T-slot Channels for a New CNC Router Spoilboard

Thread: T-slot Channels for a New CNC Router Spoilboard

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default T-slot Channels for a New CNC Router Spoilboard

I have a new 750x1000mm CNC Router that is ready for fitting a Spoilboard. My initial plans are to use multiple single T-slot channels with alternating strips of wood that are mounted to the sub-plywood base.

The Spoilboard (T-slot channels and the wood strips) would be fastened to the sub-plywood (¾"-1" 13 ply Birch plywood). The sub-plywood would be cut to the frame size, not to the working area. The spoilboard would be cut to the working area size. My thinking is ... I would rather replace the thinner wood strips than the thick sub-board. Is this a good idea or not?

How many wood strips and T-slot channels should I use? I will be mainly cutting materials ranging from 2" thick hard wood to ?" T6061 Aluminum plate to PCB to smaller guitar parts, etc. So my clamping needs will be varied. For example, how would I hold a blank piece of rough Cow bone in order to machine a guitar nut? I would consider using a low profile vise to hold the smaller materials.

Which type or style of T-slot channels should I use, i.e., T-slot dimensions? I am planning to mount the T-slot channels directly to the sub-plywood as as well as the wood strips.

How does this play? Suggestions?

Later,

Billy

Default Re: T-slot Channels for a New CNC Router Spoilboard

let me say I have not built a CNC at this time however it is definitely on my Tado list...
    It seems that most of the Guys that has expressed the design and build of their units spaced the rails 6" apart seems like a very good universal width...You will make work any size of wood you would be using on these dimensions...trying to imagine all projects and their dimensions at this stage if impossible so work with a good general all around number and stay with it...work with a dimension where you can get all your drops for replacement out of 1 board evenly...and if you don't use all that board you will have replacements for later...
    other item is whatever you can source at your local store would be helpful but keep in mind the hardware needed to hold down the straps...use your best discression and what is readily available to you if you had to make a quick stop at the big box stores and pick up some hardware...
    My 2 cents
    Paul