Maho mill valley needs help

Thread: Maho mill valley needs help

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Maho mill valley needs help

Finally,

After driving a couple thousand adventurous miles across the US picking up Maho's, my Maho Mill Valley is standing and ready to be put to work. Hooked up the first Maho 600C to power after measuring out the right connectors on the transformer to get the 380V. Entered some constants to check if the memory battery is still good. So here is my first task I hope to get help. The memory battery clearly needs to be replaced as the entered constants are gone after a night without power. Any tips where to look for it in the machine?

Also, I have error message I01. Anyone knows error codes for Maho's 600C 700C?

I know, four machines is quite a bit to get going, but fortune favors the bold!

Thanks in advance for any replies!

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Maho mill valley needs help-dsc00307-jpg   Maho mill valley needs help-2012-10-18_15-21-21_882-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Maho mill valley needs help

Heidenhain or Phillips control? On these old Mahos the battery change is normally in the electronics cabinet in a holder with 3-4 batterys regulere side D or C batterys? Just remember to change them with power on the control!!! If you change them without you will wipe the machine parameters, worst case the PLC also. The alarm might just be the because of the MP being cleared

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Greetings with thanks to Norway! I think its a Phillips control, but I don't have any documentation for that machine to verify. To keep the power on I need to bypass the master switch, since it locks the cabinet doors when turned on. Is there any risk for electrical surge damage from the transformer if I bypass the Master Switch on the machine and turn it on and off via the circuit breakers?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Look at the control an tell me if it says CNC 332/432 or 532. Just open the door and turn the rod connected to the main switch breaker by hand or if there is no rod use a isolated screw driver to turn it on, should not be any risk, basic your are doing the same thing as if you flipped the mains

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the tip. I'll bypass or move that master switch as I want to keep the machine close to the wall. If I put a switch right after the transformer and keep the master switch on that should do it too, right?

Found the (dead) battery, a 12AH lead acid battery tugged in a bottom corner of the cabinet. Looks like someone already made a smart modification as the custom battery cable leads to the control console.

On the control panel it says 432.

As for the error message, is it possible that it pertains to the hydraulic fluid. The machine has been standing for a while here and slowly was seeping oil. Could it be just that? Do you know what type of oil is needed and where its filled in?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

It should but if i understand you correct you would run the transformer all the time, that is a saftey hazard, the main switch should cut the main Power to the transformer so it is not ON.

A 12AH battery?! Thats a new one, well if it works i guess it works.

Thats a Phillips control, alarm I01 is that there is no current to the control so either its the battery or you just need to press the ready button

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I turn off the transformer with the circuit breaker after turning the machine off, but put another one in between the transformer and the machine.

The battery that was in is 6V, 12AH is the energy it holds. Its a motorcycle battery I guess. The battery issue turns out a bit funky. After I replaced it with a new 6V battery, the control won't start up properly with the screen all weird. I measured the 3.5V on the battery cable when the machine is turned on. Since it is supposed to charge the battery at that time, it must be a 3V battery it needs and not 6V. The seller told me something is wrong with the screen so that's probably what he messed up because its just fine without battery as you can see in the pic.

Thanks for the tip with the error code, I guess I'll get first the battery issue resolved and all constants entered before moving on to this. Which one in the picture is the ready button ?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Maho mill valley needs help-2015-05-18_15-57-53_222-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The ready button is what I call the hydraulics button next to the E stop button, the start up seaquens is quite unik for these machines.

Press the "ready button" twice - then press the "Clear button" twice that should clear the alarm also

Last edited by Riddersholm; 05-19-2015 at 08:29 AM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

All right, there's progress. I found a flashlight with rechargeable battery and holder. Clipped off the charger cable and connected it to the battery cable. The battery was fully charged and put out 3.9V, still too much. So I let the flashlight going until the battery voltage dropped below the 3.5V. And voala, the memory works fine and all constants are entered. The cable connects to clamp mounted on the backside of the controller housing with a light green and blue cable coming from inside the housing. Looks like a custom modification. I'm pointing with a pencil in the pic on it.

Thanks for the startup tip. Turns out the hydraulic button was sticking. When pushing it I can hear some relays snapping. When I push it together with clear, error message Y01,Y01 appears. After releasing it again the Error message turns to #05,I01. It still stays on the screen with the constants.

I've also noticed in the cabinet on the white row of circuit breakers, the one on the very right has one phase where the breaker doesn't hold. There seems to be also a fuse missing just right to the circuit breakers. Any ideas?

By the way I really love this, getting a couple thousand pounds of humming green steel running with a mysterious guy from the other side of the world appearing and giving hints. Beats any adventure game!!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Maho mill valley needs help-2015-05-19_08-00-23_600-jpg   Maho mill valley needs help-2015-05-19_08-01-14_910-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hehe I don't see my self as a "mysterious guy" but I see what you mean. So your 05 alarm is just that the machine is not ON "Start up sequent" your Y01. Y01 means you have a problem on your Y axis measuring system, that would mean the Y axis glass scale. This is useually just dirty in the scale and a simple clean will do, it should not cause a 05 alarm? Try pressing ready button once and then press ready button and clear button in at the same time for between 5-10 seconds and see if it clears the alarm. I am glad that the battery thing worked out for you.

Regarding the Fuse and circuit breaker are they marked? And are the wires going to it marked? And also do you have the electric manual?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

After trying repeatedly unsuccessful the button start up sequence, I started looking for the glass scale. I was always eager to explore those marvels of precision measurement devices. How do I get to it (them) and is there anything I should be careful about not to cause any inadvertent damage to them? I can imagine them being quite sensitive.

I've also skimmed through about a foot high stack of Maho documentation and found some wiring schematics. I will check them in more detail once I resolve the Y-axis issue. Inching forward thanks to your help!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi
    The correct battery for the Phillips -9 control (the control in the picture) is a 6 volt gel cell. The -9 control had the battery in the power supply. I'm not sure what setup you have now but you can be sure battery problems can make those con r old do strange stuff. You should check the voltages that the power supply is putting out with the battery disconnected. You have to pull the keyboard off to check the voltages. The checkout points are on the left side. The 5 vcc is critical as is the +12 -12 . Look at the back of the Power supply there's a jumper there so the battery gets charged. I'll have to look at one of my spare s to be sure. I'll send you a picture and a picture of the exact battery.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Riddersholm, cncmm,

Thanks for all your input, I greatly appreciate it. I finally caught up with it. I got to the Y-scale and it definitely needed cleaning, but it did not remove the error message. I also measured the voltages on the power supply board beneath the keyboard and they are all within +/- 5%, so that should be fine too. The voltage on the memory battery connectors is 3.5V when the machine is on and the battery removed. The memory works just fine holding all the constants.

All right, here's an update and new question: While pushing the ready button, error indicator displays "36", which according to the schematic (see pic) means either a problem with a Temperature sensor on an Axis Motor or with the 24V?

While keeping the ready button down I could measure 25.7V between terminal 302 and 324. I've noticed also a very faint snaring sound on the Y-axis motor that gets louder the longer the ready button is held down. I measured again on the NC controller power supply and do get the 24V, that do not flicker a bit between pushing the ready button and releasing it. Since the Y01 error message shows up on the monitor, my best guess right now is that there is something going on with the Y-axis motor. Any opinions out there?

By the way, I found three switches in the upper right corner of the control board. The top is to apply/release the Y-axis brake, the second one is for the machine constants memory and the third one for check run. Any ideas what those are good for?.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Maho mill valley needs help-maho600c-tempcontroldetail-jpg   Maho mill valley needs help-2015-05-26_11-14-47_224-jpg   Maho mill valley needs help-2015-05-26_11-26-54_469-jpg   Maho mill valley needs help-2015-05-26_11-14-05_291-jpg  

Last edited by tillxplus; 05-26-2015 at 07:12 PM. Reason: update

Quote Originally Posted by tillxplus View Post
    Hi Riddersholm, cncmm,

Thanks for all your input, I greatly appreciate it. I finally caught up with it. I got to the Y-scale and it definitely needed cleaning, but it did not remove the error message. I also measured the voltages on the power supply board beneath the keyboard and they are all within +/- 5%, so that should be fine too. The voltage on the memory battery connectors is 3.5V when the machine is on and the battery removed. The memory works just fine holding all the constants.

All right, here's an update and new question: While pushing the ready button, error indicator displays "36", which according to the schematic (see pic) means either a problem with a Temperature sensor on an Axis Motor or with the 24V?

While keeping the ready button down I could measure 25.7V between terminal 302 and 324. I've noticed also a very faint snaring sound on the Y-axis motor that gets louder the longer the ready button is held down. I measured again on the NC controller power supply and do get the 24V, that do not flicker a bit between pushing the ready button and releasing it. Since the Y01 error message shows up on the monitor, my best guess right now is that there is something going on with the Y-axis motor. Any opinions out there?

By the way, I found three switches in the upper right corner of the control board. The top is to apply/release the Y-axis brake, the second one is for the machine constants memory and the third one for check run. Any ideas what those are good for?.
    Hello. did you manage to get rid of error #05 ?