Drill chuck for Kress FME1050

Thread: Drill chuck for Kress FME1050

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Drill chuck for Kress FME1050

Hi people.

I have just got a Kress FME1050 (5000 RPM version) to use on my table mill...

I am super-pleased with its perfomance, but I need a way to mount drill bits ranging from 0.5 mm to 4mm.

I thought of a drill chuck with a 6 or 8 mm straight shank to mount in the spindle (Use a 6 or 8 mm collet)

Has anyone got good suggestions on suppliers of mini drill chucks with straight shanks. (The kress accepts up to 10 mm shanks). Links please.....

I looked around Ebay, but didn´t find any suited (except some proxxons, that didn´t look too good)!

Thanks

Jussi

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

You just need a small drill chuck and a custom made Arbor it must be capable of running at the speed you require.

I made some for a JT0 taper, before anyone offers to turn one for you the taper and shank should be ground on a cylindrical grinder.

Something that not everyone will have is a cylindrical grinder.

Phil

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Phil..

I actually have a small chuck that will be perfect for most of my needs...

I am bit lost with all the sizes and types of arbors, though. And I want to get right the time....

This is written on it: 0.6-6.5 mm 3/8-24 UNF (I am betting that means a 3/8 inch thread - but I am not very strong with imperial). See photo.

What is the quickest and easiest way to adapt this to fit the Kress...?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Drill chuck for Kress FME1050-dsc_7862-1-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

The easiest way is to modify an existing arbour but threaded chucks normally fit on power drills, they are not precision and any run out at high speed will be bad.

You are right the thread is 3/8 x 24 TPI

Phil

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Placing a chuck on a router spinning at high speed would not be my first choice. I would contact this company, I believe I have seen there link on the forum here.

Good luck.

http://www.gpcollets.com/

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

OK...

So you are saying I would be better off with a new chuck and a custum arbor?

I am on bit of a budget for now, so I would like the cheapest possible solution. And I mostly need to drill softer materials like Delrin/POM, Plywood and very occsionally some G10. So I dont have a great need for speed....

That particular chuck came from another (chinese) milling spindle, and I have used it with succes as a drill in the same mill. So I am pretty sure it can suit my needs until I can afford to buy a really nice chuck and custum arbor!

Bottom line: Can you point me towards a suitable combination of chuck/arbor? I dont have access to a lathe...

Been looking some more, and I think I can make this one fit my need with the chuck I already got:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Threaded-Arbor-3...item1c14e5bd25

But I would also like to get some other suggestions on how to use a kress FME 1050 for drilling!

Thanks

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The Kress can run 5000 RPM, which should be quite safe for drilling delrin and other plastics, I think! The other one could only go as low as 10.000 rpm and taht worked just fine....so I am pretty sure it wont be a problem!

But of course - in a perfect world you would not use a Milling spindle as a drill

I will look into your suggestion, thanks