Uploads

Default Re: CNC router build

very neat!

ericks

Thank you....how is your build going??

ericks

Just another update.....very frustrating cause my build is going very slow. Gave myself 12 months due to cost and work commitments. I have now finished painting the machine stand, decided to buy a larger panel because i would like to fit everything in one control box...including the VSD. Going with a Delta drive, only because i know the salesman and he gives me great prices on Electrical equipment. The control panel will be 600 mm x 500 mm x 200 mm.
    I am thinking of closed loop Leadshine stepper drives for the two Y- axis motors and the X- axis...for the Z- axis just a standard open loop drive. For the spindle a Technomotor....not sure what size to go for, can anyone please give me some advise on the size spindle....i currently use a Kress 1050 on my Chinese 6040 and it works really well....Do i really have to go to 2.2KW?? reason i ask is because i see lots of guys going for this size...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CNC router build-table10-jpg  

ericks

Update....my mate picked up the new enclosure for me, he managed to drop it and one of the hinges broke where it was spot welded,,,,also a bit of paint damage. I managed to make a new modified hinge and take out the dents. Not good but what can you do

Started with the cooling fan installation, going to place the fan on the outside to free up more space inside the panel. Next is the filter installation....

I am doing these little updates hoping that someone might benefit from them.....i install the filter on the one bottom side and the fan on the opposite top side, i have found that this method works best for me. The plan is not to run the fan continuously but to have it start only when the temperature inside the box goes above a set point.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CNC router build-fan5-jpg   CNC router build-panel14-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ericks View Post
    Do i really have to go to 2.2KW?? reason i ask is because i see lots of guys going for this size...
    Typically everything smaller than the 2.2kW spindles use ER-11 collets, which are only good for 1/4" and smaller tools. 2.2kW spindles typically have ER-20 collets which are good for 1/2" tools.

ericks

Thank you
    I am building a relatively rigid machine but i am limited by my power supply at home....so i think around 0.75 - 1.5 Kw

Downloads
    Uploads

What do you have for power?

ericks

I am installing a 20A power point.....the standard size here is 10A. I really dont want to go beyond 20A.
    Will be running four Nema 34 steppers and a vacuum cleaner...

Downloads
    Uploads

I am installing a 20A power point.....the standard size here is 10A. I really dont want to go beyond 20A.
    Will be running four Nema 34 steppers and a vacuum cleaner...
    From experience, I would not run my power supply for the drives and vacuum cleaner on the same circuit....

ericks

You are correct, i don't really have a choice, we only have a single phase supply at our house.

Downloads
    Uploads

You can still run off of a different circuit with single phase. Full size shop vac's draw quite a bit of current when they turn on. Probably at least 15A on 230V (30A here in the US.) So yeah, more than the circuits are rated for, but it's only for a very short time so the breaker doesn't trip. Problem is the whole circuit voltage gets pulled down when that happens.

I think that the capacitors in the power supply will more than handle any temporary voltage differential...but if the shop vac pulls your voltage down for any length of time you better get a smaller shop vac.

Downloads
    Uploads

Sorry, kind of incomplete thought on the last one. Shop vac's tend to also put a lot of noise on the line (especially while starting,) if you don't have a great power supply or your wiring isn't great, some of that noise can get through.
    Plus turning the vac on might be the bit that puts the breaker over the edge and trips.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by skrubol View Post
    You can still run off of a different circuit with single phase. Full size shop vac's draw quite a bit of current when they turn on. Probably at least 15A on 230V (30A here in the US.) So yeah, more than the circuits are rated for, but it's only for a very short time so the breaker doesn't trip. Problem is the whole circuit voltage gets pulled down when that happens.
    It's happened to me a couple times, where I was busy doing other tasks in the shop, the shop vac's filter gets clogged, or a drop-off gets sucked in and stuck in the hose, creating a clog, so at the same time the vac starts bogging down and before the router starts bogging down because it's recutting chips that aren't being vacuumed - the breaker trips. If you're doing 2.5D cuts it's not too difficult to pick up where you left off. If it's a big 3D bas-relief artwork, then it can be a problem...

ericks

Thanks for the advise guys its much appreciated
    I will do a few things to limit the risk of "electrical noise" and nuisance tripping....

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I am doing these little updates hoping that someone might benefit from them.....i install the filter on the one bottom side and the fan on the opposite top side, i have found that this method works best for me. The plan is not to run the fan continuously but to have it start only when the temperature inside the box goes above a set point.
    I will start with my control box soon so I will be watching for any good tips you have! Keep em' coming!

Best of luck!

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi, it pays to have a separate supply line direct form your main breaker supply board.......this should be only for the "shop" use and separate from the house ring mains.

Some years ago I had a 220 volt 20 amp supply installed to the house for a refrig air conditioner that never got used as I'm on evap cooling, so the line got re-positioned to the garage.....having a welding set-up too meant the extra amps were needed.

One solution to power line fluctuations I've come across in another life was a large on line capacitor that smoothed out any ripples etc.

In OZ we have safety earth leakage trip devices fitted and they trip if you get a few milliamps of short circuit so you won't get fried if you have a nasty.

The problem is they sometimes trip for no reason at all....... probably a ripple on the line.

I have a UPS for my desktop computer and CCTV camera set-up and I think it will pay to get one for the mill and it's computer as well as a sudden trip out will bring it all to a crashing halt...........the mill and computer being on a single phase 10 amp breaker off the 20 amp supply.
    Ian.

ericks

Quote Originally Posted by nikdan View Post
    I will start with my control box soon so I will be watching for any good tips you have! Keep em' coming!

Best of luck!
    Thank you, all the best with your build!

1) Finally fitted the control panel, added a vent to the side of the stand.
    2) Received the 5V psu, 0.5mm cable, slotted aluminium din rail and fuses from Rs Components.
    3) Still waiting for the 25mm x 40mm slotted trunking (narrow slots).
    4) The VSD, Leadshine drives and 48V psu will have to wait a little.
    5) I am not installing any push buttons....the hmi will be the input device. Maybe i'll upgrade to a color touchscreen later.
    6) Maybe i will use a LM35 temperature sensor and a 8 pin pic for temperature measurement....would be good to add a few extra features like over temperature alarm and trip...
    7) Maybe a hall effect sensor for the limits due to it's compact size....

Tip.....if you use slotted trunking then cut back the trunking where the trunking's come together, this will free up space for your cables. I use narrow slots for this application due to the small cable sizes.
    Tip.....even though i have the white narrow relays and they good for space saving i would not use them....over the years they have proven to fail too often.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CNC router build-stuff4-jpg   CNC router build-stuff3-jpg  

ericks

Ian the Harmonics from the caused by VSD's can cause RCD's to trip....i am originally from South Africa, there i used to install RCD's that were made for these applications. I was searching last night but could not find any here in Aus...
    Also we have lots of switch mode power supplies that can effect the RCD's....

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi, I spent all my early youth in South Africa from 1948 to 1968 before the politics started to get dodgy......sigh.....another time another place.......went back there in 2005, the expected meltdown just never happened......now I'm a 100% Ozolite.

I must say, you're putting lots of "thingies" in the build........that's the trademark of an electronics person......more things to go bang in the middle of the night.....metaphorically speaking.

I'm a simple person, electronically speaking, that thinks that a wire from A to B is high tech if it has a rocker switch in the middle of it.

The fan on my cabinet is a 150mm pancake type and runs continuously as soon as the mill is switched on.

The big problem with circuit board and cabinet fan cooling is it drags a lot of dust into the cabinet.......some form of filter is needed in that department or you'll get a grotty interior in a short time.

I've pondered if it's best to blow filtered clean air in or suck the warm air out with a filter on a separate intake.......my opinion is the first way....if you blow filtered clean air in it pressurises the cabinet and auto excludes any dust entry same as clean room technology.

One thing's for sure.....during Summer, some years back, after a big blow we got a load of muck from as far away as the Mallee and it gets in everywhere.......I thought about pressurising my garage but the roller door has too much clearance to do that.

I might just fit a filter box for the fan on the outside of the cabinet as the fan already blows into it.
    Ian.

Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast