new to cnc

Thread: new to cnc

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default new to cnc

Hello from Alberta Canada,

I have been reading as many of the threads as I could over the past month or so and I really enjoy the rapport and respect I see for fellow travellers. I also appreciate the fact that no question is considered too basic and everyone's input is treated as important. I have little time for redicule but that is not to say I don't enjoy a friendly poke once in a while. I will try to be brief (I am told that will be an effort for me in itself) and give a few details. I am not a machinist, live on 7acres of land, have a tractor, wood working tools and some metal working tools. I taught myself to weld, handbuilt a log home here 15yrs ago and heat it with a homebuilt wood burning stove I also run a diesel engine on used frenchfry oil that I process myself.....enough of that. My basic philosophy is, if you never want to fail, never try anything new......I have failed alot After I retired from my regular career, I decided to keep a promise to my wife who does marvelous watercolor paintings and poetry calligraphy, check out her site at www.awhisperofhope.com. After serious research I became interested in CNC and how it could be adapted to engrave her calligraphy into different materials such as wood, plastics and aluminum etc. There appears to be a great demand for her work as family heirlooms and even memorials and I think once you read her work you will agree. I have also investigated relief carving images (family members) into the poems just below the titles and from everything your members have written this should not be a problem with cnc.
    I've built a lot of things, some of which even worked, and the challenge of cnc has really put everything I've learned to the test. I don't have lots of cash to throw around so I either "make do" , innovate, or do without. I settled upon the Data-cut cnc package offered by Chris Lubke, and I must say that this man is a true professional and any question I have to ask is answered promptly and in excellent detail. I recommend him highly! I will post photos of my efforts so far if someone can tell me how to do that. I do have a digital camera so that part is no problem, I just need to know how to place them onto this thread. So I've finally cracked the ice and got involved and I hope my questions will also reap the same benefits to others.
    P.S. speaking of ice (of which we have alot up here) I took up ice fishing some time ago but became quickly discouraged since by the time I had a hole big enough to put the boat in....it was time to go home! LOL.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Glad to have you on board wdenis! I am reletively new to this site, as well as the hobby, and although I have built a few machines already (run by other people) I have not run one yet.
    Post photos by clicking the browse button next to "attatchments" at the bottom of the "start new thread" or "post reply" screen. Be forwarned however that files need to be less than 80000 bytes (I am having a hard time with this). Right click on your selected file and scroll down to "properties" to find the file size.
    As for being frugal, or more accurately cheap, I can join you in that ice fishing boat. I have a hard time spending money, mostly because I don't have any! A couple of years ago I built a '29 Ford model A roadster from one body panel! It took about three years, and cost about $1600. Thats what some people spend on A WHEEL for their cars! There are a lot of plans offered that can get you going (if you haven't started already), and get it done inexpensively. If you need any elp, just yell! From what I can discern, everybody here is very willing to share, as well as critique. Happy cutting!

Stop talking about it and do it already!!!!!

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I went to the site posted but it is not there. I googled it and come up with different sites and I dont know which one it is..

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Link not working

Just remove the . (dot) after the .com

http://www.awhisperofhope.com

That should work.

Wade

Downloads
    Uploads

Wdenis,
    Welcome to the CNCZONE, With the right software it will do the carving that you want to do very nicely.
    Enjoyed your paiintings, you are talented, and sounds like you are ready to take the plunge.
    There are many options in deciding which machine to build and whether to buy plans or just start designing. The forum members are more than willing to answer your questions, and will enjoy seeing your machines construction progress.
    Good luck
    Hager

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the replies. I do have a set of plans as I mentioned and I am about 80% finished the basic construction. The original plans called for the application of round linear rail but I opted for THK style carriages and profile rail which didn't cost a great deal more but were wider. This didn't pose a problem on the x and y axis but when I hit the z axis, I didn't like the amount of space I had to sacrifice in the original design so I'm in the process of a rethink to try to gain an inch or two on the width. Has anyone used the flash-cut program which I bought since it was recommended by data-cut. What I know about G-code programming would fit on the head of a pin and while he's been great, Chris Lubke (of Data-cut) I'm sure has better things to do than hold cnc 101 classes. I have the version 2 and I would be interested to meet someone who has used it.

wdenis

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

A friend of mine uses flash cut to carve pool cues. He loves it. Says it is very user friendly and works well.

Stop talking about it and do it already!!!!!

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have enjoyed your website and beautiful paintings. Your wife is talented and no wonder that you want to engrave her work.Good for you.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Nice work on your web site. Plenty of talent in your family.

Have you decided on a software for engraving? I am also looking to do engraving with a 3 axis cnc router and am looking for a simple cheap engraving software that I can do multiple lines with different fonts available. Anyone got any good ideas? Ron

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Foamcutter,

As I mentioned I bought a set of plans from Chris Lubke at Data-cut cnc and I am very pleased with these as well as his great customer service. He recommended the use of hardware and programs from flashcut cnc and since I am so new to this concept, I didn't want to take the chance and buy mis-matched equipment and software. I can't say its was cheap but I think in the long run I will save since everything will be properly matched, eliminating future problems. The only thing I got "cheap" was a 16" lenght of ball screw and nut which I practically had to redesign for my Z axis. Having said this, I suppose "cheap" is not always the best way to go if you know what I mean. I also have to confess that since I wanted to spend more time engraving than rebuilding another machine, I opted to do the job once. As a result my learning curve at this stage is vertical. I have built alot of relatively simple machinery, hydraulics for my tractor etc. but this is the project with the gtreatest need for precision that I've been involved with. I take it slowly and "try" to plan my every step. As I always told my kids, If it was easy, anyone could do it.
    Wayne (from the great White North)