Best DIY kit to convert for Large Format Foam 3D? How to ad 4th axis? 8k-10k?

Thread: Best DIY kit to convert for Large Format Foam 3D? How to ad 4th axis? 8k-10k?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Best DIY kit to convert for Large Format Foam 3D? How to ad 4th axis? 8k-10k?

Hello!

I am super new to the game. I am here because I want to make 3D foam carvings on a pretty grand scale. I am no machinist or engineer (I took one semester of mechatronics) I am a 3D artist/sculptor. That being said, I would like to build a machine that has similar functionality as this one:
    FROG3D | FROGMILL?

I understand that that is a 80k dollar device, so my expectations are adjusted accordingly. It seems to me that I could assemble the "long Z" GreenBull from buildyourcnc.com and add a 4th axis. However, this machine does not have support for the 4th axis (I called them). Which made me wonder, how does one add a 4th axis to an existing machine in a way that the software will recognize? Can I devise my own mounting bracket for an "A" position 4th axis (I would go C position, but it seems even more difficult) and then tell the software where it is? Do I have to know how to code a custom profile for a set up like this?

Further, when adding an "A" position (lathe) 4th axis do I need some fancy plate interface/harmonic drive situation so that I can attach my foam securely?

Are there Kits/software better suited for what I am trying to do?

Any help would be great. Thank you.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Best DIY kit to convert for Large Format Foam 3D? How to ad 4th axis? 8k-10k?

First,forget about buildyourcnc. For nearly the same price, you can get a machine from cncrouterparts that's 10x better.
    For $8-$10K, you can build a machine that's close to the Frogmill. IF you can do some metal fabrication, and spend a LOT of time doing research. But the research should be mandatory, if you don't want to throw money away.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Best DIY kit to convert for Large Format Foam 3D? How to ad 4th axis? 8k-10k?

Adding the 4th axis should be as simple as bolting it on, but it depends on the control software. But you should be able to configure it in the software without too much trouble.
    What you need to mount your foam would depend on the specific 4th axis that your using.

I would recommend spending at least 4-6 months reading and learning as much as you can before spending a dime,and ask questions whenever you need to.
    It'll save you a lot of time and money in the long run.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Adding a 4th axis is easy. Same with software setup. Building a good machine is the hard part. Your 4th axis will most likely utilize a lathe chuck to clamp round stock driven by a stepper with some sort of reduction, either by pulleys or gearing. Attaching your foam block will be a simple as gluing a dowel through the center of the foam block, chucking it up in the lathe chuck on one end and possibly using a freewheeling chuck on the other end, or some other sturdy tailstock on bearings.

If you didn't want to glue the dowel all the way through, you could glue up flat plates with a post to each end of the block but that might limit you at the ends of the carving.

Focus on the machine design and worry about how to wire it, set up software, and run it later. There are many kits that could be modified to do what you need. The main thing is that the bed must be able to be open frame without compromising the structural integrity.

Downloads
    Uploads

The kits that people here seem to be having the best luck with come from CNC Router Parts PRO CNC Machine Kits | CNCRouterParts. Ahren, the owner, participates in this forum and is quite helpful, offering support when needed. For your purposes, you'll want more Z axis than a normal router; this compromises rigidity, but that's not as essential with foam as with harder materials. Ask him if he can supply the parts to give you a foot or more of Z axis travel. Positioning the A axis so that the center is on a level with the bed will maximize the effective envelope for your parts. If you get the controller based on the Gecko G-540, that comes with a spare channel for the A axis; you should be able to plug the 4th axis in without problems. You'll also need to provide a tailstock that aligns with the rotary axis and slides back and forth to accommodate different lengths of material; a regular lathe tailstock can be used for this. If you use Mach3, it's pretty simple to configure the 4th axis; it doesn't really require coding per se. You will need a CAM software package that supports the 4th axis; I'd suggest you look at DeskProto for that.

Holding onto big pieces of foam is a little tricky, since it compresses so easily that it can't be held directly like most materials. I've had best luck by gluing blocks of wood to both ends with Gorilla glue. One end can be held in a 4-jaw chuck; the other can be center-drilled and countersunk to accept the dead-center. A harmonic drive is nice, since it eliminates backlash, but it's not really necessary for anything but the most high-precision applications.

Andrew Werby
    ComputerSculpture.com ? Home Page for Discount Hardware & Software

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Downloads
    Uploads

if you make a little research, you can get a robotarm about 40K with programs..
    im not sure if turntable included, but the robotarm itself cost a 20 from a refurbisher company..
    you need a decent room for, where arm works behind cage or closed door..

irbcam what is the """middle"" between other camprograms and the robot..

its way more effective than any known 3-4 axis router..

http://www.irbcam.com/

on ebay, if you looking for robotarms, youll find refurbisher.. and trough on them you can find company that makes all installation you...

if you really limited on budget then look around what Chinese offer..

SALE CNC Router Milling, CNC Laser, CNC plasma machine, China, Servo Motor Drive, UK, USA, Italy, Spain, Thailand
    SALE CNC Router Milling, CNC Laser, CNC plasma machine, China, Servo Motor Drive, UK, USA, Italy, Spain, Thailand

with these you don't have all hassle coming with a build..

achieving 16-24 tool movement on Z axis.. little more than you can perform in a home shop..

for least price and largest foam sculptures, your only way robotarm.. all 5 axis solution due to large machine frame will cost more..

ana average robotarm has 100 kg payload and 2.5 meter strechout, means with rotary table a 12-15 foot tall sculpture you can make in one setup