Inductive Proximity Sensor Limit Switches

Thread: Inductive Proximity Sensor Limit Switches

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Inductive Proximity Sensor Limit Switches

Has anyone used the Inductive Proximity Sensors sold on Ebay. They call for 6-36 volts. Was wondering how to power them as
    BOB is powered at 5 volts.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Inductive Proximity Sensor Limit Switches

Do realize that what is advertised there is just a receptacle which does nothing but provide a mounting based for a switch module.

As for industrial prox switches, the inductive type anyways, they are design to run on 24 VDC I/O systems common in the industrial world. There are two basic interface types NPN and PNP, you need to select the type based on the input module. You can also find contact closure outputs and even FET outputs, but these are rare for inductive prox switches.

To use these on a 5VDC system you will need to a voltage level adaptation.

Downloads
    Uploads

Wizard, you are looking at a link added by a robot (VigLink), not by clembrant. These links are added so that CNCZone can make money form the advertisers linked by the VigLink robot. If you hover over the link it says "Link added by VigLink".

Clembrant - I use the SN04-N inductive prox switches on my milling machine conversion. These are the ones I used in this link

I have mine wired to 12V DC and they are essentially separate from the BOB. The SN04's activate relays to trip the BOB input. I did it that way to isolate the 12V from the BOB which is 5V.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by 109jb View Post
    Wizard, you are looking at a link added by a robot (VigLink), not by clembrant. These links are added so that CNCZone can make money form the advertisers linked by the VigLink robot. If you hover over the link it says "Link added by VigLink".
    Well that sucks! Interesting because my browser is indicating different data than " VigLink" but obviously not a poster added link. You can't tell the difference my bad?
    Clembrant - I use the SN04-N inductive prox switches on my milling machine conversion. These are the ones I used in this link

I have mine wired to 12V DC and they are essentially separate from the BOB. The SN04's activate relays to trip the BOB input. I did it that way to isolate the 12V from the BOB which is 5V.
    Interesting your post caused me to do a search for 5VDC prox switches. Newark actually has six different ones in their catalog. Bit of a surprise really. I really think most would be better off isolating their controllers power supply though.

Downloads
    Uploads

Yeah. I think you are right that isolating the controller would be the best thing. I did some on my install but not enough to totally isolate it. If not totally isolated then it probably makes no difference really.

On the prox switches, One thing I forgot to mention is that I went with 12V also to give a little voltage boost to help with errant activation. I would have gone with 24V, but I had a 12V regulator lying around and used it to drop my main stepper power supply voltage to the 12V.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks guys.109jb, what did you use for your isolation board.

Downloads
    Uploads

I didn't really use an isolation board. I just went to the local Radio Shack (when you could) and bought 3 small relays. I glued the relays to a strip of aluminum flat stock and then soldered wires directly to the relays. The relays are where the 12v for the prox switches is isolated from the BOB. The coil side of the relays is 12v and the contact side just switches the bob and uses 5V from the BOB for the swiitching.

Downloads
    Uploads

That's funny. I think I saw your video. Good information. I found a board on ebay I'm going to try. Thanks for your help 109jb.

Downloads
    Uploads

If you are looking for Isolation solutions there are an endless variety of devices sold in the industrial market. Many of these snap on DIN rails. Depending upon who you buy them from they can be a bit pricey if you need a lot of them. For one off machine build they can be a time saver.

There are literally dozens of manufactures, I'm not sure it would pay to list them all.