hobby CAD/CAM software

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hobby CAD/CAM software

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default hobby CAD/CAM software

hey, i need some help and advice. i need software to run my machine. i have already tried kcam, and i like it, it's simple. i got accustomed to sketchup, and use it fairly easy. now, sketchup free can't export dxf or stl without plugin. kcam can't import stl. when i try to convert one into another, that's where the problems kick in. every object is either incredibly large, or displays just outlines, edges (such as a line where two faces of a rectangle meet). free mill can't cut or mill circles, arcs or curves. i have downloaded gsimple, but it doesn't work like i want to.
    where i am going wrong? are there any combos that work good together, or do i need to experiment further? and please, if possible, take price into account, open source would be more than perfect.
    thanks in advance!

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Have you tried Ace Converter? I don't use it, but I think it's free.

John

Downloads
    Uploads

A lot of us have started out with CamBam's free trial, which imports STL and dxf files. It has 40 fully functional uses, after which it will only generate 500 lines of gcode. It will last a while at full function if you open it and don't close it until you are finished with it for the day. If you never turn off the computer, it will last much longer. If you buy a license it is just $149.

Download it and see if you like the way it works.

CarveOne

CarveOne
    http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Have you looked at

cnc4free.org homepage

It has a lot of free resources, some quite sophisticated.

BTW : As far as I know FreeMill is for relief files only.

Cheers!

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by lamesh99 View Post
    hey, i need some help and advice. i need software to run my machine. i have already tried kcam, and i like it, it's simple. i got accustomed to sketchup, and use it fairly easy. now, sketchup free can't export dxf or stl without plugin. kcam can't import stl. when i try to convert one into another, that's where the problems kick in. every object is either incredibly large, or displays just outlines, edges (such as a line where two faces of a rectangle meet). free mill can't cut or mill circles, arcs or curves. i have downloaded gsimple, but it doesn't work like i want to.
    where i am going wrong? are there any combos that work good together, or do i need to experiment further? and please, if possible, take price into account, open source would be more than perfect.
    thanks in advance!
    Some SketchUp guys have been using PhlatScript, which is a g-code plugin for ShetchUp. For ease of use, I think Cut2D is near the top. CamBam does have 3D tool strategies, but the learning curve may be steeper; there's a guy making wristwatches in the CamBam forum!

Downloads
    Uploads

You might want to try MeshCAM Art. It is a great program for newbies, particularly if you don't have a lot of CAD experience, because it can work with bitmap images. I think there is like a 30 day trial, to download and use the software FREE without any limits. You can do 3D carvings with this program- I use it all the time to create custom wood carvings from simple (or even complex) artwork I have created in Corel Draw. Just check out the carvings on my facebook page, click on the Photos link to see some of the carvings I have done. Welcome to Facebook - Log In, Sign Up or Learn More These were ALL done using MeshCAM Art! Note: the toolpaths generated by MeshCAM Art can be loaded into another program called CNC Wrapper, which will allow you to carve things on a 4th axis (if your machine is so equipped).

Downloads
    Uploads

+1 on Meshcam.

My machine came alive when I got it. Great for lithophanes. Also plays well with Sketchup STL exports.

Downloads
    Uploads

I have used Vectric 3-DCut for a few parts. It works well and, fully wizard based is very easy to learn.

Since I am upgrading to a 4th axis soon, I got a trial version of DeskProto. That has dual interface (wizard as well as normal parameter windows) and can do native 4-axis machining with continuous rotary axis or n-sided (actually can do limited 5-axis). I have not cut a part with it yet but created several tool paths and I am very impressed. With all the features it is obviously a bit more difficult to learn. Manual and tutorials are excellent. At Euro 250 for the full featured version to hobby customers I think very reasonable and has a 30-day trial without restrictions. It can do bitmap carving (like lithophanes, even as embossing on 3D surfaces) and some 2-D work but for the latter I prefer Vectric VCarve.

Last edited by JerryBurks; 01-27-2012 at 11:45 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Try heeks or look at reprap cut.py or such ( i am now on vacation) so it is off my mind cu Thomas

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

thanks for the input. i downloaded meshlab, which exports dxf from stl (sketchup) really well (using kcam as a ref. point). i even found gsimple, but i dont like it, it says, when dxf imported, 0 dxf entities found. heeks cnc looks pretty solid, but i need to dig in some more. vectric seems a great choice, as well as mesh cam. meshcam is simpler, but keep getting stuck at some point, as i only get the code for surface milling. i mean, i need to cut an object from a block of material. ok, i import the stl file into meshcam, start generating the toolpath. i only get the toolpath for surface machining, on top of the object (pics later). to cut an object from a block i need to make a plane under the object, but then it generates path that is too deep for my machine; if an object is 10 mm high, it generates 10mm deep cuts. it would probably work on foam, or styrofoam, but on anything more dense, (soft plastic, soft mdf) no way. i am probably missing something here, so any help is more than appreciated. vectric is good, but the trial doesn't allow me to save toolpaths made from my own objects, so. i'll do some tests with sample files from vectric, and see how it behaves

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails hobby CAD/CAM software-kvadar-meshcam-jpg   hobby CAD/CAM software-kvadar-plane-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

meshcam is simpler, but keep getting stuck at some point, as i only get the code for surface milling. i mean, i need to cut an object from a block of material. ok, i import the stl file into meshcam, start generating the toolpath. i only get the toolpath for surface machining, on top of the object (pics later). to cut an object from a block i need to make a plane under the object, but then it generates path that is too deep for my machine; if an object is 10 mm high, it generates 10mm deep cuts. it would probably work on foam, or styrofoam, but on anything more dense, (soft plastic, soft mdf) no way. i am probably missing something here, so any help is more than appreciated.
    First, you need to increase the stock size, as MeshCAM will not create toolpaths outside of the stock.

Second, you need to do a roughing past to remove most of the material. YOU Can specify the depth per pass for roughing passes.

You're only using a finishing pass.

For the finishing pass, MeshCAM will cut the full depth (up to the flute length in the tool table).

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    First, you need to increase the stock size, as MeshCAM will not create toolpaths outside of the stock.

Second, you need to do a roughing past to remove most of the material. YOU Can specify the depth per pass for roughing passes.

You're only using a finishing pass.

For the finishing pass, MeshCAM will cut the full depth (up to the flute length in the tool table).
    well, there's your problem. i should've known it's something THAT simple. by stock size, do You mean the size of the object, or the block the object is machined from?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

got it. stock size is the size of the block of material the object is machined from.
    then, machining region is next to be set up. thanks ger, You've been enormous help!

Downloads
    Uploads

There's also a max depth setting if you need to limit the depth of the finish pass.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

i have beaten the meshcam (almost). i had some issue with the parallel finishing until i realized you can "uncheck" the boxes next to the "cut along" options. reading through help articles has also helped a lot (don't say...). i think i found my combo. sketchup+stl plugin>meshcam>kcam. might not be the best one available, but it will work perfectly for me, at this point. of course, i need to twist here, turn there a bit, and find the best setting for each of the named applications, but it's a learning curve, which i like a lot.
    thanks everyone for the help!
    now to just get back to building part...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: hobby CAD/CAM software

Quote Originally Posted by lamesh99 View Post
    thanks in advance!
    I use Easle, FREE online Drawing and gcode generator. The easiest I have used and I've used at a lot. The software I used for my DIY 4'x4'x12" Z cnc mill is LinuxCNC. I started with LinuxCNC then I liked the options, look and feel of Mach3 so I purchased it that's when the problems stareted al of a sudden I could'nt get smooth stepping, I could'nt get it to be accurate. When drawing a circle the beginning and end where always off (never met). So I went back to LinuxCNC to view my configurations and LinuxCNC worked perfect, smooth motion and extremely accurate. There's a little bit of a hasle working with Linux but it's totally FREE both the operating system and the LinuxCNC milling software. Plus with a little effort you can installed different GUI interfaces and edit them to look the way you want. Lots of help out there and You Tube videos.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Easel Easel

LinuxCNC Linuxcnc.org

Quote Originally Posted by JohnPaul2 View Post
    I use Easle, FREE online Drawing and gcode generator. The easiest I have used and I've used at a lot. The software I used for my DIY 4'x4'x12" Z cnc mill is LinuxCNC. I started with LinuxCNC then I liked the options, look and feel of Mach3 so I purchased it that's when the problems stareted al of a sudden I could'nt get smooth stepping, I could'nt get it to be accurate. When drawing a circle the beginning and end where always off (never met). So I went back to LinuxCNC to view my configurations and LinuxCNC worked perfect, smooth motion and extremely accurate. There's a little bit of a hasle working with Linux but it's totally FREE both the operating system and the LinuxCNC milling software. Plus with a little effort you can installed different GUI interfaces and edit them to look the way you want. Lots of help out there and You Tube videos.

Downloads
    Uploads

Any of the VCarve product line. I have used for years, creates and previews and outputs code for your machine. What more could you want?

1000x750 Workbee CNC - Mach4 - PMDX USB - Windows 10 Pro

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by wmgeorge View Post
    Any of the VCarve product line. I have used for years, creates and previews and outputs code for your machine. What more could you want?
    How does it compare with F-engrave? I ask because I have found F-engrave extremely good and the output previews exactly what will happen when I load the program into LinuxCNC.Both these pieces of software were free,but if there is something to be gained by switching to VCarve I will have to look into it.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by routalot View Post
    How does it compare with F-engrave? I ask because I have found F-engrave extremely good and the output previews exactly what will happen when I load the program into LinuxCNC.Both these pieces of software were free,but if there is something to be gained by switching to VCarve I will have to look into it.
    If you have a smaller table machine you can get by with the Desktop version I think its like $400. I am sure it has a post processor for LinuxCNC but I use Mach3 in Windows 7.

I see F-Engrave is one of those free programs, well you can't beat the price. You can download a "free" trial of VCarve Desktop and see how it compares. its PC only, not Linux. I use my router to make some extra cash so I just want to get it done.

1000x750 Workbee CNC - Mach4 - PMDX USB - Windows 10 Pro

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast