Cheap home made Touch Probe.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cheap home made Touch Probe.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Cheap home made Touch Probe.

here’s my home made probe wanted something to play with but with out the cost.
    It’s made out of MDF water pipe pan head screws springs wire connecters.
    Works ok for what it is.

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cheap home made Touch Probe.-dsci0001-jpg   Cheap home made Touch Probe.-dsci0002-jpg   Cheap home made Touch Probe.-dsci0003-jpg   Cheap home made Touch Probe.-dsci0004-jpg  

Cheap home made Touch Probe.-dsci0074-jpg   Cheap home made Touch Probe.-image1-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi I was just wondering if you could explain how this works the probe I meen this is really interesting

thank you

Downloads
    Uploads

Here’s some more pics let me know if you need more or what you want to know about it.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cheap home made Touch Probe.-dsci0005-jpg   Cheap home made Touch Probe.-dsci0006-jpg   Cheap home made Touch Probe.-dsci0007-jpg   Cheap home made Touch Probe.-dsci0008-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Are You using it only verticaly? I mean when probing, do you only go to the probed part from top and measure the vertical coordinate when one of the contacts is opend, or are You running the probe along the part?
    How does it behave on skew surfaces? What is the raster used for probing the wrench???

I know.. tonns of questions, but this is a realy interesting project. Congratulations, looks realy impressing to me.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

those are great pictures what software are you using with this setup

Downloads
    Uploads

I use mach3 to run the probe and my machine. The digitizing wizard in mach3 works good
    when probing the writing on the wrench it comes down in the z axes and records the position
    that’s all I’ve done with it so fare it will activate going in the XYZ position.
    Was just sharing what I made with every one who mite want to play with a probe but don’t have the money for it or the time to make a fancy one.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Brilliant. There I was thinking about using PC board and bearings.
    Will use your design just replacing mdf with plastic.
    Thanks
    Paul

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Also home made Touch Probe.

http://www.indoor.flyer.co.uk/probe.htm

Downloads
    Uploads

It looks like you made 10 passes to get that crude image - but its not bad considering it came off the side of that monkey wrench .... And that's pretty fine lettering .. probably most uses of your probe will be on larger scale and will give you better ...

I don't know what the purpose of this thing is other than to make an image .. it seems like rather crude type of 'scanner' like a paper scanner (2D) but it's a 3D scanner - so mach3 gives you that image and then you can recreate it ... So it's for scanning in something ot get a rough plot which you can then mill and produce something almost as good as the original .. ?

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

chronon1, these type probes can be used to pick up the edges of a part, fnd the center of a hole or scan a part in 3d giving a point cloud that can then be manipulated into a full 3d image so a gcode program can then be made from that. Reverse engineering is the largest use for these type probes.

Mike

No greater love can a man have than this, that he give his life for a friend.

Downloads
    Uploads

Sounds pretty cool - beets starting from scratch each time .. ill bet china nad japan have a whole lot of these probes, in fact i'll bet anytime something new comes out, the SOP in a Chinese plant is to get the good ole probe out and begin pumping widgets !
    (Hope not too many Chinese are reading this , if so , don't take too much offense, I lost my IT job recently to Bangalore India--- )

When you say point cloud and manipulating it .. is that something Mach does or you have to go in manually and have fun line by line ?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

chronon some of the best point cloud software is made in china i wonder why :P hehe Saw the new solidworks2007 going to have point cloud support
    http://files.solidworks.com/News/scanTo3D/scanTo3D.html

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mikegasman
    I use mach3 to run the probe and my machine. The digitizing wizard in mach3 works good
    when probing the writing on the wrench it comes down in the z axes and records the position
    that’s all I’ve done with it so fare it will activate going in the XYZ position.
    Was just sharing what I made with every one who mite want to play with a probe but don’t have the money for it or the time to make a fancy one.
    And I can't tell you how much we appreciate guys like you who share your adventures I would have never thought this was possible to make a probe yourself

thank you

Rob

Downloads
    Uploads

That was a pretty cool demo for SW07 .. I watched about 2/3 of it as I dont have the fastest connection - too bad SW is so over the hill $wise.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hay Chronon1 I made the probe to make some tale light covers for my truck just one of my projects that might get done or maybe not.

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm not sure if I missed thae answer or not, but have the same question:

Does the probe need horizontal switching as well as verticle?

Phil, Still too many interests, too many projects, and not enough time!!!!!!!!
    Vist my websites - http://pminmo.com & http://millpcbs.com

Downloads
    Uploads

hay Phil I like your site

Does the probe need horizontal switching as well as verticle?
    not sheer what you mean but it will activate going in the x and y direction when it hits something
    and when its going down in the z direction.

I can make it’s. it's the explaining that gets me all you know what.

john

Downloads
    Uploads

John,

Nice job on the probe, the machine I run at work has a Renishaw probe on it. It is pretty much what you have made here.

I was curious to know how much a Renishaw probe would cost (I found this on Ebay)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Renishaw-Probe-M...QQcmdZViewItem

So, you know If it cost around $1,000.00 on Ebay. It would cost more If bought new from a Renishaw dealer.

I think this would be a nice addition to any DIY 3-Axis router table.

Good Job!

Jerry

Downloads
    Uploads

John,

I've got a question for you, since you said, you are running this probe with the Mach Control.

Does the Mach Control have a parameter in it to compensate the thickness of the stylus (In the "X" & "Y" direction)?

Example: If the probe is used to find the edge of a workpiece, will "Mach" take the thickness of the stylus and divide that by 2, so that I get the actual edge of the workpiece (and not an offset edge) ?

Thanks,

Jerry

Downloads
    Uploads

Jerry

im no pro at this it’s just a hobby I like making things I looked at the manual for mach it looks like you can do it but I cant tell you how.
    You’d be better off asking in the mach forum.

Sorry john

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast