Want to build CNC Router for routing 3/4" MDF and solid wood - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Want to build CNC Router for routing 3/4" MDF and solid wood

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Wow, the Xylotex looks like a great deal, hardly seems worth it to assemble my own for the price difference. That and the support is a big plus.

Another nice looking package: http://www.hobbycnc.com/package.htm

Would the 125oz motors be sufficient for what I want? Sorry, still researching.

Ok, I've been doing a bit of reading, let me know if I'm thinking correctly. I'm trying to learn fast as usual.

The design of the actual machine is just whatever works and is solid, many different implementations. The items that need to be "standardized" if that is the correct term would be the drive mechanism and it's mechanics. So, the threaded rod, step motors, and the drive board correct?

Could someone recommend a good step motor for cutting 3/4" MDF, hard wood, and aluminum? I'm assuming a minimum torque would be required for a reasonable cutting speed. I suppose I should be considering that it would possibly take multiple passes to reduce the possibility of chatter etc...

Thanks for all the help so far guys.

Darren

Last edited by Darren_T; 10-10-2003 at 09:51 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

You probably won't find a better deal than the 3 116oz-in motors from Xylotex for $60. Although you might be able to get the same motors from Ebay for a little less. ( It's the same guy that Xylotex get's theirs from.) I got some 250oz-in motors on Ebay for about $65 each, but they don't turn up very often.

Gerry

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

On that machine I used 100 oz motors. With a xylotex board and thier 116 oz motors and 1/2-10 acme rod with a 24 volt power supply you will be able to cut your MDF and hardwood no problem. Rapid moves will be in the 20 to 40" per minute range as long as the machine is built straight.

For software you can run Turbocnc (inexpensive) or Mach 1 (a little more).

Don't worry about the software now. Just get the mechanical end done. Plenty of time to play with the saftware later...

Eric

P.S. I just looked at the plans again, sorry they are such a mess. I should clean them up.

I wish it wouldn't crash.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Originally posted by balsaman
    On that machine I used 100 oz motors. With a xylotex board and thier 116 oz motors and 1/2-10 acme rod with a 24 volt power supply you will be able to cut your MDF and hardwood no problem. Rapid moves will be in the 20 to 40" per minute range as long as the machine is built straight.

For software you can run Turbocnc (inexpensive) or Mach 1 (a little more).

Don't worry about the software now. Just get the mechanical end done. Plenty of time to play with the saftware later...

Eric

P.S. I just looked at the plans again, sorry they are such a mess. I should clean them up.
    Thanks for the additional info, you are making this much easier. It looks like I'll be able to get what I want within my budget for my first CNC Router. I can see myself doing what you did later on down the road and build a bigger better faster router using the first one

So, I order the xylotex board and motors, build the machine, then get the software and tie it all together right?

Is there anything else I need. I noticed in your most recent project you have a break-out board etc... will I need to have some other interface?

Thanks again for all the help from you and the others. I'm getting a real good feel for what I'll need.

Darren

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Mike aka Turmite,

I tried to email you but it didn't get through?
    Doug

Last edited by lsfoils; 10-12-2003 at 11:06 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

You don't need a break out board with the xylotex, but it is a little tricky to wire up limit switches to it. There are some .pdf's with wiring diagrams on the website. But I believe you'll have to wire up some new connectors to plug into the board. As both TurboCNC and Mach1/2 support at least 2 partallel ports, you can always buy a seperate breakout board for limit switches and relays and plug it into a seperate parallel port. Just buy a $20 parallel port card to add ports. It's a good idea to not use the motherboards built in port anyway, so just get a card with 2 new ports. Look here for a nice inexpensive breakout board with relay capabilities built in
    http://members.shaw.ca/axxus/db1v20.htm

Hope this helps.

Gerry

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

No need for a breakout board. Limits switches can be added any time, and are optional anyways.

Eric

I wish it wouldn't crash.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Darren,
    If you have some time on your hands you may want to take a look at this thread (sorry about posting a link to another board but this really is a very good thread). There is lots of information and you get to follow a few people actually building a machine. All good stuff...... Oh and you also get to meet Eric and understand his background in cnc....

rcforum cnc link

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default how to make a cnc machine

i would love to build my own cnc machine for various things i would like to make but what i'd like to know is if anyone has blueprints or plans or whatever i can get from them free over the net to make one myself but i would need very detailed plans cause i'm not very good with this stuff even though if i have the plans i'll be able to make one no problem oh i would need step by step pics too so if anyone can help i'd greatly appreciate it cause i make wrestling belts and i need one to engrave the design on the belt so please if anyone can help let me know either by my e-mail
    stu2050@hotmail.com or on here thanks

stu99

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12