Need Help! Air blower for cutting

Thread: Air blower for cutting

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Air blower for cutting

I am looking for options to blow air onto the material and cutting bit of my machine. The air is needed to remove the cut material as well as keep the bit cool as the tend to heat up and break. At the moment I am using an air nozzle connected to my air compressor. This is working great, but I would like to look at options to remove the compressor and have a dedicated blower just for the machine. I have attached pictures of the nozzle that I am using well I was cutting some material. I would like to keep using the same nozzle but I need a new source for the air. I have also attached another picture of an air pond pump and was wondering if something like this would provide enough air to do the job. My current setup only requires 10psi of air and is blowing through a 1/16th size hole. Any suggestions would be great and if you can provide a link to where I could purchase and suggestions, that would be a big help.

Thanks

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Air blower for cutting-image2-jpg   Air blower for cutting-image1-png  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Air blower for cutting

If that's what you need, yes the little pump should work. This is very similar to a lasers air assist and they use pumps like that.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by cncmadness View Post
    The air is needed to remove the cut material as well as keep the bit cool as the tend to heat up and break.
    Have you tried increasing your feed? I know it sounds counter intuitive but I dull or melt bits if I feed too slow. I'll feed faster but I have to decrease the DOC. You should have some decent sized chips coming off to carry away the heat. If you are making dust, you are feeding too slow. I've also increased my bit life by at least a factor of ten. I machine carbon fiber, G-10/FR4, and aluminum all with no coolant or air assist. I'm also using a single flute bit which is a big help. Blowers work great for clearing chips, but if you need them to cool the bit, you might be able to do better by adjusting your feeds and speeds.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have tried a lot of different feed speeds. I either break the bits by going to fast or break the bit by going to slow because they heat up. I can reduce the DOC, but this wears the bits down just as fast, just now I am only wearing down the tip of the bit. This setup has shown the best results for tool life and quality of cut. I moved on from using endmills, such as single, and double and am now using diamond cut and chip breaker bits that seem to be better suited to the task. The endmill were more expensive and lost there edge faster.

Downloads
    Uploads

I understand. The diamond cut and chip breakers do heat up more because their geometry doesn't allow as efficient heat dissipation. I can see why air would be good on those. I use them on composite materials on occasion because they don't leave a burr on cut edges like the endmills.

Downloads
    Uploads

that pump would do just over 2 cfm, but realize there is no pressure to speak of. As far as chip removal and cooling it would not be a good option.

Downloads
    Uploads

Question Re: Air blower for cutting

Is it safe to use pressurized air machining carbon fiber composites?

I would be terrified about generating airborne carbon fiber dust.

Jeff...

Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

Downloads
    Uploads

+1

I'd use water on CF. Try not the breathe the dust.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by jalessi View Post
    I would be terrified about generating airborne carbon fiber dust.

Jeff...
    Quote Originally Posted by Azalin View Post
    +1

I'd use water on CF. Try not the breathe the dust.
    That's a good point! A diamond cut endmill makes much more dust than a single or two flute.

Downloads
    Uploads

Wouldn't it be better to remove the dust with a vacuum or dust collector instead?
    Then it's not suspended in the air in the shop. It would also assist in the cooling of the tool, though not like direct air might.

Lee

Downloads
    Uploads

The point is that CF particles are very tiny and once you breath it sticks to the lung. Stays there for years.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Suat
    Proud father, C# developer, Model heli pilot, newbie free time machinist for hobby

Downloads
    Uploads

Azalin and Jalessi have a good point. You really don't want to blow that stuff all over your shop, or breathe tiny particles of carbon fiber. Use flood cooling to capture the particles rather than disperse them. It will also lubricate and cool the cut.

Andrew Werby
    https://computersculpture.com/

Downloads
    Uploads

I am afraid that without high volume flooding, you will be doing more harm than good to the tool. You would be recutting carbon paste. I think a good dust collector is the way to go. With a low micron filter. Then again, I haven't cut CF. The phenolic and fiberglass that I have cut would be better served by dust collection.

Lee

Downloads
    Uploads

I wasn't talking about dripping the coolant on - yes, you'd need a pretty good stream to dislodge the particles and remove them from the cut. You'll want to have a filter on the sump to catch them as well. But I don't think the CF particles are as challenging to remove as much denser metal particles would be, yet flood cooling is used commonly in VMCs to blast chips of steel out of the way. And I think it would be more effective than letting the particles disperse into the air and then trying to collect them.

Andrew Werby
    https://computersculpture.com/