hobby CAD/CAM software - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: hobby CAD/CAM software

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

got it. stock size is the size of the block of material the object is machined from.
    then, machining region is next to be set up. thanks ger, You've been enormous help!

Downloads
    Uploads

There's also a max depth setting if you need to limit the depth of the finish pass.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

i have beaten the meshcam (almost). i had some issue with the parallel finishing until i realized you can "uncheck" the boxes next to the "cut along" options. reading through help articles has also helped a lot (don't say...). i think i found my combo. sketchup+stl plugin>meshcam>kcam. might not be the best one available, but it will work perfectly for me, at this point. of course, i need to twist here, turn there a bit, and find the best setting for each of the named applications, but it's a learning curve, which i like a lot.
    thanks everyone for the help!
    now to just get back to building part...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: hobby CAD/CAM software

Quote Originally Posted by lamesh99 View Post
    hey, i need some help and advice. i need software to run my machine. i have already tried kcam, and i like it, it's simple. i got accustomed to sketchup, and use it fairly easy. now, sketchup free can't export dxf or stl without plugin. kcam can't import stl. when i try to convert one into another, that's where the problems kick in. every object is either incredibly large, or displays just outlines, edges (such as a line where two faces of a rectangle meet). free mill can't cut or mill circles, arcs or curves. i have downloaded gsimple, but it doesn't work like i want to.
    where i am going wrong? are there any combos that work good together, or do i need to experiment further? and please, if possible, take price into account, open source would be more than perfect.
    thanks in advance!
    I use Easle, FREE online Drawing and gcode generator. The easiest I have used and I've used at a lot. The software I used for my DIY 4'x4'x12" Z cnc mill is LinuxCNC. I started with LinuxCNC then I liked the options, look and feel of Mach3 so I purchased it that's when the problems stareted al of a sudden I could'nt get smooth stepping, I could'nt get it to be accurate. When drawing a circle the beginning and end where always off (never met). So I went back to LinuxCNC to view my configurations and LinuxCNC worked perfect, smooth motion and extremely accurate. There's a little bit of a hasle working with Linux but it's totally FREE both the operating system and the LinuxCNC milling software. Plus with a little effort you can installed different GUI interfaces and edit them to look the way you want. Lots of help out there and You Tube videos.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Easel Easel

LinuxCNC Linuxcnc.org

Quote Originally Posted by JohnPaul2 View Post
    I use Easle, FREE online Drawing and gcode generator. The easiest I have used and I've used at a lot. The software I used for my DIY 4'x4'x12" Z cnc mill is LinuxCNC. I started with LinuxCNC then I liked the options, look and feel of Mach3 so I purchased it that's when the problems stareted al of a sudden I could'nt get smooth stepping, I could'nt get it to be accurate. When drawing a circle the beginning and end where always off (never met). So I went back to LinuxCNC to view my configurations and LinuxCNC worked perfect, smooth motion and extremely accurate. There's a little bit of a hasle working with Linux but it's totally FREE both the operating system and the LinuxCNC milling software. Plus with a little effort you can installed different GUI interfaces and edit them to look the way you want. Lots of help out there and You Tube videos.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Any of the VCarve product line. I have used for years, creates and previews and outputs code for your machine. What more could you want?

Retired Master Electrician, HVAC/R Commercial union shop and Lots of hobbies. FLA Saturn 2 4x4 CNC Router

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by wmgeorge View Post
    Any of the VCarve product line. I have used for years, creates and previews and outputs code for your machine. What more could you want?
    How does it compare with F-engrave? I ask because I have found F-engrave extremely good and the output previews exactly what will happen when I load the program into LinuxCNC.Both these pieces of software were free,but if there is something to be gained by switching to VCarve I will have to look into it.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by routalot View Post
    How does it compare with F-engrave? I ask because I have found F-engrave extremely good and the output previews exactly what will happen when I load the program into LinuxCNC.Both these pieces of software were free,but if there is something to be gained by switching to VCarve I will have to look into it.
    If you have a smaller table machine you can get by with the Desktop version I think its like $400. I am sure it has a post processor for LinuxCNC but I use Mach3 in Windows 7.

I see F-Engrave is one of those free programs, well you can't beat the price. You can download a "free" trial of VCarve Desktop and see how it compares. its PC only, not Linux. I use my router to make some extra cash so I just want to get it done.

Retired Master Electrician, HVAC/R Commercial union shop and Lots of hobbies. FLA Saturn 2 4x4 CNC Router

Downloads
    Uploads

I’m new to all this but here is what I have works perfectly and all free:

Sketchup free version - save as Sketchup file (skp)
    Fusion 360 free hobbyist version - can import skp files directly and outputs g Code.

Downloads
    Uploads

If you know sketchup you can just open the sketchup file in Fusion 360 without having to worry about exporting types/settings.

This is a great tutorial for Fusion 360:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by wmgeorge View Post
    If you have a smaller table machine you can get by with the Desktop version I think its like $400. I am sure it has a post processor for LinuxCNC but I use Mach3 in Windows 7.

I see F-Engrave is one of those free programs, well you can't beat the price. You can download a "free" trial of VCarve Desktop and see how it compares. its PC only, not Linux. I use my router to make some extra cash so I just want to get it done.
    I suspect it would run in Linux under Wine.F-engrave certainly does as I found it easier to add .ttf fonts to the Windows version that to get the .cxf to .ttf utility to work in Linux.I also found that Freecad in the Windows version can be installed on LinuxCNC more easily than going direct to the Freecad Linux repository.In fact if Freecad had the V engraving capability it would be sufficient on its own for almost all my machining needs and it has the correct post processor.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

My software setup is pretty simple and all free. I do all of the 2D design in Inkscape and I usually convert that to gcode via MakerCAM (http://www.makercam.com). MakerCAM is ultra simple and lacks some of the more complex machining strategies, but for most things it works pretty good. I've just gotten into some 3D and I used Fusion360 for that, but I'm a rank beginner with the software. I actually control my machine with an Arduino Uno via a Raspberry Pi 3b+ running BCNC to send the instructions to the machine. The Arduino-Raspberry combination worked great for 3D machining my latest guitar neck.

Quote Originally Posted by lamesh99 View Post
    hey, i need some help and advice. i need software to run my machine. i have already tried kcam, and i like it, it's simple. i got accustomed to sketchup, and use it fairly easy. now, sketchup free can't export dxf or stl without plugin. kcam can't import stl. when i try to convert one into another, that's where the problems kick in. every object is either incredibly large, or displays just outlines, edges (such as a line where two faces of a rectangle meet). free mill can't cut or mill circles, arcs or curves. i have downloaded gsimple, but it doesn't work like i want to.
    where i am going wrong? are there any combos that work good together, or do i need to experiment further? and please, if possible, take price into account, open source would be more than perfect.
    thanks in advance!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12