bought a used 48" X 48" X 5" used router table - Page 9

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789

Thread: bought a used 48" X 48" X 5" used router table

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: bought a used 48" X 48" X 5" used router table

made a dumb plaque today, just to try carving something other than the word "test". somehow i botched the tolerances somewhere, as on the face run, it left thin strips of plywood beside the cutting bit. could be from the fact i still need to fix the microstepping from being too course. i thought i had the feed rates too high for the spindle RPM, but i didn't break a bit. had me hiding behind a chair a few times though. just got to get used to the machine and what it can do. mainly i just wanted a chance to "play", before i cleaned up the wiring and settings, and the rest of the TODO list. at some point, i want to try milling some very basic aluminum. just to make some fixtures to mount the new HOME switches.

i seem to be running into an issue with lubing the slides and screw for the X-axis. it is fully enclosed, with small slots for the Z-axis mounts to protrude. the Y-axis, i can crawl under and get real good. the Z-axis, initially was easy, but not so much, now, for some reason. i was thinking of either drilling access holes that can be plugged after lubing, or drilling and tapping for some grease fittings. neither sound great, as i don't want to compromise the strength. i may just tape a tube to my small cheap endoscope camera, and pump grease in, with the camera to direct it. in any case, it needs to be done frequent enough that i need to figure something out.

something i need to do, too, is get a infrared tachometer, and clock the spindle, so i can calibrate the VFD a little better. the rpm reported to LinuxCNC is not the same as reported on the VFD display.

with the extra pins available on my second LPT port, i intend to configure control for the dust-collection to turn on (aka, shop vac, at the moment). i also need inputs for E-stop loop.

i originally planned on having a divider wall between the machine and the "control room", to protect the computer, and myself (should a bit go flying). but i think instead that i will just mount some lexan panels on the side of the router table. if the vac system works as i want it to, the piles of dust flying everywhere should be minimal (in a perfect world).

there is a bunch of stuff on my TODO list, but i am slowly working through it. though i think i add to it as fast as i check off items.

~Travis

Techno Isel Gantry III (?) base machine. EMC/LinuxCNC controller.
    about 48 X 48 X 5 inch working, Perske 3PH 5HP spindle

Downloads
    Uploads

quick question, what would be a good, simple, and cheap Z tool length probe plate material?

at first i was thinking of buying a plate of stainless steel for it's hardness and not likely to tarnish. then i thought maybe aluminum would forgive just enough to not harm the tool. eventualy, i will probably make something better, but for now, just something to get me by.
    my other thought on aluminum is that i could mill it with my router if it needs re-surfacing. i am assuming i can mill aluminum without coolant...

~Travis

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by travis_farmer View Post
    quick question, what would be a good, simple, and cheap Z tool length probe plate material?

at first i was thinking of buying a plate of stainless steel for it's hardness and not likely to tarnish. then i thought maybe aluminum would forgive just enough to not harm the tool. eventualy, i will probably make something better, but for now, just something to get me by.
    my other thought on aluminum is that i could mill it with my router if it needs re-surfacing. i am assuming i can mill aluminum without coolant...

~Travis
    Aluminum or copper.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Ntl View Post
    Aluminum or copper.
    ok, thanks for that. i hadn't thought much about copper. i was thinking a piece of copper-clad (one side) PCB, but as it is so thin, i had not considered it for long (risk of warping?) but solid copper, or aluminum, good to know.

~Travis

Downloads
    Uploads

today i was able to simplify a task. with my LinuxCNC controlled machine, and my XHC-HB04 wireless pendant, i found it to be possible to set workpiece offset zero, with a single button on the pendant (=0). to select what axis to zero, i just turn the jogging axis selector knob. it was already built in, but i browsed the HAL driver in LinuxCNC, and found the signal names, and attached them to some G code ("G10 L20 P1 X0" for the X axis, obviously). so it is a simple matter to jog where i want the zero, press (=0), and jog the next axis to set. i love it!

at some point i hope to either build or make a digitizing probe, to help aid me in setting up the workpiece origins. they are surprisingly expensive. i still have to make a tool offset touch plate, but it is not like i just happen to have any aluminum scrap kicking around.

i keep putting off the task of cleaning up the wiring, but i really hope to get to it some this weekend. at least if i can clean up the power routing, then i can focus on the signal wiring. when i build the controls into my CNC desk, under glass, i will likely get some copper flashing to shield around the inside of the control tray as much as possible. not sure what i will do for the glass top... maybe just a plywood trap-door, shielded from underneath. i like the idea of looking through glass at my soon to be tidy control tray, but i don't want to get any stray EMI. especially from the VFD, that i will either mount on the wall behind the desk, or under the desk, somewhere.

it is coming together, little bit at a time.

~Travis

Downloads
    Uploads

a thought just occurred to me... in my CNC camper, the machine has only 1 side of access. or two if i open the big doors (not ideal in the rain). clearly, this wasn't thought of when i put it into the camper. what this means is, all work fixture and maintenance activities are very limited access on such a large table. this is a big setback.
    so that means whatever i do in getting it fully operational, has to be moveable, when i find a better spot for it. i hate when this happens. it is a problem i have an answer for, but not the funding to facilitate. i will figure something out, but it still leaves me pissed off.

~Travis

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789