Doosan Puma 240 - Fan running even with Controller Off

Thread: Doosan Puma 240 - Fan running even with Controller Off

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Doosan Puma 240 - Fan running even with Controller Off

Good Day,

We have recently inherited a Puma from one of our other machine shops. I’ve noticed that a fairly noisy fan runs anytime the power switch on the back of the machine is turned on, even if the controller is not turned on. The fan running is the large one right near the floor on the left side (looking at door) inside the enclosure. Since we are in a quieter prototyping shop with a lot of programming and other concentration related tasks going on, it would be nice if we could stop the machine from having the fan run all the time. The turret servo is a bit forgetful if we turn off the main power switch on the back so I'd rather not have to recover the turret every time we've turned on the machine after the rear power switch has been shut off.

The machine is a Puma 240 serial PM243875. Any settings we can change so the fan comes on only when the spindle is actually being used, or even only when the controller is turned on?

Thanks,
    Mike

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Doosan Puma 240 - Fan running even with Controller Off

Hi Mike
    Re the fan either fit an outside switch on the wire to the fan or alternatively get a new one they are about £30 from RS Components over here
    Re the turret I believe it has a small amplifier in the electrical cabinet that has a back up battery on it change the battery and end of problem

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Mike8500 View Post
    Good Day,

...The fan running is the large one right near the floor on the left side (looking at door) inside the enclosure...
    ...The turret servo is a bit forgetful if we turn off the main power switch...

...Any settings we can change so the fan comes on only when the spindle is actually being used, or even only when the controller is turned on?

Thanks,
    Mike
    Solution 1: fans get old and wear out. New ones make less noise. Replace it. (or at least clean the crap from the dirty air, off of its blades so it rides balanced on its bearings)

Issue: Get a new battery for the Vision/ProMotion drive and you will eliminate memory loss ALP-EN at power off. (replace them ever year, as any time without machine being powered on makes the battery work harder)

If you really want to see if there is a way to make it not function properly because a battery and a fan are not in the budget, risking the operation and quality of the entire machine... Then what is the Ladder version? (...so I can see if "trying to kill it" is a programmable choice.)

No longer with Doosan Machine Tools America
    darrylhardt@gmail.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by dhardt View Post
    Solution 1: fans get old and wear out. New ones make less noise. Replace it. (or at least clean the crap from the dirty air, off of its blades so it rides balanced on its bearings)

Issue: Get a new battery for the Vision/ProMotion drive and you will eliminate memory loss ALP-EN at power off. (replace them ever year, as any time without machine being powered on makes the battery work harder)

If you really want to see if there is a way to make it not function properly because a battery and a fan are not in the budget, risking the operation and quality of the entire machine... Then what is the Ladder version? (...so I can see if "trying to kill it" is a programmable choice.)
    So the fan is not worn out, it is just a high flow, noisy fan. I have cleaned the mesh screen in front of it, which helped marginally, but not to the level I'm looking for. The battery has been replaced and is not the issue, there appears to be a problem with the turret servo or controller itself, which is quite expensive to replace. I've been quoted about 5k to "attempt" to fix it (the Machine Tech was already here trying to fix it with a new battery and other ways before.) They "think" it needs a new servo. The machine seems to work just fine if the main rear power switch is not shut off, but like I said before, this isn't a production shop, and it would be great if we could leave the power on without having the fan going full tilt when the controller is not even turned on. (There is a folter mist extractor that only fires up when the controller is turned on, it would be great if it could work the same way as that.)

Electrical ladder book says: PM24S68BB04, PM24BB4. PMC COntrol program Series: 406G Edition: 17
    I'm assuming that's the ladder version, I don't see it anywhere on screen when I view the ladder page.

I understand the risk of changing it from factory specs, I think we can both agree that cooling the spindle drive is not really a concern when the controller isn't even turned on. I'm not suggesting to disable it, just to change the timing of when it is switched on, if possible.

Cheers,
    Mike

Downloads
    Uploads

I have some confusion here.
    The fan running is the large one right near the floor on the left side (looking at door) inside the enclosure
    Mike
    This description would make the fan belong to EV11 (see attached) that is the heat exchanger for the ELECTRICAL ENCLOSURE. If the temperature of the air inside is hot it will allow undesired results with the electrical circuitry

I think we can both agree that cooling the spindle drive is not really a concern when the controller isn't even turned on,
    Mike
    We have an ILRIM cooled oil spindle chiller on some of the units (see attached) It only turns on when the spindle is running. (Y7.5)
    We have a Spindle Motor Fan for airflow across the motor, it only turns on when temperature requires. (Y7.4) The fan is on the spindle motor.

We do not have an external fan of any type for the SINDLE DRIVE, Fanuc does, but it is located against cooling fins, on the back of the drive, between the backside of the electrical cabinet and the backside of the machine.

Attached Files Attached Files
    No longer with Doosan Machine Tools America
    darrylhardt@gmail.com