A poor mans CNC machine - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A poor mans CNC machine

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: A poor mans CNC machine

I forgot to mention that I also burned a 10mm by 10mm square but I had set 20mm by 20mm in the software.
    I used the calibrate axis setting feature (enabled when the controller is connected) to correct this.
    Heres a random screen shot I found of this feature

For the few paper stock (none toxic venting) templates I was making, I placed the CNC laser into the bathroom have a fire extinguisher too.
    One can also make these templates with a paper printer.

Shovelled a thin layer of dirt at the end to make sure no plastic residue was left behind

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: A poor mans CNC machine

Many interesting challenges here. I also wanted a low cost, larger, yet fast CNC router. Now on my 3rd build iteration.

Some quick take aways:
    - At large sizes, deflection is an issue. Keep weight down with vertically oriented beams & gantry, eg. 2x4 instead of 4x4

- Box-oriented bearings on all sides are logical, but add a lot of weight, resulting in sway & vibration. Consider alternative bearing arrangements.

- Metal is costly. LVL lumber (manufactured wood) is cheaper yet has similar strength and deflection as steel. (maybe not now)

- Chain drives are very cheap, more precise than belts over larger distances. Chains take a lot of tweaking of gear sizing and placement, but was worth it for me. For my 4x8' travel, leadscrews, teeth rail or belts all too costly, only chain was cheap.

Simplicity is key to low cost. Elegant design takes a lot of iteration.

Really support your low cost design goals. Too many kit routers that are excessively pricey.

Last edited by ramakarl; 06-11-2021 at 02:28 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12