New Machine Build Fixed Gantry Steel, wadeodesign - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Fixed Gantry Steel, wadeodesign

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Fixed Gantry Steel, wadeodesign

Soooooooo whatever happened with some of the issues with this machine?????
    Did you figure them out ? And if you were to build another one would you do it this way?????
    Did you ever change the steppers to ClearPath servos????
    If so, what were the results??????

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Fixed Gantry Steel, wadeodesign

Quote Originally Posted by hacker7 View Post
    Soooooooo whatever happened with some of the issues with this machine?????
    Did you figure them out ? And if you were to build another one would you do it this way?????
    Did you ever change the steppers to ClearPath servos????
    If so, what were the results??????
    Sorry for the late reply hacker7 - I simply missed the email notification I had a new post. Anyhow.... the router has been running great - It's changed personality from a project to a useful tool. The last thing I did was to replace the steppers with the Clearpath servos which gave me crazy improved performance on the x / y axis - servos are king! I'm set at 250 IPM rapids and have cut up to 180 IPM (HSM) without seeing any issues. I finally solved my intermittent electrical issues by simply ripping out the limit switches (poor mans solution) - I'll have to rewire the entire thing at some point but it's low priority for me as it runs fine with soft limits in mach. Heres a link to the Clearpaths in action

If I was to build another one.... would be very similar. Can't beat the steel construction. I do have a list of potential upgrades in the back of my mind but I have a feeling I won't get to them until I start having problems of some sort (tool changer, upgrade z-axis stepper to servo, add auto zero routine). At the moment I'm actually finishing up a CNC Lathe conversion of my Grizzly G0602 -> http://www.cnczone.com/forums/bencht...6-cnc-cad.html .

Cheers
    Wadeo

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123