Need Help! I need help making a replacement Y Axis Rail for my CNC Mogul router

Thread: I need help making a replacement Y Axis Rail for my CNC Mogul router

Downloads
    Uploads

Default I need help making a replacement Y Axis Rail for my CNC Mogul router

Hello,

I've have had a CNC Mogul 4x8 foot CNC Router for several years. Unlike some others on here, I have had good luck with it. I have had no electrical or mechanical problems. It's been in a hackerspace environment its entire life too. But anyways...

As I said, it's a 4x8 foot beast. I want to make it smaller (keep the X 4 feet and make the Y axis 2 feet). I could cut the Y axis rails down but I'd never be able to go back to 8 feet, so that's out of the question. I'd like new, shorter, Y rails but as you probably know, CNC Mogul is no more. I've tried calling the old owner, Mike Stone, at a phone number I found on this forum but it's not connected here.

I called Phil at Gryphon CNC. The machines look similar but they are not compatible with each other. So the Gryphon Y axis rails can not be used with the CNC Mogul gantry.

So, I need to make my own rails. I'm fine with that. The aluminum extrusion is Makerslide. However, my problem is finding the correct Rack Gear and spacer.

Phil gave me a tip and said that he thinks the CNC Mogul Rack Gear was from SDP-SI. They have Metric and Inch plastic Rack Gears.
    Metric - http://www.sdp-si.com/PDFS/Racks-and...ges-Metric.pdf
    Inch - http://www.sdp-si.com/PDFS/Racks-and...auges-inch.pdf

This is what I observed from my CNC Mogul's rack:
    Height - about 0.250 inches
    Width - about 0.250 inches (6.24mm)
    Measured Pitch - 7.5 TPI (10 teeth cover 33mm, or 1.3 inches)
    Spacer under rack is about 0.080 inches thick, that's 2mm.
    Rack Gear is Grey in color, implying it's Acetal per SDP-SI's catalog.

But the 7.5 TPI doesn't match an inch-based rack gear and the metric rack gears don't have a pitch, they have a 'module'. I looked into this and can not figure it out for 100% certainty.

Can anyone determine what size the CNC Mogul rack gear is?

A photo is attached showing how the parts are oriented.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!