New DIY build - design suggestions/ideas welcome - Page 24

Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1421222324

Thread: New DIY build - design suggestions/ideas welcome

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: New DIY build - design suggestions/ideas welcome

That looks really nice. I may have to give anodizing a try.

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by zeeflyboy View Post
    Wife told me it looks good that way and I should just do the whole thing red/black. What do you guys think?
    Your wife has a good taste of colours. I think it would look even better if everything was red and black, but... silver looks cleaner for a longer time, scratches are easily cleaned/polished (if you care about the looks), the work are is automatically lighter due to the more reflective surface so you will not need as much artificial light as you would with too much black. Also, now that you have come so far it would take a huge effort to anodize all the parts because you have to dismantle everything and start over with the screwing. Maybe that's done fast, but if you spent time in aligning then that time is wasted as well. So, while I agree with your wife regarding the looks, I would not do it. Maybe on the next machine...

Another thing... Your machine is already the most beautiful one I have seen so far. Now we want to see some videos showing the use of it. If it was my machine then the first thing I'd make on it is a gold medal for myself. Because that design definitely deserves one.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ah no it hasn’t been painstakingly assembled - just temporarily put together. Intention was always to anodise the whole thing, the only debate is about colour scheme! I had intended a gunmetal grey but it seems that colour eludes me on the anodising.

I think I’ve decided just to go black/red, but I have a busy week or so coming up which means I won’t be able to get much done and will have time to mull it over.

Yeah I’m excited to see how the whole machine works, but there’s a way to go yet unfortunately.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thought I would do one more experiment based on a suggestion from dharmic, I took 0.5L of my already-mixed-to-instructions dye and diluted it with a further 1.5L of DI water... so waaaay more dilute than specified. The part being anodised was my tensioner roller, I anodised as before with 6amps/sqft to a theoretical thickness of 1mil and then used the diluted dye at 60 degrees celsius followed by a nickel acetate seal.

Any guesses as to the colour?

BLAAAAAACK.

So as far as I can tell, with my particular setup/dye/pixie dust, grey is pretty much impossible for me to achieve... could try a different dye but I think I'm just going to go with Black/Red.

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thought I would do one more experiment based on a suggestion from dharmic, I took 0.5L of my already-mixed-to-instructions dye and diluted it with a further 1.5L of DI water... so waaaay more dilute than specified. The part being anodised was my tensioner roller, I anodised as before with 6amps/sqft to a theoretical thickness of 1mil and then used the diluted dye at 60 degrees celsius followed by a nickel acetate seal.

Any guesses as to the colour?

BLAAAAAACK.

So as far as I can tell, with my particular setup/dye/pixie dust, grey is pretty much impossible for me to achieve... could try a different dye but I think I'm just going to go with Black/Red.

That came out really nice considering you diluted the dye, your dye is Black it is not Grey it would not come out like this if it was Grey dye, there is too big a difference between the too colors for this to be Grey dye you are doing everything how it should be, so who ever you brought the dye from messed up check the PH of your dye

Attached Files Attached Files
    Mactec54

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I know its not what you want, but that looks SUPER awesome for an at home ano job. How hard was it to learn?

Luthier/Woodworker/Machinist in NS, Canada.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

They claim it's not possible

Who knows... anyway, wasted enough time with it so onwards with the black! I need to order a pH meter before I can check the pH of the dyes, but have been meaning to get one.

jahn - I haven't re-invented the wheel or anything. Just did quite a bit of research and general reading up - there is a wealth of information out there, and lots of it helpful to the DIY'er. I went with the caswell LCD method using constant current as it seemed to the the most reliable in terms of repeatable results at home. It's certainly not rocket science, but doing things somewhat properly will help get consistent and repeatable results.

When I get time (hah, time - what's that again??!) I might do a post on the anodising setup and my process in case it helps people out... on the proviso that I’m a rank amateur and certainly no expert! I'll also upload my eductor and mount designs to thingiverse in case anyone wants to use a similar agitation setup.

Last edited by zeeflyboy; Yesterday at 07:09 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Roll with the black, it looks great.

Heh, the question now is whether you cheap out and run 1/4 strength because it looks like you can get away with it!!!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Really nice build. One of the best I've seen.

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

They claim it's not possible

Who knows... anyway, wasted enough time with it so onwards with the black! I need to order a pH meter before I can check the pH of the dyes, but have been meaning to get one.

jahn - I haven't re-invented the wheel or anything. Just did quite a bit of research and general reading up - there is a wealth of information out there, and lots of it helpful to the DIY'er. I went with the caswell LCD method using constant current as it seemed to the the most reliable in terms of repeatable results at home. It's certainly not rocket science, but doing things somewhat properly will help get consistent and repeatable results.

When I get time (hah, time - what's that again??!) I might do a post on the anodising setup and my process in case it helps people out... on the proviso that I’m a rank amateur and certainly no expert! I'll also upload my eductor and mount designs to thingiverse in case anyone wants to use a similar agitation setup.
    I use air for agitation, but think your eductors are better and may change to using something similar to your units, I think you have done better than most with your new Anodizing start up, research is key to most things which you have done

Mactec54

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by dharmic View Post
    Roll with the black, it looks great.

Heh, the question now is whether you cheap out and run 1/4 strength because it looks like you can get away with it!!!
    The durability of the color won't be as good if he does not stick to the correct ratios / PH levels needed, you obvious have not done this or you would know

Mactec54

Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1421222324