Router or dremel? - Page 2

View Poll Results: If you only have an option of fitting one machine to the gantry, what would it be?

Voters
417. You may not vote on this poll
  • Router

334 80.10%
  • Dremel

41 9.83%
  • Something else (please specify what)

42 10.07%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Router or dremel?

Downloads
    Uploads

So, an easy setup is to use Sherline's Industrial Product's cartridge spindle for under $200.

Hi all

Im in the very early stages of desigining my gantry mill but I have just purchased the Proxxon BFW 40 ready to mount onto my mill when its finished, comes with 2.35,3.0,3.2,4.0,5.0,and 6.0 mm collets vairable speed 900 to 6000 rpm. The build quality is excellent and it runs extremly quiet.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Router or dremel?-dscn1010-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Did anyone test your runout on any router/die grinder/dremel? widgitmaster did you test on the die grinder? or audioandy1762 did you test the Proxxon?

Anyone cut aluminum with a router/die grinder(other?) with a small endmill 1/16+- ?

Hi Sendkeys

I hav'nt tested the Proxxon yet as I hav'nt finished my mill, I have seen the Proxxon being used by another CNCzone member and asked him how it performed but I am still waiting a reply.The attached picture is of a keyring which was engraved using the Proxxon.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Router or dremel?-manta_2_n-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you audioandy1762 that looks really good

Has anyone tryed to cut say 10%step .03 doc with a 1/16 endmill? (in aluminum)

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Sendkeys

We supply a Mini Grinder as a cheap starter with our desktop machine and it is surprising what these little things can be hammered through.
    Check our site for examples cut with this little wonder.
    http://www.cncdudez.com

For engraving and cutting thin plastics, wood and sheet aluminium they are up to the job.
    But when you get onto deeper cuts and block aluminium or need the speed then we recomnend upgrading to a more powerfull Router such as the Kress or DeWalt for the torque.

Regards

Sean.

Quote Originally Posted by sendkeys
    Did anyone test your runout on any router/die grinder/dremel? widgitmaster did you test on the die grinder? or audioandy1762 did you test the Proxxon?

Anyone cut aluminum with a router/die grinder(other?) with a small endmill 1/16+- ?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by audioandy1762
    Hi Sendkeys

I hav'nt tested the Proxxon yet as I hav'nt finished my mill, I have seen the Proxxon being used by another CNCzone member and asked him how it performed but I am still waiting a reply.The attached picture is of a keyring which was engraved using the Proxxon.
    I use this spindle also and it works great.
    I can cut alluminium 3mm deep with a 6mm carbide endmill with feedrate of
    25 mm/min. It probably can cut faster but the noise becomes to loud (I live in an appartmentbuilding so noise is a limiting factor).

The runout is good, < 0.003 mm , measured with a jeweled mitutoyo 0.001 mm dial indicator (for what it's worth).

I also like the big, red button to switch it on or off.

regards,

Jeroen

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Would the Proxxon cut plastic without it melting? I need to cut plastic that's anywhere between 1/16-1/8 thick.

I know I need a cutting tool that runs at a lower rpm with an increased feed rate, just not sure what would be good. Plus I'm looking for something that I can use small bits for fine detail. Though I believe all roughters can do that.

I see a lot of people are using a hitachi variable router. I wonder if the hitachi's 8,000 rpms is slow enough for cutting plastic

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Dremel v Router

I have used both Dremel and router for different types of job. For PCB's I use the Dremel for circuit routing and drilling. This works for me, cutting at 300 mm a minute at 8000 rpm, see picture of pcb 4" x2". For the heavier work I use a Kress spindle which for the price is for me the best, it's well engineered and and at 900w does all that I ask of it ( Ali, brass, plastic). I cut plastic at 300mm a minute ( my machine wont go any faster) at 9000 rpm, no sign of melting at 3mm depth of cut. Hope this helps

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Router or dremel?-pcb0001-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

I like my little dremel for hand held struff, it gets quite a bit of use, but I cant imagine a worse spindle for a CNC machine. No torque, high heat, irregular shape, lots of run-out, limited collet size, etc...

I dont do any PCB work though, I hear alot of people say they like them for that. If you need one option though, I would not use a Dremel. If you really have that tight of a budget, that a full size router cant be used, look at the laminate or trim routers. The Colt should work great.

Halfnutz

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Rotozip

I milled the side flat on my rotozip then used the thrubolts to hold it to two pieces of plate. The plates bolt on to my Z axis. The Rotozip has made 100's of models successfully. I channel the air to clear chips and offer some coolant action to the workpiece.

It's not a production spindle, but it works for hobby use quite well.

Pros:
    Cheap and available:
    Can get 1/8" and 1/4" collets

Cons:
    Too fast to turn a bigger cutter than 1/4" for most materials.
    Too fast and too low a torque to do much iron working.
    Can't hold cutters larger that 1/4".
    The chuck stinks. Gotta use collets.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Router or dremel?-cnc1-1-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi -
    Sorry to step in on the conversation but - A lot of the DIY plans you see show a dremel or something small like that in the picture. Does anyone have links showing what they recommend that is also very inexpensive?

Thanks

Please check out my CNC blog
    http://cncinside.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

from my personal experience
    i've paid around $130 for dremel tool, then bought circular saw attachment for another $30 - don't regret it - bare setup returned in first 1hr of use (i'm into lcd repair/remaking so it was one 19" monitor to do with it to return), circullar saw is the best if you need to cut fiberglass like PCB boards and similiar, even light aluminium alloys
    then i bought router attachment to see what it would be capable of when put into cnc machine - results was more than bad - i mean really - smoke shouldn't go out from spindle..
    have tryied high speed cutting bits, and ordinal one for wood - quality was poor, even with plain MDF board - maybe i'm too unexperienced to use it properly - don't know

anyway - if you need something pro i would go for kress (800W), bosh ( around 600W) hitacih (also 600W) or makita (520W) straight grinder/edge router
    they are 8000-27000RPM and accept 6 and 8mm bits
    you can easly buy 1/8" collet for carbon oxide bits typical for pcb making
    as for the price - i've seen kress avial from uk store on e-bay for 100 pounds, makita around here costs 100 euro, hitachi and bosh is in range of 70 to 150 euros
    if dremel woulnd't pay first day of use i would hang myself on the nearest tree - what can i say - you have to pay for your knowledge
    don't take my path, buy proper tool at first place
    standard router weights 4-5kg, straight grinder/edge router 1.5kg and has very compact design suitable for mounting it on cnc machine clamps
    this should be another point to consider
    cheers

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I just bought this 1 HP router from grizzly. It is tall but only abour 3" in diamter at its widest. It also has a speed control. Only downside is that the on/off is momemtary, so you need to Have a way to hold the switch down. You can see a pic of my prototype holding it at www.bigbearcnc.com Also, anyone interested in buying my prototype can contact me at bigbearcnc@yahoo.com

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Router or dremel?-grizzly-jpg   Router or dremel?-bbcnc-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Barry_ward View Post
    I milled the side flat on my rotozip then used the thrubolts to hold it to two pieces of plate. The plates bolt on to my Z axis. The Rotozip has made 100's of models successfully. I channel the air to clear chips and offer some coolant action to the workpiece.

It's not a production spindle, but it works for hobby use quite well.

Pros:
    Cheap and available:
    Can get 1/8" and 1/4" collets

Cons:
    Too fast to turn a bigger cutter than 1/4" for most materials.
    Too fast and too low a torque to do much iron working.
    Can't hold cutters larger that 1/4".
    The chuck stinks. Gotta use collets.

Would you be able to post a closeup of the rotozip mount? I'm working on my Z-Axis and trying to figure out a good way to clamp my rotozip too!

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Rotozip Mounting

I'll take a few shots as soon as time permits.

I just lined up the RZ in my machinist's (Kurt) vice, using the lines that are formed at the junction of the plastic housing halves. Then I used a fat milling cutter and cut down until the wire coming from the brush housing could just be seen.

I then turned the RZ flat side down.

Removed the 4 screws that hold the case together and used a transfer punch to mark the two mounting plates.

I drilled and tapped the plates (6-32 or maybe 8-32) and used long screws to hold the whole thing together.

I might have had to drill the RZ case holes to clear the new screws - I don't recall.

Barry

http://www.barryfish.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Is there any other brushless type spindles in the market ? I m using AEG 500 watts router . it is very compact and good looking and the mounting neck is cast aluminium. it is variable speed as well . I use it professionally night and day so that the brushes run out within 2 months .Can I use brushless motors designed for RC planes as a router ?

Rceebuilder

Downloads
    Uploads

Default NO !!!! (your router may fly away)

This is CNC Zone !

If you can make it fit, drive it electrically, keep it cool and mount it firmly and squarely, then why not?

Some of the brushless RC motors are excellent.

They are also a way to get a very high speed.

They only problem that you will have is the bearings probably will not last. Your router bearings are probably bigger, suitable for higher loads and have a lot of air flowing over them to keep them cool.

Good luck and let us know how it works out.

regards,
    Barry

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Luckily I found a guy on ebay doing the same thing . please check

http://cgi.ebay.com/TB-7070BL-High-S...ayphotohosting

Rceebuilder

Downloads
    Uploads

yea thats a spiffy setup, but WOW what a price!

Grizzly X3, CNC Fusion Ballscrew kit, 3 500oz-in bipolar steppers, 3 203v Gecko's, Linear power supply from Hubbard CNC, Mach 3, BOBcad Pro Art V22, Rhino.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast