Problem Masso CNC Control Issues

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Masso CNC Control Issues

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Masso CNC Control Issues

Where do I start with this one?.. I built a 60x60 router and bought a 5 Axis Masso to control it.
    I have Y and B axis slaved (had) and I wanted 1 axis for rotary milling.
    Masso software does not allow for USB hubs of any sort so USB extenders wont work which means the Masso needs to be in close proximity to the machine (not good).
    I downloaded the latest Alpha release software and the USB issue was resolved - many new problems occurred.

When I home my machine, Z is first, then X and Y-B slaved.
    Z will home then X then Y will move for 2-3 seconds (without B!!) then B will move. - if I press the E-Stop during the Y only movement then the B moves for a second (after E-Stop through the Masso).
    Hind Technologies says that the Y-B axis moving independently is a feature to square up a gantry on more flexible machines.
    -At no time should a slaved axis EVER move intentionally independently. (if so, have a check box to disable that feature).
    My machine is ballscrew driven and made of heavy, rigid extrusion that is bolted together - not a flexible design.
    This problem was solved by wiring both the B and Y servo controllers in parallel directly to the Masso Y axis port.
    Guess I didn't need to pay extra for the 5 Axis after all!...

Next issue was testing my machine with Masso's built in Conversational Cam. I tried both circle and rectangle G code and both failed to run completely.
    There are to many other problems with the Masso for me to recommend it to anyone.

I've built half a dozen CNC's and I tend to sell them off to small businesses to build something else. I was hoping that the Masso was an easy control solution to package with my machines.
    I was wrong.

Looks like UCCNC is going to be my goto..

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Masso CNC Control Issues

Similar story that many other Masso user's have told.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

I feel for your frustration, the market is rip for a low cost, innovative solution but sadly that has yet to materialize.

As for slaved axis it is fairly common in motion control to have a slaved axis move independently switching slaved mode on and off as needed. Granted for the CNC use you have here it doesn't make sense but the feature is worthwhile in a CNC for those square up routines. It does sound like there are still way too many implementation issues with MASSO. I do hope that they can get things stabilized as the idea behind MASSO is pretty good.

@Barbourj22 have you given up on the Masso or were you able to work through some of the issues?

Did the update that just came out address any of your concerns?

I have already bought one, but my router won’t be ready to run for a while, so just wanting to prepare myself for what is around the corner. I don’t want to buy something else until I’ve tried it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by BrokenHorn View Post
    @Barbourj22 have you given up on the Masso or were you able to work through some of the issues?

Did the update that just came out address any of your concerns?

I have already bought one, but my router won’t be ready to run for a while, so just wanting to prepare myself for what is around the corner. I don’t want to buy something else until I’ve tried it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Take a serious look at Acorn by Centroid!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Do you want to run tandem/parallel motors?
    If so, good luck.

I gave up on it. A pc with software and a dedicated CNC controller is best.
    I went with the uc300eth and breakout board c62.
    With Mach 3.
    Always buy motors and controller together so they can be tested for function within a reasonable return time

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by frijoli View Post
    Take a serious look at Acorn by Centroid!
    +1

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by barbourj22 View Post
    If so, good luck.

With Mach 3.
    Always buy motors and controller together so they can be tested for function within a reasonable return time
    Mach3 and UCCNC are simple to setup and customizable. The UC300ETH works with both Mach3 and UCCNC and you can switch between the softwares any time. Much more reliable than LPT ports.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by barbourj22 View Post
    If so, good luck.

With Mach 3.
    Acorn can and does tandem. However only 4 axis total right now. (tandem Y, plus X and Z which is 4)
    It is stable and reliable.

Clay

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by frijoli View Post
    Acorn can and does tandem. However only 4 axis total right now. (tandem Y, plus X and Z which is 4)
    It is stable and reliable.

Clay
    UCCNC can also do tandem and automatic gantry aligning using separate home switches on the 2 sides and it can do upto 6 axes. It is very stable and reliable.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by OlfCNC View Post
    UCCNC can also do tandem and automatic gantry aligning using separate home switches on the 2 sides and it can do upto 6 axes. It is very stable and reliable.
    Sure, but Acorn was designed, built, and supported by a CNC machine manufacturer with over 30years experience.
    Use what you feel most comfortable with.

I was only pointing out that there are actual professional boards out there that do tandem.

Clay

Downloads
    Uploads

The UCCNC was designed and supported by a company working with CNC controls and designing machine and motor controls since 1999.
    I'm using the UCCNC close to 2 years now on a plasma machine and on a router and they never miss a beat. So I'm comfortable with that.

Downloads
    Uploads

And my concern about the Acorn is that things are limited and fixed. No built in screen designer, no plugin interface, no custom stuff and only 4 axis, so it is too old style too old thinkingly designed for me.

Downloads
    Uploads

And my concern about the Acorn is that things are limited and fixed. No built in screen designer, no plugin interface, no custom stuff and only 4 axis, so it is too old style too old thinkingly designed for me.
    “The Acorn i/o expansion board has been approved for development, this will allow expanded i/o for Acorn for use with step and direction drives to run more complicated machine tools that requires lots of i/o.” Per Centroid

Centroid already has a expansion board for other i/o and you should re-read the cnc12 manual since it can be custom configured.

I personally am just building a simple router and Acorn is more than enough for me. If you need a board for a more complicated servo drive cnc machine look at the Centroid Oak board.

I honestly don’t know why people hate so much on Centroid since they seem to have a very stable controller that just works. I personally went this direction since I don’t want to be a computer programmer and just want to cut parts.

Btw is UCCNC touch screen out of the box with out any additional hardware other than a touchscreen monitor and require zero effort to have it up and running? Also does UCCNC have a spindle encoder input for rigid tapping?

Disclaimer: I have zero experience with UCCNC or any other cnc controller other than trying out the mach 3 demo prior to getting the Acorn. That said my limited use of cnc12 granted I’ve only bench tested it, has been good and straight forward so far. Maybe I like it because I don’t have a preference other than I want something that is simple and just works.

Maybe if you owned a Centroid controller or used a machine with one your opinion would change.

Just my personal opinion for what it’s worth and who knows maybe once my machine is up and running for some time I will feel different and will jump on the UCCNC train. However I doubt it since I’ve read nothing but good things from the owners and operators of the Acorn/cnc12 controller. I’m sure it’s not perfect but nothing that is man made is.

Dan

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Ntl View Post
    Btw is UCCNC touch screen out of the box with out any additional hardware other than a touchscreen monitor and require zero effort to have it up and running? Also does UCCNC have a spindle encoder input for rigid tapping?
    Yes. Windows handles the touchscreen without any additional hardware and anything and it works fine with the UCCNC.
    Yes. It supports spindle encoder and it can do rigid tapping.

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes. Windows handles the touchscreen without any additional hardware and anything and it works fine with the UCCNC.
    Yes. It supports spindle encoder and it can do rigid tapping.

Has anyone figured out how to put a encoder on a router spindle, “the cheap Chinese water cooled ones”? It’s something I would love to have for my router.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Ntl View Post
    Has anyone figured out how to put a encoder on a router spindle, “the cheap Chinese water cooled ones”? It’s something I would love to have for my router.
    You want to tap with a chinese router spindle?
    I don't think it's a good idea. Those spindles torque is very low under around 3000 RPM and you want to make taps in that low RPM range.

Downloads
    Uploads

You want to tap with a chinese router spindle?
    I don't think it's a good idea. Those spindles torque is very low under around 3000 RPM and you want to make taps in that low RPM range.
    Not trying to use it for steel. I’m talking plastic or aluminum sheet not plate. I know it’s not a vertical mill and I’m not trying to use it like one.

Thanks anyway

Downloads
    Uploads

I got it but I can lock the 2.2kW chinese spindle with my fingers when it is running at 1500-2000 RPM so it really has about zero torque at low speed.
    The other issue is that the motor will overheat if it is an air cooled one because the ventillation is low at low RPM. It is not a problem with the water cooled version.

Downloads
    Uploads

Even if it had enough torque to tap with it, I don't think you can control it precisely enough with the VFD.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast