CNC router build - Page 24

Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 142122232425 LastLast

Thread: CNC router build

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: CNC router build

Had a closer look at the pwm signal from Mach3 and the bob. What i found was noise on my 5 V, i did not have time to check the 12 and 24 V....however i am sure it's there too. The noise is caused by the VFD, most likely generating the noise back into the mains then through the power supply. It's unlikely to affect the 5 V digital signals. I should have taken a photo of it

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Today i confirmed that the noise is coming through the 230/5 volt power supply. Looking at doing the following:

1) Remove the 12 and 5 volt power supplies.
    2) Remove the Schneider Zelio plc/smart relay.
    3) Make up my own plc/smart relay.....with an on board filtered 5 volt power supply. The microcontroller will do all the machine logic and also do the Mach3 pwm to 0-10V conversion.

I need to think carefully to try and include all the stuff i might need ...i wont make a fancy board only a through hole board with a few surface mount components, will modify one of my old plc board designs.

Any ideas or advise will be much appreciated

CNC router build-test-jpg

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CNC router build-test-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Its been a while since i programmed a micro. Fortunately i managed to run a pwm signal from the micro.....read it accurately on another pin. All that is left is to build and test the converter circuit to convert my micro output to 0-10 V. It might seem to some as overkill but with the micro i can do a few tricks...one is to have the spindle running with zero variation and have the speed exactly as set by Mach3. At least that is the plan

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have just completed making up a pwm to 10 V converter. Using the power supplies that caused the initial issues on the 5 axis board, i am getting excellent control over the spindle from mach3. The noise is not affecting anything re analog signal. Also the speed is linear, without any compensating in the micro code....
    I will still make up the noise filtered 5 V dc-dc converter that i use on my microcontroller power supplies. After final testing i will complete the little board, and if anyone has a similar setup with similar issues then i am willing to send them a board for testing/help.

CNC router build-test2-jpgCNC router build-test3-jpgCNC router build-test4-jpg

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CNC router build-test2-jpg   CNC router build-test3-jpg   CNC router build-test4-jpg  

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ericks View Post
    Its been a while since i programmed a micro. Fortunately i managed to run a pwm signal from the micro.....read it accurately on another pin. All that is left is to build and test the converter circuit to convert my micro output to 0-10 V. It might seem to some as overkill but with the micro i can do a few tricks...one is to have the spindle running with zero variation and have the speed exactly as set by Mach3. At least that is the plan
    Good job in finding a fix be interesting to see your board when you have it finished I have one that I have been trying out, but does not have the micro part It has a linear output and a pot to adjust the 0-10v

Mactec54

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Good job in finding a fix be interesting to see your board when you have it finished I have one that I have been trying out, but does not have the micro part It has a linear output and a pot to adjust the 0-10v
    Thanks Mac.....i will make a simple basic board now due to time constraints, later i want to make one with more functions, basically a little plc.
    I was going to order an off the shelf board but i did not want to get something that would not work properly. This one will be simple, a 24V to 12V/5V converter, these voltages will be available for the machine. Like i said a 8 pin pic micro and an opamp, also a trimpot to adjust the opamp output.

Anyway it still needs to pass the test once it's built on a board and installed in it's place

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

A couple of weeks ago i purchased a sandblaster. Hooked it up today and media blasted my Z-Axis motor bracket. What i like is all the machine marks are gone

CNC router build-zmotor-jpg

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CNC router build-zmotor-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Supply installed and connected....

CNC router build-power2-jpgCNC router build-power1-jpg

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CNC router build-power2-jpg   CNC router build-power1-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Looking great!

I would quite like a good blasting cabinet.... I have a little hand held hopper fed gun but it eats through media and makes a mess.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by zeeflyboy View Post
    Looking great!

I would quite like a good blasting cabinet.... I have a little hand held hopper fed gun but it eats through media and makes a mess.
    Thanks.....i am keeping an eye to see if it's messing dust outside the cabinet, but looks good so far.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Update....received the ball screw support bearings. Excellent products and service from the supplier in Taiwan

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Almost done with the little power supply board, hopefully it works as required....it,

1) Will be fed from the 24V/DC power supply
    2) Will supply 12V for the inputs and 5V for the bob
    3) Will do the pwm to 0-10V conversion
    4) Will be housed in a din rail box for ease of mounting

CNC router build-pcb4-jpg

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CNC router build-pcb4-jpg  

Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 142122232425 LastLast