Router or dremel? - Page 3

View Poll Results: If you only have an option of fitting one machine to the gantry, what would it be?

Voters
417. You may not vote on this poll
  • Router

334 80.10%
  • Dremel

41 9.83%
  • Something else (please specify what)

42 10.07%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Router or dremel?

*Registered User*
    Downloads
    Uploads

I would not mind knowing what motor that guy is actually putting into that setup as that company (i've done a little electric air craft flying in my time) makes some super expencive ones and some lower priced motors. So he could have 100 or 200 bucks into that motor alone.

I contacted him a while ago but didn't have the nerve at the time (since I'd rather have my mini 12x12 from widg first) to ask him details on the motor.. He said the spindle is the same as his other models. So the increased cost is tied up in that brushelss it's controller and the powersupply he gives ya.. So figure his high end brushed is 175ish figure he has to have 400some tied into the brushless / controller and powersupply.. I have a hard time believing I could not make those 3 pieces of the makeup for less then 400..

b.

Downloads
    Uploads

i was wondering if any of you had thought about the rigid brand trimmer from home depot... lemme know what yall think, or is it just too cheap,
    and i should i go for something more like a PC or a Dewalt?
    RIDGID
    RIDGID 120V 6.0AMP LAMINATE TRIMMER
    Model R2400
    Price: $99.97/ea
    sorry i tried to post a link and it just came out all gobbeldy-gook....

Grizzly X3, CNC Fusion Ballscrew kit, 3 500oz-in bipolar steppers, 3 203v Gecko's, Linear power supply from Hubbard CNC, Mach 3, BOBcad Pro Art V22, Rhino.

Downloads
    Uploads

I've never looked at it, with regards to using it as a spindle.

As a rule, Ridgid is a very decent brand. I have quite a few of their stationary power tools, and have been thrilled with their quality.

There's nothing wrong with going for a name brand like PC...but credit where credit is due. Ridgid makes a lot of good products.

-- Chuck Knight

Downloads
    Uploads

i have a rigid shop vac, and im very happy with it, thats why im considering going with thier lam trimmer, variable speed, small, easy to mount, and cheaper than a full size unit, so i can get this thing up and running sooner, then once i make a few $$ with it, i can reinvest my profits into a larger spindle... i went and looked at them at HD last night, and was really surprised how small they are...

Grizzly X3, CNC Fusion Ballscrew kit, 3 500oz-in bipolar steppers, 3 203v Gecko's, Linear power supply from Hubbard CNC, Mach 3, BOBcad Pro Art V22, Rhino.

Downloads
    Uploads

The best deal I've found for a low cost trimmer, something to get started with, is this thing, made by "Buffalo Tools", I've seen it sold by Harbor Freight, and Grizzley for around $39.99, but I found this one on sale at Kragen Auto, a auto parts store local to Southern California, for $ 9.99.

Yes, these can be found on sale at auto part stores for $ 9.99 occasionally.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Router or dremel?-trimrouter01-jpg   Router or dremel?-trimrouter02-jpg  
    Halfnutz

Downloads
    Uploads

i'm currious why this tread keeps showing up like theres new posts, but when i look theres nothing new....

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Router and cuters

I have a cnc router 1mx2m it has a porter cable router 3H and 6 speeds it cuts al types of wood and MDF from 3mm to 18mm all at 4mm cuts, It will cut Aluminum if the cuter approaches from the side but when it plugs down in to it after two or three times it starts to smoke when I look at the end of the bit theirs is aly stuck to the bottom of it when I take it of it look like a washer I am using 3mm and 6mm doubel tooth cutters with fishtail from www.vhf.de . if I use end mills do they go as small as 3mm

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Router or dremel?-dscn0547-jpg   Router or dremel?-dscn0546-jpg   Router or dremel?-dscn0545-jpg   Router or dremel?-dscn0543-jpg  

Router or dremel?-3drouter-jpg  
    Last edited by dpot; 11-10-2006 at 03:54 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Ok I have read hundreds of threads now - I just cannot decide which way to go ,I want to make guitar necks and bodies - so which dremmel? or router or something else and what bits do I use ?

Drakkn Custom Shop http://www.drakkncustomshop.co.uk

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Drakkn View Post
    Ok I have read hundreds of threads now - I just cannot decide which way to go ,I want to make guitar necks and bodies - so which dremmel? or router or something else and what bits do I use ?
    Would have to be a router and I would recommend Trend tooling (you get what you pay for imo).

John

Downloads
    Uploads

well i ended up getting a great deal on a porter cable 892 or something like that... its 2 1/4 or 2 1/2 hp.. should do all i need to do for now.... Thanks to the mother-in-law....

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by project5k View Post
    i'm currious why this tread keeps showing up like theres new posts, but when i look theres nothing new....
    This thread is a 'poll'. When someone responds to the poll by clicking their vote, without posting a remark, it still shows up as a new post so you can see the updated poll results.

Downloads
    Uploads

Your gonna probably do best with a gantry style router, like a K2, Shopbot, Technik, etc...

It will need to have one axis at least 6 in. longer than your guitar necks.

You'l need a heavy duty spindle/router like the Porter Cable fixed based of at least 1-3/4 HP, better yet 2-1/2 to 3-1/2 HP or even a big Columbo or Perske 5HP if you can afford it.

All of these hold 1/4" and 1/2" tools or cutters, start with a straight 2 flute upcut, both 1/4" and 1/2" straight, a couple of the same in round tip style and a couple of V-cutters, a 1/2" and a 1". Also a collet reducer and some small 1/8" straight or round or chamfer tip bits are good to have.

A CNC rotary table ( used upright) and a tailstock for contouring necks. This will require that your hardware controller can support a 4th axis.

A controller S.W. program like Mach3 or TurboCNC or DeskCAM.

A good CAD program with 3D capability, like Rhino or Solidworks.

A CAM program to turn your drawings into toolpaths (G-code).

That should be everything, to get started at least.

Halfnutz

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

You need a 1/2" variable speed router (Dewalt DW625 is good). You will need (would be better) to use spiral fluted cutters (solid carbide for long life). Oldman history recommends trend cutters, so do I but... I am now using Wealden cutters, almost as good but half the price (I paid £108 fro a 2.5" cut 1/2" dia Trend STC cutter last month, I could have got the Wealden one for about £50).

If you want to cut plastic speed isnt too much of an issue, I cut Plexiglass on a 27000rpm 10hp wadkin router without any melting, just buy cutters for plexiglass, Trend do these. PTFE dry lube on the cutter helps too.

Downloads
    Uploads

Dear All,

Does anybody have any experiences of these German spindles?

The 1050 watt one looks like a serious bit of kit. If it has a 43 mm mounting collar, the photo suggests something quite beefy.

Here is the link

http://www.i-mes.de/englisch/downloa...00_ufm1050.pdf

Best wishes

Martin

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by martinw View Post
    Dear All,

Does anybody have any experiences of these German spindles?

The 1050 watt one looks like a serious bit of kit. If it has a 43 mm mounting collar, the photo suggests something quite beefy.

Here is the link

http://www.i-mes.de/englisch/downloa...00_ufm1050.pdf

Best wishes

Martin
    Hi Martin,

That looks to be a very nice unit and not dissimilar to a Kress. I have a Kress 900w spindle and am very impressed with its performance and quality. If this unit is any thing like that you will be more than happy.

Do you have a price?

Regards,

John

Downloads
    Uploads

Martin,

This is spooky!! I have been trying to find out the make of spindle I have in my small Isel machine, supplied by Unimatic, for quite some time now, I look at your post and there it is. Mine, the 600W one, was bought from Unimatic as a replacement for a Kress 900W, the same one mentioned by John (another strange coincidence!) The Kress gave me good service but the bearings seized up so I had to find a replacement. Fortunately, I did not have to pay for the replacement as Unimatic charged £345 for the unit you have the link for. I don't know what price you have found but in my opinion - go for it. It is a much better motor than the Kress, much, much quieter, beautiful bearings with virtually zero runout. I have been running this one now for nearly twice as long as the Kress and it is still performing as new.

Please let me know if you manage to find a price as I may well consider another of these for my new machine as a stop gap before getting a pucker spindle.

Mike

Edit: I notice they don't do a 600W any more, just a 500W and 1050W. Depending on the price, I would definitely go for the 1050.

Downloads
    Uploads

Just found the same spindle on the Unimatic site http://www.unimatic.co.uk/education/...motor-1050.asp

No prices though. It would still appear that both these sites are re-sellers and not the manufacturer of the motor - wish we could track down the manufacturer, I'm sure the price would be much keener.

Mike

Downloads
    Uploads

As my machine is an Isel, I looked on the Isel site and found them again http://www.iselautomation.de/product...lang=en&ID=c72

Still no prices though.

Mike

Downloads
    Uploads

I couldn't imagine trying to use a Dremel to work on guitar bodies and necks! Trying to do stock removal would kill the tool and produce lousy results. It can (barely) handle light duty inlay work, but even then I get better results with a laminate trimmer or router.

I have a PC890 in my DIY machine (25x33" work area). I am making guitar parts and my preference is for 1/2" shank bits whenever possible. For inlay work I'm primarily running 1/32" endmills. I do like the K2 extender that takes DA collets for these small bits.

This Dremel vs. router discussion comes up so often - but anyone who has ever tried to do even light duty routing with a Dremel would know that it's the wrong tool for the job. A laminate trimmer or cutout tool is a step up and a full sized router can do everything those do - with more torque, rigidity and accuracy.

Steve

Downloads
    Uploads

Dear Olmanandhistoy and Mike F,

Sorry for the delay in replying.

As well as isel in Germany, there is a company called i-mes. I have a friend who speaks fluent German, so I'll try and get a price in euros.

Best wishes

Martin

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast