Problem Understanding Backlash tests and fix options

Thread: Understanding Backlash tests and fix options

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Understanding Backlash tests and fix options

I recently made my machine and am a complete novice. It is a home built steel frame CNC router with a working area of 600 x 400. Using Win10, UGS and GRBL on Arduino.
    Up to now I have been ok with its accuracy as I have just been doing some v-carving for myself and not much else.
    However I recently fitted a laser to my CNC router and could visibly see what I think is backlash. As shown in the picture below especially on X Axis
    Understanding Backlash tests and fix options-img_20200610_180058-jpg
    So I did some tests. Not having a dial meter I rigged up my digital calipers to record my findings. (Not great but it will do for now)
    Understanding Backlash tests and fix options-img_20200701_150315-jpg
    Ignoring the fact that I've still got some work to do on my measurements these where the results I got -
    The process I used was to clamp the jig to table and the caliper to the end of the spindle set the calipers Zero and
    Then I moved the gantry 10mm and then returned to zero. These where my results.

Command Result on Calipers
    Y10 9.24mm
    Y0 0.11mm
    Reset Calipers to Zero
    Y10 9.13mm
    Y0 0.00mm
    X10 9.99mm
    X0 0.96mm
    X10 10.01mm
    X0 0.99mm
    X10 10.00mm
    X0 1.00mm
    Reset Calipers to Zero
    X10 9.10mm
    X0 0.11mm
    X10 9.10mm
    X20 19.23mm
    X0 0.17mm

So it looks like Y Axis has 0.11mm backlash and X has 0.99 - Is that right?

Second question - How can I reduce the backlash specifically on the X Axis?
    Here are 2 pictures of the belt setup I am using -
    Understanding Backlash tests and fix options-img_20200701_150951-jpg Understanding Backlash tests and fix options-img_20200701_151013-jpg
    (This is a very low budget machine )

I use UGS and GRBL - There are no backlash settings in these that I am aware of.

Is there a free Windows 10 compatible GCode sender that includes a backlash setting?

My idea is once I can get better accuracy I will do the time honored thing of getting my machine to cut the parts for its replacement!

Sorry for the lengthy post and thanks in advance for any helpful suggestions.