Router or dremel? - Page 5

View Poll Results: If you only have an option of fitting one machine to the gantry, what would it be?

Voters
417. You may not vote on this poll
  • Router

334 80.10%
  • Dremel

41 9.83%
  • Something else (please specify what)

42 10.07%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Thread: Router or dremel?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hello,

On my CNC router I have used almost every kind of (cheap) router, dremel, rotozip, tool you can name. Bottom line none are perfect.

Dremels after about 60-70 hours of cutting burn up brushes, I even had Dremel tool that bent the shaft inside the tool.

Cut-off tools I picked up 3 of them online for 10 bucks each. Same... burned up brushes at the same rate as dremel tools PLUS the one I had from Homier distributors was really LOUD>>>> Ear plugs required.

For my hobby machine (engraving into wood only) I'm sticking with a Dremel tool because of cost, noise, and convenience. Right now I'm trying out a "dremel tool" made by Black and Decker which has nice options for a CNC setup. It locks with a lever for easy tool changes and has variable speeds. Of course on my setup my max cutting speed is only 21 IPM which is kind of slow but it works for what I'm doing.

Downloads
    Uploads

I would go with an AC motor and inverter, 1KW adjustable spindle sounds good to me? £250

Join the UK’s machinists community, home to all things related to cnc in the uk.
    Visit: www.mycncuk.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Roberts View Post
    I would go with an AC motor and inverter, 1KW adjustable spindle sounds good to me? £250
    Hi,

Do you have web links?

John

Downloads
    Uploads

This Ebay seller has quite a few different models, but only 2 right now.

http://stores.ebay.com/linearmotionbearings

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by woodworm View Post
    I looked at routers but nothing decent available in Australia, they are all plunge routers, not good for cnc machines.
    So I will be using a 750 watt Makita die grinder. It has variable speed and 1/4" collet and it is readily available.
    Gary.
    This guy uses a DeWalt plunge router; I don't think anyone here would argue he built a killer machine with it! (Must've spent a fortune though!)

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_qdZB9iGhU"]YouTube - CNC Stepper Motor Demonstration[/nomedia]

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by widgitmaster View Post
    Dremel's are really nice, and not as noisy as my die grinder, but the ergonomic handle designs are impossible to clamp on to!

In my opinion!
    Eric
    hmm, i'd have to disagree on that, but also agree. The Dremel 4000 is a very good dremel for mount ability. I use it more my super tiny desktop 3d mini mill with 6" travels.

I agree that you shouldnt use a dremel for big machines , but if travel is less than or equal to 12", then they're good. (my opinion).

One shame is the max shaft of 1/8". I was hoping to lathe down some bigger bits to have the smaller shaft

---------\\\\\\\\\\__________
    3/8"----- \\\\\\\\\\_________| <----1/8"
    ----------\\\\\\\\\\

But i dont think turning solid carbine on a mini lathe will be that successfull.

sorry for off topic

A machine is only as accurate as the tools used to build it. "CNC = Computer Numeric Control - or on some days - CNC = Can Not Control" Imagineering

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Why does this thread keep popping up in "unread posts"? I get it every day, even though the last message is five days ago.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Dunn View Post
    Why does this thread keep popping up in "unread posts"? I get it every day, even though the last message is five days ago.
    I think that it has to do with the thread being a poll, if someone votes it will flag as an unread post even if they didn't leave a comment.

I'll get it finished sometime after I start it.....

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by robe_uk View Post
    I think that it has to do with the thread being a poll, if someone votes it will flag as an unread post even if they didn't leave a comment.
    Exactly. I wish there were an option to turn that off.

Bob

"Bad decisions make good stories."

Downloads
    Uploads

If properly designed, there is no such thing as "Only one option". Simply design your tool clamp to accommodate the desired tool to be interchangable. A Dremel is a very small tool, in comparison to a full-sized Router. Therefore, a tool clamp designed to fit a given Router, could easily be used to clamp around a smaller "Adaptor" mounting clamp designed to fit a Dremel, reciprocating engraver, or other small tool. Your imagination is your actual limit of your "Options"!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345