Want to build CNC Router for routing 3/4" MDF and solid wood

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Want to build CNC Router for routing 3/4" MDF and solid wood

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Want to build CNC Router for routing 3/4" MDF and solid wood

I'd love to build a CNC router for cutting out recesses and holes in 3/4" MDF and 3/4" solid hardwoods. I can't afford to spend thousands on a commercial machine for a hobby. I've looked at several of the popular designs but the affordable ones seems to be far too delicate for such work. Most are for balsa wood and circuit boards etc... Is there a DIY design that might meet my needs?

Thanks.

Darren

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

How much you want to spend?

Eric

I wish it wouldn't crash.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Well, I was hoping to accomplish something with $500 or so for everything. I have a computer and router. I'm a woodworker hobbiest with a full woodshop so a design that utilizes MDF or similar substrate would be great.

I realize this is a tall order for little $$ but I thought I'd give it a shot. I'd be using the router for smaller projects about 12"w X 24"L.

Am I outta luck?

Darren

Downloads
    Uploads

No.

The small size helps because you can build it from MDF and it will still be plenty rigid to do what you want. My first machine was exactly that size, made from MDF and I used it to cut MDF, hardwood, and aluminum.

I have some plans for my first router in DXF format. I will dig them up tonight and post here.

Eric

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

That would be wonderful. I don't have any software yet, can you recommend some? I'm a newbie when it comes to CNC but a quick study. I've used some very basic CAD systems like Graphicad and Casmate for plotters.

Darren

Downloads
    Uploads

you can download Turbocad for free here: http://nct.digitalriver.com/fulfill/0002.16

Just a disclaimer. These are rough plans and in no way complete. It's just an idea to get you started. I used THK linear rail/bearings but they tend to be expensive, you can maybe adapt cheaper round rod and linear ball bearings or??

Eric

Attached Files Attached Files

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks, I'll take a look at the plans and see what I have ahead of me. I'm completely comfortable building it, it's the drive system electronics and software I'm a little sketchy on.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'm getting a file format error and it won't open the dxf file you provided... any ideas?

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Darren I am going to ask a question and I hope it dosen't offend you. Do you have a cad package on your computer that will import dxf or at least some drawing package that will do it? If not that is the reason for the error.

turmite

No greater love can a man have than this, that he give his life for a friend.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have turbocad installed... do I need something else?

Don't worry, you ain't insulting me. I'm new and know it. I have worked with some older CAD software before but I'm starting from zilch again now.

Darren

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

I don't think so. I just didn't want you to sit there beating you head against the keyboard any longer than you had to. I have never used Turbocad so I can't help.

turmite

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Darren,

I opened his file in Rhino and resaved it as autocad12. Maybe this will work. Uh, dxf, that is...

Attached Files Attached Files

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Originally posted by lsfoils
    Hi Darren,

I opened his file in Rhino and resaved it as autocad12. Maybe this will work. Uh, dxf, that is...

That was the ticket! Thanks for the help!

Darren

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Any time Darren,

Doug

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ok, I've already admitted I'm new I've looked this file over a bit and from what I can tell it's a nice design. I am confident I can build something similar but need some more basic info. Could I get a kick in the right direction?

I guess I need to learn everything else. I know, you've all probably heard that a thousand times. I'm a quick study. Any good resources? I'd like to find a drive system and the electronics etc... that all work together to make it simple. I don't want to make this any harder than it is. Oh, and please forgive my lack of correct terminology. I'm still learning the cool new words

Darren
    I be a Woodworker... not even close to a machinist

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Duhhhhh Isfoils I never thought of that! I also didn't know you were a Rhino user! You're from somewhere up in the northwest aren't you.

How long did it take you to get proficent with Rhino? I am self teaching and I want to let you know I don't have a very good student! Can you take a rendered image and turn it solid in Rhino. I know it is probably in the tuts but I have been so busy trying to make a living I can't spend as much time as I really need to on the program.

turmite

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Darren,

Check out ebay. There are lots of CNC Controllers being offered there. If you have had experience with electronics then you might try your hand at making one. I didn't. I purchased a 3 axis controller that had the power supplies on the board with the basic hook up for the printer cable and drivers mounted. The guy offered 3 stepper motors with purchase of the board @ 30.00 each and I got those as well. Worked out. The system worked great as the guy knew what he was doing. I was into it at 350.00 with shipping when it was all said and done. There are cheaper ways to do this and you should check out other threads in the Zone. I also purchase Mach1. Its the software that lets your computer talk to your machine. 125, I think.

Turmite,

I am self taught with Rhino as well. Man, what a kick butt program! I have created solids using it. But, I am sure I am doing it the hard way. Be glad to share the misery if you have q's.
    Yep, I'm just south of the boarder and very near the water. (even get to sail once in a while)

Doug

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

IsFoils,

I'm pretty good with electronics, used to work in the industry a while ago as an electronic assembler so I have no problem as long as there are plans and schematics. I'll take a look around the forum and see if I can find something that looks intersting.

Thanks again.

Darren

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Doug if you will pm or email me you email address I will send you the 3dm file to look at. There is a fellow in Bellingham right now that is going to do it into Solidworks for the moldmaker that is making the mold. I want a good solid from Rhino to test 4 axis cams programs with to see which I am going to buy. Another option would be to post it here if I knew how. Talk me thru that if you want to.
    Mike aka turmite

Downloads
    Uploads

http://www.xylotex.com

Probably the best performance for the price. And you can get everything you need from him. Also, great support. Email him any questions you might have, and he'll answer them promptly. For a little less money, you might want to look at http://www.hobbycnc.com
    but you'll have to assemble the boards yourself.

Gerry

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast