Thread: My First Router

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Beautiful work. I think your chip sweeper status is due for an upgrade

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Can you please let us know the source of lead screws. Or tell us more about these. Thnx

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Leadscrews

Hi guys

The Leadscrews are just toughened rolled trapazoidal form,16mm dia * 4mm pitch.The nuts are phospher bronze matching the leadscrews.The nuts have been split and inserted into a steel sleeve screwed at both ends with a 1mm pitch thread,i have then added 80 serrations around the o/d of the flange on the nut.A small screw with a point on it locates in the serrations and this enables me to take any backlash up on the nut in very small increments (.0005").The leadscrews and nuts were just stock items from Ondrives Ltd here in the UK.

Mark

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

HI All, I'm new to the concept of CNC machining. I've got a simple question. What exactly is backlash? I can think of several possible definitions, but I'd like to know for sure.

Thanks,
    bb99

There are 10 types of people in this world; those that understand binary and those that don't.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Backlash is freeplay in a mechanical mechanism. With leadscrews its the freeplay in the nuts of the leadscrews. You can feel this on a simple bolt/nut combo.

Take a bolt and a nut and screw them together so that the nut is fulley engaged on the thread, but not tight against anything like the shoulder of the bolt, etc. Now try to pull/push the nut. You will feel some freeplay in the nut... and the measure of freeplay is the measure of backlash.

Put another way, if you turn the nut clockwise it will engage the bolt and wind up the shaft, but if you now try to reverse the nut you will have to turn it about 1/4 to 1/2 a turn before the nut engages the thread in the reverse direction. That is the measure of backlash in terms of turns on the screw.

Is that understandable?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

ehiebert

Perfectly! I had two other potential definitions in my mind and wasn't sure which was correct. Also, thanks for putting it in terms of screw turns. That was quite helpful!

--bb99

There are 10 types of people in this world; those that understand binary and those that don't.

Downloads
    Uploads

backlash is also found in the lead screw support bearings. When this happens the whole screw can move back and forth a little. This is where most of the backlash is presently found on my machine.

Eric

I wish it wouldn't crash.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default To Breakout or Not ?

Well

The time is here to decide on a breakout board or not.The problem is in the uk that there are no breakout boards available, so it,s either make one or do without.Anyway here is a new piccy of the completed z axis.The router is now mounted and all the guarding/ energy chains in place.I have just ordered the energy chain for the y axis and i will finish the limits and ref wiring on the y axis this week.Not Long now !!!!!!!!

Mark

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My First Router-finished-z-axis-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Mark
    Do you have a web site with additional photos of your good lookin machine? If not could you post some picture of your Y and Z axis?
    Thanks
    Hager

Downloads
    Uploads

Sorry Mark,
    I found them on page 2 of this thread.
    Hager

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Mark,
    Nice looking machine! Where abouts in the UK are you based? I'm in Leeds myself! What are you using as the router on your machine? My own setup is a little less professional than yours (I'm really using it do help me develop my interest in the control hardware/software). Isn't it a little frustrating reading posts from the US guys both the prices they have and availability....

Andy

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default American Prices ?

Hi Andy

I live in Co Durham,At this point i have bought just a cheap 550w router which will still give me somewhere to start and when it wears out i can just throw it away.As for American parts availability and prices, i tend to find that prices are not too bad here but parts take a lot more searching out.But on saying that,It still makes me green with envy at the choice these guys have.Just a footnote about the machine,All is well and i will be posting some updated photo's shortly.I have been busy with the tidying up of cables and gaurding,because i fear if i wait until the router is fully working it will never get finished.(like most projects).
    I have also added a renishaw cmm probe for probing of surfaces i will try and post some photo's of this also.
    Very nice to hear of somebody else in the uk though!!!

Mark

Downloads
    Uploads

All I can say is great work.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

truely inspiring!!!

now to get off my butt!!!

Bob

Downloads
    Uploads

You are setting new standards for construction design and craftsmanship! If my project can be half as good...I'd be happy.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I am impressed!

mike
    (not easily impressed)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Update ?

Hi Guys

Just a piccy of the energy chians in situ,Still got some of wires to route through them.I am trying to tie all the loose ends up because if i wait until it's running 100% they will not get done.

Mark

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My First Router-energy-chains-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Cmm probe

Oh while i'm on

I have also fitted and tested the cmm probe,Guess what it works 100%.A strange feeling when you see this machine thundering about at 4000mm/min and you put your hand under the probe and it stops with such little force on the probe.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My First Router-cmm-probe-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

That is one sweet machine.

Thank You,
    Paul G

Check out-
    [URL="http://www.signs101.com"]www.signs101.com[/URL]

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Please excuse my ignorance, but what is a cmm probe?! Some sort of touch probe I know, but are you using it to set up the machine, or will it be used for 3d scanning?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast