Build Thread A4 build log

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: A4 build log

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default A4 build log

Ok I grabbed up John's aka microcrave's 5th A4....

day 1 I took about 45 minutes to assemble it.

then since i work like everyone else

Day 2 is the start on the electronics

which consists of a "http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0041RSC8A"]micro atx atom 1.8 with "http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001AZV2WY"]2 gigs of ram, 500 gig hd. I am installing linux EMC2 on it. DISCLAIMER, I am a linux guy, I know what hardware works and doesn't I also check the manufacturers specs before i buy the board. and everyone has their hardware preference. The mother i linked has native support and i like how fast amazon ships to me. thats it.

Notice the mother board has no power button? I setup in the bios to always power on after power off. My keyboard is plastic wrapped for dust control and i have an optical trackball for it.

I installed ubuntu 10.04 with the following options tweak for easier use and the fact it will be stand alone. i.e no outside network access.

Since I didnt use the linuxcnc.org image, I have to manually install the EMC2 packages.

so I grabbed the script from linuxcnc.org

if your new to linux you may have trouble running it. but with a few simple commands you can get it done easy.

first click applications, then accessories and click the Terminal to run it. you should get a screen similar to this:

next you want to browse to where the file was downloaded, and since we are on defaults still we use this command "cd Downloads" (note linux is case sensitive)

a quick directory listing shows the install script is non executable right now:

so we chmod it:

and now its green so we can run it:

you will get this prompt: enter your password

next enter a y, case does not matter.

ok EMC2 will install. YOU MUST reboot afterward or you will get this message:

ok reboot completed. now its time to clicky here: record the value after following instructions, mine was 5646 fyi.

which gets you this:

ok run EMC2, I used this for a test :

and i got :

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by zhanx; 03-10-2011 at 08:58 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ok next Up:

Day 3 Is finalizing the Computer portion. I.e all the software besides EMC2. Not a lot of pictures yet. but I can and will do screen shots but I need a network cable for it still .

Day 4. Will be setting my probotixs drivers and break out board

Day 5. Will be making a base for the A4 to sit on and mounting all electronics in it.

etc. I am gonna reserve the next two posts just in case this runs long than one post.

Todo. get a bosch colt router. and bits. I need some recommendations on bit to get. 1/8 collet

Last edited by zhanx; 03-10-2011 at 08:58 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

long day at work just laying out the electronics as i missed the post office.

Last edited by zhanx; 03-11-2011 at 06:57 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

If miss something or you have a question post it now as i doing this so I can answer it for you during the build. i do take somethings for granite etc. so i might skip stuff.

Downloads
    Uploads

does emc have built in text engraver?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by neurofen View Post
    No it does not but here is a link to some python scripts which you can use to enhance EMC2. Some you will fine are quite useful.

Also I have never used EMC2 on a machine but I know linux I use it to built robots like this one.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

ok skipped around a bit since i missed the post office hours to pick up my probotix stuff.

Got the base cut out and mounted. Still have to paint it up today. After that I am gonna try and get the computer setup finished.

I have Plexiglas to enclose the base in. But i will be waiting to do that till after I have all the wiring done (waiting on connectors, fans etc.).

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Added this to the right hand side of it to hold bits.
    Should keep everything handy and organized for starters.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Looks like a great build, very sleek, and the EMC2 walk through is going to be very helpful as I was thinking of trying it out.

What motors and driver are you using on this machine? Was it a kit or did you source things separately?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I am using Keling bipolar steppers on it, 185in oz with probotix stepper drivers and isolated break out board.

Now that I have time today I am gonna screen shot the setup phase for the EMC2 and the machine.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by neurofen View Post
    It's got an image to gcode converter built in. You can pop open the GIMP, drop some text into an image, save, then load in EMC2. There are also other scripts that'll lay up text, but the image converter is right there at install.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default .125 carbide bits

Quote Originally Posted by zhanx View Post
    Ok next Up:

Day 3 Is finalizing the Computer portion. I.e all the software besides EMC2. Not a lot of pictures yet. but I can and will do screen shots but I need a network cable for it still .

Day 4. Will be setting my probotixs drivers and break out board

Day 5. Will be making a base for the A4 to sit on and mounting all electronics in it.

etc. I am gonna reserve the next two posts just in case this runs long than one post.

Todo. get a bosch colt router. and bits. I need some recommendations on bit to get. 1/8 collet

You can find carbide bits on eBay search toolsandtunes this seller list .125 carbide bits only on the weekends you have to be fast because they sell in a hurry.

Downloads
    Uploads

zhanx, great thread!

I'll be using EMC2 with my A4 as well. We'll have to share tips and techniques. I'm looking forward to getting some fine detail out of it like John (microcarve) has with his lithophanes. Not on day 1, perhaps...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ok time for the setup phase for the EMC2 for the A4

A photo walkthrough :

Your basic starter screen:

Right now we are gonna use a new setup like this, aka no changes off default:

I only changed the name of this setup so i can remember it if i get another machine later:

Now when i wired my machine I oops and swapped the X/Y axis so a quick fix here and my machine is right again:

Quick three in a row:

Ok my setup: first all my steppers are 1.8 degree, 200 steps per revolution.
    I do't have a pulley system so it stays one to one. Next is the leadscrew pitch which microcarve said is a 12 (thanks for that by the way). I played with the speed and google a bit before settling on it at .2 as its smooth and doesn't skip. And of course table travel is based off microcarve's specs.

And finishing up the setup:

Which now gives you three icons on your desktop:

Double Clicking the launch icon starts EMC2 with your setup.

Questions go!

(more to come)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

installed my tool head mount from k2

Downloads
    Uploads

Very nice!

I'll be using a Gecko 540 driver, so once I post my setup we'll have the start of an EMC configuration database for the A4.

Looking forward to pics of your first cuts with the A4!

-Mark

http://saundby.com/cnc --my website
    http://catsonkeyboards.blogspot.com/ --my blog

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by saundby View Post
    Very nice!

I'll be using a Gecko 540 driver, so once I post my setup we'll have the start of an EMC configuration database for the A4.

Looking forward to pics of your first cuts with the A4!

-Mark
    The only changes I see happening are maybe the pins. The speeds are limited by the machine I would think.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

got side tracked for the last 24 hours, My first project with the CNC machine:

Just a home brewed 3d laser scanner, nothing big.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

PLANS OR IT DIDNT HAPPEN!!!!!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by prcdslnc13 View Post
    PLANS OR IT DIDNT HAPPEN!!!!!
    Can you program in c++? I will be releasing everything as opensource for this project and dont you see the drawings in the posted above

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast