It has arrived :) - Page 3

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: It has arrived :)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Originally posted by marvinstov
    Yep, my 3 axis board and 3 motors were were about $190.00. I'm using the Xylotex board, the Pac Sci steppers from Xylotex, and Turbocnc and it works great. If you have problems with setting it up, Jeff is really great about helping you get going. I'll be glad to help too if you get one. I'll let you know when I receive my other motors. The MaxNC worked fine but just didn't do what I wanted it to. Jogging was too slow and I was used to using Turbocnc.

Marv
    great, are those nema 23 motors or did you have to make a bracket to hold them?

Downloads
    Uploads

You might be able to get a little better price for those motors on Ebay. The seller is Deepgroove1 I believe. These are the same motors that Xylotex sells. But you'll probably have to make the wiring harnesses yourself.

Gerry

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

ullbergm,
    I have a Cheap CNC machine, CS-12-24P. I tried the motors, driver/power supply and software that came with it and could only get about 10-12 IPM. I sold the motors, driver/power supply and software. I tried my Xylotex setup, 3 axis board with a 30V power supply, 116 oz/in motors and could easily get 50 IPM with the 1/4x20 lead screw so I ordered another Xylotex board and ordered some 210 oz/in motors to try. Motors are not here yet.

Marv
    Where did you get the 210 oz motors and how much were they?

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

ullbergm,
    The motors are from Dan Mauch at Camtronics and yes they are size 23. They were a little pricey ($119.00 ea) but it's a hobby. Might could have gotten them cheaper if I shopped around but I didn't want to wait. Besides after selling the stuff that came with the Cheap CNC machine, I have money left over to buy cutting tools with.

Marv

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hey Ullbergm, about how thick is the HDPE plastic that your cheapcnc is made of? In your picture it looks like it would be about 3/4" thick. Their earlier model was made with MDF boards, then they changed to plastic.
    Thanks Pookie

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Pookie,
    Don't know about his but mine is 3/4"

Marv

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Originally posted by Pookie
    Hey Ullbergm, about how thick is the HDPE plastic that your cheapcnc is made of? In your picture it looks like it would be about 3/4" thick. Their earlier model was made with MDF boards, then they changed to plastic.
    Thanks Pookie
    Mine is the same as marvinstov, 3/4.

Sorry for the delay in responding to you, i've been out of the country.

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

ullbergm
    How's your machine going?? Got my new motors installed Saturday, cutting wood as we talk.

Marv

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

ullbergm
    How's your machine going?? Got my new motors installed Saturday, cutting wood as we talk.

Marv
    Good, i've been out of the country for the last 10 days so i havent done much with it.

What kind of results are you getting with the 210 oz motors?

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Well, I can get about 30 ipm rapids now. The Z axis wont go that fast, sounds like it is binding or something but slow it works ok. It will do about 15 ipm. If I am cutting at 25-30 ipm with some drastic Z moves (more than 1/4") it will lag behind, may be the way the code is written. The 116 oz/in motors on my other machine did just as well when I tried them as the 210 oz/in that I just put on. I really like it now. I don't do that much cutting at 30 ipm but it is nice to have that kind of speed for rapid positioning, etc.
    Marv

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Well, I can get about 30 ipm rapids now. The Z axis wont go that fast, sounds like it is binding or something but slow it works ok. It will do about 15 ipm. If I am cutting at 25-30 ipm with some drastic Z moves (more than 1/4") it will lag behind, may be the way the code is written. The 116 oz/in motors on my other machine did just as well when I tried them as the 210 oz/in that I just put on. I really like it now. I don't do that much cutting at 30 ipm but it is nice to have that kind of speed for rapid positioning, etc.
    Marv
    cool. I've got some 180 oz motors and im thinking about getting a xylotex controller, the owner said that he thought it'd be able to control my motors just fine.

Any suggestions where i can find 30v power supplies at a resonable price?

I tried my Xylotex setup, 3 axis board with a 30V power supply, 116 oz/in motors and could easily get 50 IPM with the 1/4x20 lead screw so I ordered another Xylotex board and ordered some 210 oz/in motors to try.
    so are you getting lower rapids with the 210 oz than with the 116 oz or was it a typo earlier?

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

ullbergm
    Forgot, have you noticed that you cannot gouge the table unless you are using extra long bits? I have to block things up sometimes just so I can make all the lower cuts without bottoming out on the Z axis.

Marv

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

ullbergm
    Forgot, have you noticed that you cannot gouge the table unless you are using extra long bits? I have to block things up sometimes just so I can make all the lower cuts without bottoming out on the Z axis.
    i've mostly done some engraving so far. But when i did some thru cuts i put the stock on a scrap piece of mdf, because i didnt want to cut the table. i haven't really looked at how close i've come to bottoming out on the z.. i'll take a look at it next time i cut something.

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yes, I get somewhat slower speeds than with the 1167 oz/in motors. Those motors that Jeff sells at Xylotex are hard to beat, price and power. As for the power supply, I made my own. Toroid transformer and some large caps with a bridge rectifier. Found some great enclosures that are for external hard drives (four will fit in the enclosure). They came with a 5v and 12v power supply inside, great for logic and some 12v lighting and fans. Transform, caps, and board all fit in nicely. I did a little overkill on the transformer, about 31 volts at 18 amps. Enclosure, transformer, caps, connectors and all was less than $100.

Marv

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yes, I get somewhat slower speeds than with the 1167 oz/in motors. Those motors that Jeff sells at Xylotex are hard to beat, price and power. As for the power supply, I made my own. Toroid transformer and some large caps with a bridge rectifier. Found some great enclosures that are for external hard drives (four will fit in the enclosure). They came with a 5v and 12v power supply inside, great for logic and some 12v lighting and fans. Transform, caps, and board all fit in nicely. I did a little overkill on the transformer, about 31 volts at 18 amps. Enclosure, transformer, caps, connectors and all was less than $100.
    sounds interesting, do you have any suggestions where to start as far as information about building a power supply. It's always been one of those things that i've stayed away from because of the power stuff, but i think im ready to give it a shot now. (i have more experiece with electronics now that i used too)

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Somewhere in all these post, there is a schematic for one. Real simple, just a transformer, cap and bridge rectifier. I'll look for it.

Marv

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

ullbergm
    I posted some pictures of my power supply in the photo section. Has the Xylotex board mounted inside too.

Marv

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

I used a 22 volt toroid transformer, 34,000uf 40V cap, and 50v bridge rectifier. Use this link and look on page 3.

http://www.geckodrive.com/ycom/docum...r_supplies.pdf

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

well it seems that the link is too long. Go to the Gecko Drive site, click "Support" and there are a lot of papers there with lots of info, one is power supplies.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast