Build Thread My DIY desktop CNC, Upgrades!

Thread: My DIY desktop CNC, Upgrades!

Downloads
    Uploads

Default My DIY desktop CNC, Upgrades!

Hello all, thought i would post my little desktop cnc and the couple of new upgrades I'm in the process of.

Firstly, this machine is 500x500x500mm with fully supported sbr12 rails on x,y and z, tr10x2d leadscrew on the x with diy hdpe anti backlash nut, 5/16" all thread on the y and z and diy hdpe backlash nuts (i have a new lengths of the tr10x2d for the y and z, just need to get the ends turned down a bit)
    nema 23 motors on all axis salvaged from commercial photocopiers (unsure of torque etc, oem companies don't give away much info about their parts..)
    My DIY desktop CNC, Upgrades!-imag1460-jpg
    I've been running them with one of those dreaded chinese TB6560 ebay boards and 24v switching psu, it was a cheap way to get started in cnc plus im a bit of a cheap ass
    The board worked ok after i performed all the mods that people have done, but it would loose steps randomly which gets very annoying very quickly.
    Heres some pics of the current setup I built originally, ill be pretty well gutting it to install the new drivers and powersupply.
    My DIY desktop CNC, Upgrades!-imag1807-jpgMy DIY desktop CNC, Upgrades!-imag1795-jpg
    Still being on a bit of a budget the Gecko was not an option (yes i know they are regarded as the best) so i started looking at the different diy and low cost driver kits getting around, just not the el cheapo ebay all in one boards.
    All were reasonably priced but all had slight differences, I needed a bipolar driver as my current setup is all for bipolar (like cabling, plugs etc..) and I didn't want to have to replace all my wiring and connectors.
    I ended up going with the THB6064AH driver kits offered by MassMind.org these here to be exact THB6064 MassMind Stepper Motor Driver Kit
    I ordered the 3 axis deal and also the 4 axis universal Breakout board with the 5v regulator kit and relay output kit.
    Arrived in under 2 weeks which is quick compared to other stuff I've ordered internationally.
    My DIY desktop CNC, Upgrades!-imag1754-jpg
    And so began the soldering, the pcb's themselves are excellent, professionally made. Pre-tinned solder pads made soldering easy.
    Started with the low stuff first SMD resistors then the rest of the resistors.
    My DIY desktop CNC, Upgrades!-imag1756-jpg
    I basically followed their instructions and being an electronics tech it was a walk in the park :P
    My DIY desktop CNC, Upgrades!-imag1757-jpg
    Had all 3 driver boards soldered up in about hour n half.
    My DIY desktop CNC, Upgrades!-imag1761-jpg
    mounted them on 3 old xbox cpu heatsinks (i recycle a lot ) with some aluminium angle for mounting and strips joining them all together then a nice smear of heatsink compound on the chip.
    My DIY desktop CNC, Upgrades!-imag1779-jpgMy DIY desktop CNC, Upgrades!-imag1780-jpg
    My DIY desktop CNC, Upgrades!-imag1783-jpgMy DIY desktop CNC, Upgrades!-imag1786-jpg
    Then started on the breakout board
    I went with the 5v reg and relay output addon and have also added a harness for the 4 switch inputs to use as limits and e-stop.
    The relay output will drive my Solid state relay for the router, i am also going to add another output to drive the other channel of my solid state relay to switch on my vacuum system.
    My DIY desktop CNC, Upgrades!-imag1798-jpg
    Tonight i hooked up the Breakout board to the drivers and did the vref adjustments, i set it to 2.5A for now which worked out to be 1.5v.
    Then connected one my spare steppers to one of the drivers, plugged in the parallel cable and opened up mach3. Had to change all the pin settings in mach but easy enough. Just used a spare printer power supply which put out 36V at 3A, enough to test one driver at a time.
    Powered it all up and jogged the motor, all good! Went thru and tested all 3 drivers with excellent results, so far very happy with these drivers.
    My DIY desktop CNC, Upgrades!-imag1811-jpg
    Also very little noise and hiss from the motors unlike the tb6560.
    Next test will be hooking them up to the machine and bigger powersupply.
    I have built a 45V >10A linear supply which has other supply windings i can use for auxillary stuff.
    My DIY desktop CNC, Upgrades!-imag1814-jpg

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by baskarz; 09-11-2013 at 10:14 AM. Reason: pics

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

This looks FANTASTIC. Any chance of seeing video of it running?

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks man
    Yes, there will be videos! Once i have completed the driver upgrade and have it all mounted in the case I'll do some test videos etc..

Downloads
    Uploads

Progress!
    Completed the control box tonight, drivers all mounted along with breakout board and power supply.
    Still some cable tidying to go but i didn't want to tie all the cable up yet until i have fully tested.
    My DIY desktop CNC, Upgrades!-imag1843-jpgMy DIY desktop CNC, Upgrades!-imag1838-jpg
    Installed status leds below each axis socket on the front panel. Green = 5v present red = error. they are wired from the led positions on the driver board, i installed pin headers so i could easily unplug the leds if need be.
    My DIY desktop CNC, Upgrades!-imag1845-jpg

I powered up the 5v first just to make sure everything worked and all leds lit up as they should.
    Then i checked and set the vref then went and plugged in the motors and powered up the motor supply.
    All good so far, nothing getting warm.
    Will test fully tomorrow and hopefully get a video

oh and heres a couple of pics of my new toy for the machine. Bought a 4th axis off ebay for about $260, arrived quickly and quality isnt too bad, came with 3A nema23 motor and the same 4 pin plug i used on the control box. Just need to extend the cable a few feet ( already picked up some more cable today)
    My DIY desktop CNC, Upgrades!-imag1849-jpgMy DIY desktop CNC, Upgrades!-imag1850-jpg
    I made the live center out of some leftover 10mm ally plate and spare makita 13mm drill chuck. It is the last thing the machine made with the old tb6560, took a while as i couldn't get the speeds i wanted without missing steps.
    My DIY desktop CNC, Upgrades!-imag1848-jpgMy DIY desktop CNC, Upgrades!-imag1847-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

Hello all!
    been playing around and cutting / carving all sorts.
    These drivers are fantastic, not a single missed step (besides human error) they are very quiet very little his from the motors.
    Been cutting at around 1200mm/min (~50inch/min) havent pushed it much further yet, still a few little things to sort out.
    Problem i have been getting which was present with the other driver, is a strange groaning noise at 2 certain spots on the x lead screw, i lubed the screw with a few different types of lubricant but it still persists. Once I get some videos up you can hear the noise.

I have a few videos but i need to convert them, but i do have some pictures of some of the things i have made so far.
    The new 4th axis is certainly getting a workout, working very well so far.
    First thing i tried was a little android dude out of some 25mm diameter pine dowel using a 1/8" 2 flute ball endmill. came out ok i thought
    Next was a one eyed minion, less setpover with this one so not as smooth, 1/8 ball endmill again.
    Last up was a hand which despite the 1/8 cutter, turned out not bad
    My DIY desktop CNC, Upgrades!-imag1855-jpgMy DIY desktop CNC, Upgrades!-imag1859-jpg
    My DIY desktop CNC, Upgrades!-imag1864-jpgMy DIY desktop CNC, Upgrades!-imag1879-jpgMy DIY desktop CNC, Upgrades!-imag1878-jpg

Today i grabbed a piece of scrap 50mm diameter pvc conduit from work as i thought i might give a lithophane a go after seeing another aussie member on here who did the same thing and his turned out awesomely.
    Once again using the 1/8" ball end mill, i have some smaller endmills ordered i just wanted to do a test cut. :P
    heres the result, took 48min to finish and no finishing was needed at all! All i did was wipe the dust off it with a rag, this stuff carves nicely
    My DIY desktop CNC, Upgrades!-imag1893-jpgMy DIY desktop CNC, Upgrades!-imag1889-jpgMy DIY desktop CNC, Upgrades!-imag1891-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

Videos!!

Ok finally got around to some videos,
    This one is one of the first tests i did after motor config etc...
    Just an air cut of a simple engrave just to make sure everything is going the right direction.
    You can hear the strange noise on the x axis lead screw, happens at the same spot everytime. Usually don't notice it when the router is on, drowns out that noise.
    I have tried different types of lubricants on the screw and also dry.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated

Few more vids to come

Downloads
    Uploads

Here's one of my first lithophane on 50mm dia pvc pipe.
    Total time was 48min
    Cut using 1/8" ball nose end mill, 0.1mm stepover running at 1500mm/min

Downloads
    Uploads

Bit of progress with upgrades.
    Currently in the process of replacing the 16mm mdf y axis plate with a nice bit of 10mm aluminum. Picked up a decent sized offcut of 10mm plate from the local boat builders for $20, bargain considering i was quoted around $100 for a plate 400mm x 400mm!
    I have enough for the 400x400 plate and leftover for the rotary axis mounting plates and still spare for any other parts i need
    Only mission was cutting the plate, i used my jigsaw for most of it until the blade holder in the jigsaw shattered so i had to finish off the other cuts with me 4" angle grinder and thin cutting disc. The grinder actually cut the plate much nicer and quicker than the jigsaw, wish i had of found that out earlier!

