sbr20 linear rails mounted vertical vs. sideways?

Thread: sbr20 linear rails mounted vertical vs. sideways?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default sbr20 linear rails mounted vertical vs. sideways?

I have been looking at different DIY router builds and in some the Y axis rails are larger (makes sense as gantry is heavier) and mounted on TOP of the base.. but others mount them on the side of the base. I see many mount the X axis rails sideways and I was just curious if there was a difference in the wear/life of the bearings or the carry weight of vertical vs. sideways? I can't seem to find any information for difference in loading or maybe there isn't a difference? Just wanted to ask before I proceed with my design.

dmac257

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: sbr20 linear rails mounted vertical vs. sideways?

When in doubt refer to the manufactures catalogs or engineering manuals. Depending upon the bearing block, rail type and so forth there can be differences in what the bearings can handle.

If in this case your Y axis is the main table and this axis supports the gantry there are a number of considerations but often the parameter with the biggest impact is the distance between bearings on the rail. It is the differences between a pyramid and rectangular prism sitting on end.