ball Screws and RM860a micro stepper drivers.Both Y and X axis seem to run good. Everything moves very well without motors. I just finished the build the other day and bought a license for Mach3 and started to set it up along with the system. I also have the same motor for the Z axis but is a bit stronger 980oz I think. Here is what I am up against and I am looking for some advise or help on how to jump this hurdle. My Z axis is supporting a 2.2Kw water cooled spindle and it is heavy. There is no problem lifting or moving around the space, however it was not designed the right way. I am not an engineer so I kind of used what I thought was the right dimensions, well I guess I got something wrong. I have not yet started the spindle as I am still trying to set up the table top and calibrating all axis. Right now the spindle is attached to the Z axis and like I said it seems to move up and down very smoothly, the problem is I under estimated the height from the waste board, if I lower the spindle to the "0" location "waste board level" I am a bit concerned that the spindle might not be secure enough. What I mean is where I placed the mounting plate on the X axis to carry the spindle I have to mount the spindle bracket too low on the plate for a comfortable fit. So I worry it's not right and I don't want to chance it after going this far and expense. So what I would like to do would be buy a prebuilt Z axis and replace what I thought was going to work. I have found several online but all I can find seem to fit the bill only they all seem to come preinstalled with NEMA 23 motors? I am new to this and after looking what seems like forever I can not get enough info to make me feel good enough to go with this size motor. If there was someone who might know the answer to this problem or maybe where I can get the right size Z axis without a motor.I could add another 25mm under the spoil board but then I am loosing that much travel on the Z axis and right now I only have about 150-170mm lift and because I am considering a 4th axis in the future I can't afford to loose that space. Ant help would be very much appreciated .Thanks, Pat

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: DIY finished 1200 x 800 CNC router build with @#%!%

Pictures would be helpful.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

OK here are a few pics of the problem ( dilemma ) I am having with the heavy spindle, as you can see the bracket is already too low on the plate and if you look behind the plate you can see the pillows are at the bottom of the Z axis and the spindle is already too low in the bracket. thanks, I guess I should have added these pic's first

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DIY finished 1200 x 800 CNC router build with @#%!%-img_1269-jpg   DIY finished 1200 x 800 CNC router build with @#%!%-img_1270-jpg   DIY finished 1200 x 800 CNC router build with @#%!%-img_1271-jpg   DIY finished 1200 x 800 CNC router build with @#%!%-img_1272-jpg  

DIY finished 1200 x 800 CNC router build with @#%!%-img_1273-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Is this something you've actually had problems with, or just something you're worried about? If it's the latter, then wait to see if it's really an issue - the Z-axis setup looks like a fairly standard one to me. If you've still got money to throw at this project, I'd say you'd get more improvement in rigidity by replacing what look to be unsupported rails on the Y axis with supported ones, preferably using profile rails rather than the round type.

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Downloads
    Uploads

Pat,

Have you cut anything yet? You may be projecting an issue that is not going to effect the type of work you would like to do.

You can use a 1-1/2 horsepower saw to cut a 2"x4" or a 1000 horse lumber mill.

Welcome to the Zone,

Jeff...

Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

Downloads
    Uploads

There's no simple method to get a lot of gantry clearance, and still have a rigid Z axis, as it has to reach a long way down to the table.

I don't really think what you have is that bad.

Where you are going to be disappointed I think, is the slow speeds you are likely to see, due to the large motors, and 5mm pitch screws.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

I think you may have something there with the speed... it really does well in the X and Z but the Y axis is kind of slow so I was thinking about a larger or more rigid screw's right now they are 1605 1500mm w/5 degree pitch? So that would be something to think about but that is not my worry right now. I am a bit concerned about how far the reach is on the Z axis, but I think I am going to try and cut something first. I guess because this is my first build the thought of doing all the setup in mach3 only to find out I need to rebuild is counter productive, but I guess the bright side of this is a good learning experience. Thank you for your input

I guess you're becoming aware of the compromises inherent in designing and building your own machine. I have a pretty large gap between the gantry bottom and deck top, but typically I won't cut anything deeper than a guitar body blank (which is usually 2"" or so thick max), So, I have a spoil board on top of the main deck of the machine and on top of that I put the fixture that holds the bodies and necks for cutting. That makes sure the Z isn't over extended which will CAN cause flex problems. If you find yourself needing to cut all the way to the bottom of the deck of your machine, just get more conservative with your feeds and speeds.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by PJRU0304 View Post
    OK here are a few pics of the problem ( dilemma ) I am having with the heavy spindle, as you can see the bracket is already too low on the plate and if you look behind the plate you can see the pillows are at the bottom of the Z axis and the spindle is already too low in the bracket. thanks, I guess I should have added these pic's first
    Im not seeing a huge issue in any of those pictures related to the Z axis. By definition you have a light weight/duty machine here as you have used round rails and fairly thin cross sections in some of your structural members. This isnt a bad thing as long as yiu understand the limitations that are imposed.

Beyond all of that there is no reason to mave the nose of the spidke touch the table. Most likely you will be using spoil boards or fixtures that will raise the work some combined with the fact that all cutters stick out a bit from the spindle you have even less of a reason to contact the table with the spindle.

While it is hard to tell from the pictures you may have a bigger problrm with the return stroke. Ideally running the spindle all the way up should allow you to clear any commonly used tool.

As someone mentioned above machine building or design is all about compromize. You have your machine built already so ghere is no point in fretting over one design element. Instead run the machine doing real work and identify what are its short comings for the work you do. You may find that other elements are of bigger concern or that you might need a bigger machine. Or whatever, the point here is to find the real shortcomings based on your exoectations and needs.

Downloads
    Uploads

thanks for your input.
    Quote Originally Posted by wizard View Post
    Im not seeing a huge issue in any of those pictures related to the Z axis. By definition you have a light weight/duty machine here as you have used round rails and fairly thin cross sections in some of your structural members. This isnt a bad thing as long as yiu understand the limitations that are imposed. Beyond all of that there is no reason to mave the nose of the spidke touch the table. Most likely you will be using spoil boards or fixtures that will raise the work some combined with the fact that all cutters stick out a bit from the spindle you have even less of a reason to contact the table with the spindle. While it is hard to tell from the pictures you may have a bigger problrm with the return stroke. Ideally running the spindle all the way up should allow you to clear any commonly used tool. As someone mentioned above machine building or design is all about compromize. You have your machine built already so ghere is no point in fretting over one design element. Instead run the machine doing real work and identify what are its short comings for the work you do. You may find that other elements are of bigger concern or that you might need a bigger machine. Or whatever, the point here is to find the real shortcomings based on your exoectations and needs.
    - - - Updated - - -

thanks for your input
    Quote Originally Posted by fretman_2 View Post
    I guess you're becoming aware of the compromises inherent in designing and building your own machine. I have a pretty large gap between the gantry bottom and deck top, but typically I won't cut anything deeper than a guitar body blank (which is usually 2"" or so thick max), So, I have a spoil board on top of the main deck of the machine and on top of that I put the fixture that holds the bodies and necks for cutting. That makes sure the Z isn't over extended which will CAN cause flex problems. If you find yourself needing to cut all the way to the bottom of the deck of your machine, just get more conservative with your feeds and speeds.