Problem Masso CNC Control Issues - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Masso CNC Control Issues

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Masso CNC Control Issues

That is why they have thread milling (;-)

(;-) TP

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by OlfCNC View Post
    I got it but I can lock the 2.2kW chinese spindle with my fingers when it is running at 1500-2000 RPM so it really has about zero torque at low speed.
    The other issue is that the motor will overheat if it is an air cooled one because the ventillation is low at low RPM. It is not a problem with the water cooled version.
    Thanks guys for the info I didn’t realize that a 3 hp water cooled spindle was so weak. I guess once my router is done I’ll have to grab the spindle and see if I still have any fingers left. Jk I would never get my hands near any equipment while running. I have no desire to be a victim of natural selection.

Thanks for the thread mill cutter idea, I just figured that since my router is super rigid and my controller supports rigid tapping it was worth asking. But since the general consensus is I would need a spindle like a vmc has the dream is dead and I will have to try a thread mill cutter.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks guys for the info I didn’t realize that a 3 hp water cooled spindle was so weak
    The minimum recommended speed on them is usually 6000 rpm.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

I honestly don’t know why people hate so much on Centroid since they seem to have a very stable controller that just works
    Nobody is hating on Centroid.
    People just have different preferences or requirements.

If there was one perfect control, then everyone would use it. But there's not, so people use what they like best, or what best suits their needs.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Ntl View Post
    Thanks guys for the info I didn’t realize that a 3 hp water cooled spindle was so weak. I guess once my router is done I’ll have to grab the spindle and see if I still have any fingers left. Jk I would never get my hands near any equipment while running. I have no desire to be a victim of natural selection.

Thanks for the thread mill cutter idea, I just figured that since my router is super rigid and my controller supports rigid tapping it was worth asking. But since the general consensus is I would need a spindle like a vmc has the dream is dead and I will have to try a thread mill cutter.
    Of course I'm not touching anything with my bare fingers. Remove the chuch so it is a perfectly round threaded rod rotating which can't hurt you easily. 1000-2000 RPM is not very fast. Put on gloves and you can stop the spindle easily without risking your fingers.
    The 3HP spindle is not weak at all but it was designed to be used on higher RPMs. Any spindles give it's rated power on rated RPM and as the RPM is getting lower so the power. At below about 3000 RPM it's power is close to zero.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by OlfCNC View Post
    And my concern about the Acorn is that things are limited and fixed. No built in screen designer, no plugin interface, no custom stuff and only 4 axis, so it is too old style too old thinkingly designed for me.
    Things are limited and fixed because it was designed/copied from a commercial machine.
    It's not customization friendly, because it isn't a computer for tinkering, it's a computer for working. It is a working stable platform with a real CNC house backing it.

It isn't for everyone, but it's the closest thing to a factory CNC board. If you want a frilly interface then it isn't for you. Eventually there will be more axis.

Clay

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Ntl View Post
    “The Acorn i/o expansion board has been approved for development, this will allow expanded i/o for Acorn for use with step and direction drives to run more complicated machine tools that requires lots of i/o.” Per Centroid

Centroid already has a expansion board for other i/o and you should re-read the cnc12 manual since it can be custom configured.

Dan
    Centroid does, but Acorn doesn't have an expansion board yet.
    8 inputs, 8 outputs, 4 axis currently

PS, I love my Acorn board, and my other Centroid Mill

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by frijoli View Post
    Things are limited and fixed because it was designed/copied from a commercial machine.
    It's not customization friendly, because it isn't a computer for tinkering, it's a computer for working. It is a working stable platform with a real CNC house backing it.

It isn't for everyone, but it's the closest thing to a factory CNC board. If you want a frilly interface then it isn't for you. Eventually there will be more axis.

Clay
    Actually I don't need more than 4 axis now but yes I like when I can make changes on the user interface and I like to add custom buttons and LEDs which support my custom functions but it is not a problem with UCCNC, so I'm happy with that.

Downloads
    Uploads

I wish this were the case I’ve had centroid since they released acorn on two machines, neither are running right to this day. Support is here or there and much of the time it’s as though they don’t understand the issue because they don’t believe it. Mach and Linux on the other hand have been decent. Funny though what works for some won’t for others I see it all the time. Makes you wonder about different hardware capabilities despite they should all function universally. One thing with acorn and i did set it aside for a year it isn’t all that straight forward if you have the digitizing bundle you will find things like saving .dig files to ncfile folders and other idiosyncrasies where the programmers did not make it as user friendly as something like Mach. With Mach I literally connected it and started machining parts the same day so I tend to think it’s more for beginners or those of us who have been manual machinists for years. I’ve spent the last 3 weeks with centroid everyday and all the buggy issues have prevented me from machining one finished part. Not to get into details but it’s been a lot of what seem to be software issues, or perhaps a windows compatibility issue. One of the same machines I swapped back out with Mach and it is fine. Giving it a couple more weeks before I’m letting it go. I want to be sure I’ve read the manual front and back before that moment I raise the white flag.

Quote Originally Posted by frijoli View Post
    Acorn can and does tandem. However only 4 axis total right now. (tandem Y, plus X and Z which is 4)
    It is stable and reliable.

Clay

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Uguessedit View Post
    I wish this were the case I’ve had centroid since they released acorn on two machines, neither are running right to this day. Support is here or there and much of the time it’s as though they don’t understand the issue because they don’t believe it. Mach and Linux on the other hand have been decent. Funny though what works for some won’t for others I see it all the time. Makes you wonder about different hardware capabilities despite they should all function universally. One thing with acorn and i did set it aside for a year it isn’t all that straight forward if you have the digitizing bundle you will find things like saving .dig files to ncfile folders and other idiosyncrasies where the programmers did not make it as user friendly as something like Mach. With Mach I literally connected it and started machining parts the same day so I tend to think it’s more for beginners or those of us who have been manual machinists for years. I’ve spent the last 3 weeks with centroid everyday and all the buggy issues have prevented me from machining one finished part. Not to get into details but it’s been a lot of what seem to be software issues, or perhaps a windows compatibility issue. One of the same machines I swapped back out with Mach and it is fine. Giving it a couple more weeks before I’m letting it go. I want to be sure I’ve read the manual front and back before that moment I raise the white flag.
    This is why I'm using UCCNC, because it is pretty stabile, more stabile as Mach3 and is customisable and has more functionality as the Acorn.

Quote Originally Posted by Uguessedit View Post
    I’ve been using one of the Masso controllers since January and I’ve been really happy with it. I like that I don’t have to have a second computer in my garage. I send the files to it over WiFi from my office.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12