Mini CNC Router progress pictures

Thread: Mini CNC Router progress pictures

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Mini CNC Router progress pictures

Hi All,

I haven't posted for a while, but some of you may remember this router that I started a couple of years ago. Progress has been very slow and intermittent..too many other projects, hobbies and interests. I'm going to try to make a final push and get this thing running now.

The first picture shows the new spindle. It's a nice high frequency Perske motor originally used for a trim saw on an edgebander. Ebay is not always evil- it was $75, unused. All I had to do was cut off the shaft and make quick-change tool holders that screw on. I also changed the spring washer arrangement, and then had it re-balanced. It's rated 1.4HP, 17,030 RPM at 300Hz. Using a small Yaskawa VFD to convert 220 single phase to the required 165V 3 phase, it runs nice and smooth, and much quieter than a hand router.

Z-travel was increased to 4-1/2" by joining short rails together, and it has 4-3/4" clearance under the gantry. All the axes are complete now, using all precision ground, preloaded ballscrews and dc servos. I'd like to be able to cut soft metals with it, so ribs on the sides of the gantry bolted to an extended bottom cross piece will probably be added to stiffen it up.

The next picture shows the new enclosure made from Bosch extrusion that I picked up at a local surplus store for $2/lb. I purchased the connecting hardware and door hinges from a local Bosch distributor, which cost more than the extrusion itself. When finished, it will have 1/4" lexan doors on the top, and something like 1/4" MDF to enclose a shop-vac in the bottom to keep dust contained. The industrial PC on top came from ebay- I'll probably replace the CRT with a flat touchscreen eventually. The nice precision machinists vise was also a steal on ebay for $150. The table top will probably get a grid of tapped holes for clamping, then eventually a vacuum table can be added.

The last 3 pics just show some detail. Encoders are mounted to the servos and to the ballscrews on X and Y. Amp CPC connectors will allow me to use either set. The 2000 CPR encoders on the screws give better than .0002" resolution, so it should be able to engrave on a pinhead if I ever get the urge.

Enjoy the pictures, and I'd be happy to answer questions if anybody has them. More progress to come soon, I hope...

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mini CNC Router progress pictures-router1-jpg   Mini CNC Router progress pictures-router2-jpg   Mini CNC Router progress pictures-router3-jpg   Mini CNC Router progress pictures-router4-jpg  

Mini CNC Router progress pictures-router5-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Very nice.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

very good machine.

Downloads
    Uploads

It looks really solid. What type of router is that, I've never seen one like it before?

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks guys. That's not a "real" router motor, just high-speed motor that makes a good router. I think it was made custom by Perske for a Torwegge edge bander laminate trimming station. It's rated at 17,030 RPM but could probably be pushed a little faster without damage.

Downloads
    Uploads

Great job!

That's one nice looking Router table!
    Its nice to see things bolted together with socket head cap screws, it gives everything a touch of professionalism!
    I also like the 8020 rack to contain the router and the PC, nice touch!

Hope it serves you well!
    Eric

Downloads
    Uploads

Looks solid to me I like it!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Looks like a winner to me.

If it's not nailed down, it's mine.
    If I can pry it loose, it's not nailed down.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Great lookin machine. Nice find on the spindle.

Downloads
    Uploads

Wink Re: Mini CNC Router progress pictures

Thanks guys. It's finally going to get finished! A friend at work is in need of a small machine, so I'm helping him finish this. I put an ER-11 collet holder on the spindle along with new bearings and it runs very smooth. The wiring is mostly done, we just need to land the field wires. The electrical panel is pretty cramped, but so far the control power circuit is working with the charge pump. Should be runnning soon :-)
    Kevin

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mini CNC Router progress pictures-dsc_0094-jpg   Mini CNC Router progress pictures-dsc_0093-jpg   Mini CNC Router progress pictures-dsc_0092-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Mini CNC Router progress pictures

Nice and solid machine.

Downloads
    Uploads

Well it's finally running. It may be my oldest project ever to get finished. A friend at work is buying it from me to make guitar pick guards that he got a patent on. The video shows a small one in front of the test cut. I'll be glad to see it leave the shop and be of use to someone.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

That is the motivation I needed! What an awesome machine . . .

It takes a lot of time to build a machine correctly. I have been messing with mine on and off for two years. I'm looking forward to pushing the power ON button some day soon!

[url]www.routebot.com[/url]