My DIY desktop CNC, Upgrades!-imag1946_1-jpgMy DIY desktop CNC, Upgrades!-imag1947-jpg
    My DIY desktop CNC, Upgrades!-imag1948-jpgMy DIY desktop CNC, Upgrades!-imag1949-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

Howdy all.
    Been playing around again.
    Firstly i finished replacing the mdf y plate with the 10mm ally, worked out nicely. Now i just have to align the y axis rails so its level... its only out by around 0.2mm from left to right so not too bad. Doesn't affect what i do with it anyway, i am purely a hobbyist so extreme accuracy is not high on my priority list (it's a "one day when i get around to it" kinda thing :P )
    I drilled a heap of holes in the plate at 40mm spacings and tapped them all with a M5 tap for various fixings and hold downs and what not with the half dozen M10 threaded holes for the 4th axis to bolt on to when needed.
    My DIY desktop CNC, Upgrades!-imag1965-jpgMy DIY desktop CNC, Upgrades!-imag1966-jpg

Think i might have found the odd groaning noise from the X axis screw, might be a bit of a rough spot on the thread itself (they were only cheap tr10x2d off ebay) so i'm thinking of polishing the threads with some very fine wet/dry and metal polish afterwards.

Oh yeah something i forgot to mention is my useable area which is 370mm in X, 285mm in Y and 75mm in Z. I still need to alter positioning of the Z bearings a little as i cant get the full plunge depth i want, i just need to shift the mountings of the blocks up a little more on the router plate. As it stands at the moment i can barely reach the spoil board with small 1/8" endmills, i have to be carefull not to crash the Z axis lead nut into its lower bearing on deeper plunges (yep done it a few times now, but i made the z pretty strong and all that happens is the stepper stalls as the lead nut crashes into the bearing hehe )

Anyhoo, been lurking around the forums and have been doing a bit of reading on vacuum hold downs. I like the idea very much and started about collecting bits n pieces to try it out.
    I scrounged a couple of old fridge compressors from the local recycler and an old fire extinguisher as a vacuum reservoir. Picked up a cheap automotive vacuum gauge from the auto store and i already had a bunch of old brass air compressor fittings and set about trialling it all out.
    I cleaned up the bigger of the 2 fridge compressors and soldered on fittings to the inlet and outlet pipes for easy hose connections. Then cleaned up the extinguisher (even painted it up to make it look pretty haha ) and made a bung for the top out of 25mm thick HDPE and threaded it on by heating the neck a little and screwing the bung in.
    I also drilled and tapped a 1/8 NPT hole in the top for the vac gauge to connect to and sealed up all the fittings with thread tape.
    My DIY desktop CNC, Upgrades!-imag1963-jpgMy DIY desktop CNC, Upgrades!-imag1964-jpgMy DIY desktop CNC, Upgrades!-imag1977-jpg
    Hooked up a hose from the compressor and fired up the compressor. Vacuum came up ( or down? ) fairly quickly to about 20 in/hg in about 20 seconds or so, after about a minute had around 27 in/hg. Good vacuum but not a lot of volume so any leaks in the hold down table would show up very quickly.
    I saw another member here ( sorry forget who it was now, Aussie bloke i know that much ) who had used his air compressor as a vacuum supply so set about making an adaptor to go from the inlet port on the compressors head (where the intake filter threads into) to a normal compressor hose fitting.
    fired it up and had 20 in/hg pretty quickly but that was as high ( or low? ) as it would go, but there was plenty of volume.
    Drew up a trial hold down plate and machined it on some 16mm MDF and then lacquered the whole plate, first try was just one big zone which didn't work too bad.
    I was able to hold about 5 in/hg using the fridge compressor and holding done a piece of mdf, not much but i wasn't able to slide the mdf around at all and could lift it ant the hold down plate off the bench briefly.
    Tried the converted air compressor and was able to hold around 10-15 in/hg. seems to work even though i am relying on the seal between the varnished mdf and raw mdf.
    Tried to source some round 1/4" foam rubber type stuff but could only get 10mm dia stuff, bit too big to squeeze into the channels on my board... will look at other avenues.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated
    Currently waiting for the lacquer to dry on ver 2 of my hold down plate, this time with 4 separate zones.
    I'll try get a video of that test.
    Here's the pics of the 2 plates i made up.
    My DIY desktop CNC, Upgrades!-imag1971-jpgMy DIY desktop CNC, Upgrades!-imag1969-jpg

Input and comments more than welcome.

Downloads
    Uploads

Don't know if anyone noticed the googly eyes stuck on the router mount.
    Wifey stuck em there one day and I think will stay there now, makes it look like a some sort of bug hehe Mosquito maybe?
    Kids think its hilarious when its cutting as the eyes bobble around, even I have to laugh while its going :P
    Here a short vid while cutting the 4 zone hold down plate.
    Think my router speed was down a bit low...