CNC router build - Page 18

Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 815161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: CNC router build

ericks

Default Re: CNC router build

Progress.....i worked out how much and what cable i needed for the spindle, steppers and sensors, decided to order Lapp cable. Drag chain and cable ordered, cyclone for the cnc dust extraction ordered. Managed to tidy up around the cnc and shed a bit. Getting ready to mill a lot of aluminium this week. The control panel is also back in place

CNC router build-cncx-jpgCNC router build-cncy-jpgCNC router build-cncw-jpg

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CNC router build-cncx-jpg   CNC router build-cncy-jpg   CNC router build-cncw-jpg  

ericks

Some of the cable arrived, picked up the aluminium. Took me a long time to complete one of the side plates.....

CNC router build-img20190214132209-jpgCNC router build-b5-jpgCNC router build-b7-jpg

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CNC router build-img20190214132209-jpg   CNC router build-b5-jpg   CNC router build-b7-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

I did a 3D model in Fusion 360 of my machine and felt pretty confident that everything was finalized to start cutting the Al plates. I thankfully decided to do a test machine from plywood which helped me amend my design. I am actually using the plywood machine to cut the Al plates and I am surprised how stiff it is!!! I am having great results so far.

ericks

Quote Originally Posted by Phil_Par View Post
    I did a 3D model in Fusion 360 of my machine and felt pretty confident that everything was finalized to start cutting the Al plates. I thankfully decided to do a test machine from plywood which helped me amend my design. I am actually using the plywood machine to cut the Al plates and I am surprised how stiff it is!!! I am having great results so far.
    I really should improve my cad skills....i made a few mistakes on the sizing that is causing a delay in the build. Yes making test pieces really helps, my acrylic parts allowed me to sort some design faults. The only problem now is my little 6040 takes so long to mill the aluminium. Wow i did not think that plywood would be so rigid....good work!!

ericks

Looks like the first side plate fits reasonably well. The holes for the proximity and e-chain bracket still need to be done soon as i decide on their location.

CNC router build-side1-jpg

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CNC router build-side1-jpg  

ericks

Most of the temporary acrylic parts replaced with aluminium. Only one bearing block left to do. Everything seem to run smooth. Installed the first cable for the VFD....still waiting for the e-chain to arrive.

CNC router build-ma1-jpgCNC router build-ma2-jpgCNC router build-ma3-jpgCNC router build-ma4-jpg

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CNC router build-ma1-jpg   CNC router build-ma2-jpg   CNC router build-ma3-jpg   CNC router build-ma4-jpg  

Last edited by ericks; 02-20-2019 at 11:32 AM.

ericks

All the acrylic bits are replaced. Next part is to machine the y-axis plates for the ball screw bearings. I could only find 16 mm plate in stock at my supplier....hope this will be rigid enough. At least there are two plates that will share the load. The motor brackets require a bit of machining too. All the cable arrived which is great. Expecting possible test run in a couple of weeks

Downloads
    Uploads

A video is mandatory to record her first steps

ericks

Quote Originally Posted by Phil_Par View Post
    A video is mandatory to record her first steps
    I am sure i can do that

ericks

Progress....all four y-axis ball screw brackets machined and fitted. Y-axis rails lined up. Only the two ball nut brackets to machine. Also the three stepper motor brackets require a bit of machining.
    The e-chain has gone missing, the courier company is trying to find out what they did with it.....I pulled in all the cables.

Looks like i might start the machine before next weekend

CNC router build-yaxis4-jpgCNC router build-yaxis-jpg

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CNC router build-yaxis4-jpg   CNC router build-yaxis-jpg  

ericks

Managed a bit of work today...
    I will need to machine terminal boxes for the stepper motors cause i would like to properly connect the screened cable

CNC router build-t1-jpgCNC router build-t2-jpgCNC router build-t4-jpg

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CNC router build-t2-jpg   CNC router build-t1-jpg   CNC router build-t4-jpg  

ericks

The e-chain bending radius is a little smaller than i like. However i am still within the cable bending specs. Hope to complete the cabling tomorrow...

CNC router build-echain1-jpgCNC router build-echain2-jpg

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CNC router build-echain1-jpg   CNC router build-echain2-jpg  

ericks

At last i completed the x-axis alignment of the ball screw/bracket. Both sections e-chain are in place, spindle cable is connected.
    I really hope i can do the first cut on the machine this weekend

CNC router build-spindle1-jpgCNC router build-spindle2-jpgCNC router build-spindle3-jpg

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CNC router build-spindle1-jpg   CNC router build-spindle2-jpg   CNC router build-spindle3-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

It looks very nice and heavy duty. Should work fine fir you.

1000x750 Workbee CNC - Mach4 - PMDX USB - Windows 10 Pro

ericks

Quote Originally Posted by wmgeorge View Post
    It looks very nice and heavy duty. Should work fine fir you.
    Thank you. I sure hope so, i will add rigidity if required.

Downloads
    Uploads

Oh.... I do not think you will need too. I am impressed. Where did you get that spindle and Hp rating?

ericks

Quote Originally Posted by wmgeorge View Post
    Oh.... I do not think you will need too. I am impressed. Where did you get that spindle and Hp rating?
    Thanks. Here is the pic of the motor specs and the terminal box. As you can see they at least have a good terminal box on their motors.

CNC router build-ahertz1-jpg

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CNC router build-ahertz1-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

All spindles should have such a nice termination box. Thanks for posting.

ericks

All the cables strapped in position, i left space for later upgrades....

CNC router build-cable1-jpg

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CNC router build-cable1-jpg  

ericks

Well....today i managed to start the machine for the first time. Everything went well....

Tomorrow i need to look at setting the optimal values for the stepper motors. This is something i did more than seven years ago on the 6040.
    So i will have to start experimenting....

Or maybe someone can advise me on settings??

These are the specs....

1) Nema 34 / 4.5 NM steppers
    2) 2005 ball screws on y-axis
    3) 2005 ball screw on x-axis
    4) 1610 ball screw on z-axis
    5) 48V /DC power supply

Any assistance would be much appreciated

Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 815161718192021 ... LastLast