Opinions On These Pieces?

Thread: Opinions On These Pieces?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Opinions On These Pieces?

I'm hoping some of the more experienced builders like BalsaMan see this and express an opinion. I've studied EVERY post in the three year long thread over at R-C groups and am working my way through these in preperation for my first machine. I'm very impressed with everyones work so far. Having grown up in heavy steel mill teritory and been around Big, Big, Big machinery all my life, I'm not easily impressed. Nice work guys!

I came across two devises like in this picture for $100 USD each today about twenty miles from my home. They are X,Y,Z stages with rotation. They have about 20 inches travel in each direction. Step size is .625 mils per step. All electronics and motor drivers are built into the base. They are made by a company called MicroVision and from their website I gathered thes are meant to position a videoMicroscope for Quality inspections.

I couldn't get a data sheet or any more data. Anyone seen these before?

SoberPollock

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Opinions On These Pieces?-x-y-machine1-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Heres another Photo:

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Opinions On These Pieces?-x-y-machine2-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Nice. I am wondering what you plan to build? Those parts don't look too handy if you want a cnc router, unless you plan on just using parts of them. I suppose with two you could do some intersting things. How do you plan to interface with them? Another problem is .625 mm per step is rather large.

Let us know in what configuration you were thinking of using them?

Eric

I wish it wouldn't crash.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

They look like they would make a nice hot wire foam cutter.
    See Here:

Chris

Downloads
    Uploads

That's what I was thinking too.

Eric

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I havn't decided on a configuration yet. (as in Full Gantry style, Planer Style, Verticle Mill style, etc.) I am presently leaning in the direction of Cranky's "Brute" style as a FIRST machine. This way I could mill circuit boards on my desktop. I am an unemployed industrial electrician/drive technician by trade and am presently a full time electrical engineering student at Purdue.

I think the first machine is going to be small, cheap, and quick, because I can allready see myself wanting to build bigger fairly soon. (I think a set of cnc milled and ported four valve heads for my harley would be an interesting goal) Not that I tend to go overboard on things.

I think the extra axises these machines might offer would be interesting to toy with. For example a rotary table and an articulating spindle mount would allow for some intricate 3D designs. I don't think building these things would be nearly as dificult as designing the pieces to machine on it when it's done and generating the G-code for the extra machine axises. And, is the software to drive that complex of a machine with the extra axises available affordably? (Read "free")

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Oh I fogot to mention, am I wrong for Believing that .625 mils is actually .000625 inches (.625 of a thousanth of an inch)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

You know I think that could be useable if you mounted it differently. The axis at the bottom could be mounted horizontally on a wall (for instance), then giving you the other axis coming out over the workpiece, the small axis then becomes the z, and looks as though it may have a couple inches of travel on it, and that hole may be large enough to hold a dremel tool. Hope you know what I mean!

Downloads
    Uploads

If I were you then, I would indeed build a simple machine like the brute from scratch, and save the fancy parts for your second machine. Building a simple machine will give you valuable experience. You will get to build it mechanically, do the electronics, learn the software etc. etc. Once you master that, you will know how best to integrate the parts shown above into your next machine.

Eric