digital_life, see Kavo products:
    http://www.kavo-drives.com/english/home/home.asp

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Spindle lock ideas needed

Hi

I`ve been looking at my LittleMachineShop spindle and for the
    life of me I can`t seem to find easy way to add a spindle lock.
    Hoping for some help here.

Regards Barry

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Spindle Idea-dustcover-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Smile Mini Mill Spindle Lock Kit

Hi Barry,

Here is a link to the kit sold by Littlemachineshop.com.

http://www.littlemachineshop.com/pro...ProductID=2352

The pin goes into a hole in the pulley housing. Make your own with a spring loaded pin that goes into a hole drilled into your pulley or where the set screw is or push a pin or lever or "whatever" that will block the rotation of the pulley.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Just posting to keep in touch

Downloads
    Uploads

this is my spindle, I used secondhand Inductan Servo to make spindle.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Spindle Idea-dscf3904-jpg   Spindle Idea-dscf3905-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by tivoidethuong View Post
    this is my spindle, I used secondhand Inductan Servo to make spindle.
    Congratulations! Very innovative application of surplus motor.
    How did you make the collet portion?
    What kind of collet?

Did you change out the bearings? If so, to what?

Lastly, what kind of rpm/torque are you getting?
    Are the brushes holding up after extended running?
    Do you experience case temps getting too hot under extended high rpm load?

Again, nice idea. Hope it works real well for you.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

yes please share any details this looks very promissing

Downloads
    Uploads

Collet i use is ER20, i did not grinding collet, i use EXTENSION ER COLLET CHUCK to make it. This like the pic

Bearing i use 7206b.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Spindles

I can help out with any spindle questions anyone has, that is what I do. (Repair Spindles.)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Is this spindle going to work?

Attached is a spindle I am getting ready to build. I currently use a PC 892 to cut wood and some aluminum, but I would like to be able to achieve 100 to 4000 rpm, so I am building a spindle. Because I am using a screw-on chuck from porter-cable, all of my tooling is ready to use with it. I am going to redneck this a little bit, and just use the radial bearings that are used in my porter cable. Hey, they have lasted 3 years, with minimal runout @ 24000 rpm. The lower bearing on the PC router I have is a slide-fit onto the spidle, and it is "sprung" into position with a Beveled internal snap ring. There is a complementary bevel on the casing, and it will self adjust a small amount as the bearings wear. I intend to use that in my new spindle.
    The servo I am going to use is the Torquemaster 3505 with C winding from Cleveland Motion Controls. The technical assistance guy told me that with my power supply (24V @ 31.5A) and the Gecko drive, I will have 5100 RPM max, with about 2.7 in-lbs of torque (at only 7 amps, about 3.9 @ 10 amps). Is that enough to make heavy cuts in aluminum, at a reasonable speed?
    Without the encoder, it is $340 US, an additional $210 for the encoder. I will install my own to the spindle top.
    Does anyone have any advice or recomendations before I embark on this 700 dollar project? My CNC is mainly 1/2" plate aluminum, and is more rigid than I expected. I think the mechanicals can handle it. I might have to get silly and try to cut some steel when it is finished...
    Please help let my know any recomendations

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Spindle Idea-1-jpg   Spindle Idea-2-jpg   Spindle Idea-3-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Your bearings might work, but its a big might.

NC cams might chime in here but using bearings for a router that are designed for 24k rpm on something that spins 100 to 4k rpm at a higher load(more than likely) is probably a mismatch in application.

there are A lot of bearings on the market that are fairly cheap for that RPM range. I would go with them.

as far as the design is. It looks o.k. as long as the working part of the spindle is held as rigid as possible and not the motor part.

thanks
    Michael T.
    "If you don't stand for something, chances are, you'll fall for anything!"

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Inch pounds?

Quote Originally Posted by spoiledbrat View Post
    Attached is a spindle I am getting ready to build. I currently use a PC 892 to cut wood and some aluminum, but I would like to be able to achieve 100 to 4000 rpm, so I am building a spindle. Because I am using a screw-on chuck from porter-cable, all of my tooling is ready to use with it. I am going to redneck this a little bit, and just use the radial bearings that are used in my porter cable. Hey, they have lasted 3 years, with minimal runout @ 24000 rpm. The lower bearing on the PC router I have is a slide-fit onto the spidle, and it is "sprung" into position with a Beveled internal snap ring. There is a complementary bevel on the casing, and it will self adjust a small amount as the bearings wear. I intend to use that in my new spindle.
    The servo I am going to use is the Torquemaster 3505 with C winding from Cleveland Motion Controls. The technical assistance guy told me that with my power supply (24V @ 31.5A) and the Gecko drive, I will have 5100 RPM max, with about 2.7 in-lbs of torque (at only 7 amps, about 3.9 @ 10 amps). Is that enough to make heavy cuts in aluminum, at a reasonable speed?
    Without the encoder, it is $340 US, an additional $210 for the encoder. I will install my own to the spindle top.
    Does anyone have any advice or recomendations before I embark on this 700 dollar project? My CNC is mainly 1/2" plate aluminum, and is more rigid than I expected. I think the mechanicals can handle it. I might have to get silly and try to cut some steel when it is finished...
    Please help let my know any recomendations
    I would be looking for foot pounds of torque not inch pounds. This doesn't look practical to me, especially at $700. The standard motor for the mini mill is .45 horsepower, the smallest spindle I run is 1 horsepower.

If you mounted a minimill spindle with a belt drive kit on your machine and remoted the motor controller you would be better off. Mount your screw-on chuck on a standard size rod and use it in a collet mounted in the spindle. No heavy cuts in aluminum with this class machine. Your going to need 2 or more horsepower and a rigid machine for anything serious. Cutting steel in a gantry machine isn't practical.

Most of the time I use the 1 horse Grizzly router in my machine. I just replaced the bearings in it after about 100 hours of run time. 10 sets of bearings for it cost less than $25.00.

The biggest problem for all these machines is finding a light weight motor with lots of horsepower.

I wonder if a variable speed porter cable router could be fitted with a 4:1 reduction belt drive to run a mini mill spindle. That would multiply the torque by 4 and reduce your 24,000 rpm to 6,000 rpm maximum. A 3 horse power router motor would have plenty of torque to work aluminum.

MikeAber

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Page 22 of 32 FirstFirst ... 1219202122232425 ... LastLast