Another sPID, G540, and Mach wiring question for the wiring challenged..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another sPID, G540, and Mach wiring question for the wiring challenged..

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Another sPID, G540, and Mach wiring question for the wiring challenged..

A couple more questions for those of you with experience wiring the G540, MACH and the sPID..

sPID questions

1 - If wiring the TACH signal from the sPID using a v1.5, G540 and MACH I believe I read that it requires a 47K resistor in parallel, is this still the case? ( CNCzone.com-The Largest Machinist Community on the net! Over 300,000 members and growing.)

2 - If using the TACH signal does that mean that both the sPID and MACH will display the RPM?

3 - What pin on the Parallel port and G540 should they be wired to? I've not found anything on the 177 page sPID thread..

4 - Are people using the TACH from sPID and viewing it in MACH or just reading the output on the sPID screen?

G540 questions

1 - Is it advisable to power off the power supply when when hitting an E-STOP? I was considering the need to shutdown the power source in case of an emergency, thoughts?

2 - Pin 10 is labeled as "Disable input (E-STOP)" is this actually a ground leg that is opened and shorted when an E-STOP occurs?

Thanks as usual for any help and guidance you can give... I have a feeling there may be some more coming.

Adam,

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have a router using the G540, Mach3 and the SuperPID. Considering there are only 4 inputs, I did not see a need to feed the rpm into Mach. I calibrated the rpm of Mach to the display on the SPID using the pulley setting. My experience is that the actual rpm will be within 20 to 40 rpm of that set in Mach. I set the rpm in my CAM program (CAMBAM, by the way).

Here is a short vid that may help.

Rick

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by adam_m View Post
    A couple more questions for those of you with experience wiring the G540, MACH and the sPID..

G540 questions

1 - Is it advisable to power off the power supply when when hitting an E-STOP? I was considering the need to shutdown the power source in case of an emergency, thoughts?

2 - Pin 10 is labeled as "Disable input (E-STOP)" is this actually a ground leg that is opened and shorted when an E-STOP occurs?

Thanks as usual for any help and guidance you can give... I have a feeling there may be some more coming.

Adam,
    Question 1. If I leave the router unattended for a a bit, I will press the e-stop button. I haven't quite build up my trust of it yet. When I am ready to run something, I will disengage the e-stop and clear the e-stop error in Mach.

Question 2. The e-stop is engaged when pin 10 is not grounded (ie open). So to run Mach using the G540, pin 10 needs to be grounded or you will get a e-stop error in Mach and the red fault light will be lit on the G540.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Rick for the reply's, I've seen your video before and will be helpful when I get to the MACH settings.

Any ideas on the sPID questions??

Adam,

Merry Christmas!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

You might want to look at the latest discussion on the Spid thread. It seems relevant to your questions.
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/router...ml#post1404406

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

OK, I thought I was ready to go... but... no. :-(

I think I've got the MACH settings correct with a bunch of help, I'll post them for others and for review.

So, essentially this is what happened, taking baby steps I plugged in the G540 to the parallel port with the Estop in place and enabled, powered on the G540 and was greeted by a solid red light as expected. I disabled the Estop and the G540 light turned green, I assume that means the Estop is wired correctly.

Next I powered it back off and plugged in the X axis, powered it up, G540 is still solid green, I go to the "Diagnostics" tab in MACH and the "Emergency" light is flashing....

I power off the G540 and remove the X axis from the G540, power it back up and go to the "Diagnostics" tab again in MACH, "Emergency" light is still flashing...errr, stuck already??? man that was quick...

So, what is the flashing "Emergency" light telling me? besides I'm an idiot..

Adam,

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Another sPID, G540, and Mach wiring question for the wiring challenged..-snag-0006-png   Another sPID, G540, and Mach wiring question for the wiring challenged..-snag-0005-png   Another sPID, G540, and Mach wiring question for the wiring challenged..-snag-0004-jpg   Another sPID, G540, and Mach wiring question for the wiring challenged..-snag-0007-png  

Another sPID, G540, and Mach wiring question for the wiring challenged..-snag-0008-png   Another sPID, G540, and Mach wiring question for the wiring challenged..-snag-0009-png  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

When you first power up and go into Mach it starts off with that message. Did you press the reset button in Mach?
    Should clear and be ready to go at that point.

Steve

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yes, it won't come out of "Reset".

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Another sPID, G540, and Mach wiring question for the wiring challenged..-snag-0010-png  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Looks like your estop may not be correct. Did not see the ports and pins settings for that.

Steve

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Here's the config screen also...

"ChargePump on in Estop" is checked.

EDIT - added the EStop..

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Another sPID, G540, and Mach wiring question for the wiring challenged..-snag-0003-jpg   Another sPID, G540, and Mach wiring question for the wiring challenged..-snag-0004-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Not sure how you estop is setup but may try un-checking the active low.
    That is how mine is setup.
    Hard to tell in the diagnostics if the estop/emergency is on or off.

Steve

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

That looks like it got it..

Strange, the config file (.xml) is from Gecko and made those settings.

From G540 manual:

"The only required connections for the G540 to run are a power supply and a normally closed emergency stop. If you
    get a fault at any time that will not clear, you can safely disconnect all wires but these and get a green LED with the
    charge pump turned off."

My EStop is NC which I thought was the correct setting.. now the setting in MACH is "Active High" meaning exactly what?

Is the EStop working the opposite of how it should be, should it be Normal Open?

Adam,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast