Bought a Lynx, rigidity is a challenge right now.

Thread: Bought a Lynx, rigidity is a challenge right now.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Bought a Lynx, rigidity is a challenge right now.

I have a Lynx 220 LSYC bought to replace a Yama Seiki GLS 2000 LYS that I sold for a lot less than the lynx cost. The Lynx has a 3/4" holder package. Parting finishes are really sucking right now, grooving tools are screaming pretty good. It seems like it's not as rigid as the Yama Seiki. The Yama seiki is looking better now.

I have a Puma 2100 SY II getting delivered tomorrow I think (that's what the sales guy said), and I'm sure it will be more rigid, but that Lynx is really disappointing- 3mm Parting finishes look torn with a Iscar Penta D40 coolant through holder and 1000PSI coolant, I have to use a 3/4" shank tool because Doosan didn't provide any 1" pockets. The most ideal pocket in the package is a 2 set screw pocket- not a wedge type pocket, (left approach) so I'm losing some rigidity to the holder style. The machine doesn't have enough travel to use a right hand approach wedge holder and reach the sub chuck- I hit overtravel soft before that happens (run out of travel), so I have to hang the 3/4" parting holder out to get over the subchuck. I'm hitting 150% spindle load during G96 parting. That seems a little alarming. If I used the wedge type I would have to hang out the tool even more and I think that would really murder the settup condition. I literally have 1" parting tools I could use but I don't have a pocket for them so I'm eating **** here.

I'm having trouble doing normal work in the Lynx. It seems like this machine is danger close to falling into the category of machines that can't be used to make money. I have a Hurco VM10U in that category, and that's a terrible category for a machine to be in. At that point you bought it to learn the machine sucks and you may have to sell it for a loss.

I don't know if a toolholder would solve this or if this is just the bastard child of the Doosan lineup or what.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Bought a Lynx, rigidity is a challenge right now.

We worked this out, the solution was to run a profile cut on all the jaws we ever put in the machine. This way we can run the stick parting tool .800" closer to the holder, and get the rigidity we need. It seems the parting holder for the package could be tremendously improved by making it left spindle side, with the 3/4" pocket coincident the right sub side of the tool, making it wedge type for better rigidity, and taking the coolant ball step and cutting that flat to the base of the holder. At that point the Lynx would be like every other CNC turning machine we have in that regard- not requiring a jaw turn for a rigid parting settup and operation to occur.

We put the 3mm groove tool into a half index holder so we could shorten it up, and that got it cutting ok.

The Lynx could also drastically benefit from a recessed pocket for long drills, and a 6" sub chuck. Our 2100SYII has such a pocket but it is only 3" deep and should be more like 6" deep for optimal versatility. We outfitted our Lynx with a 6" subchuck- we've found those to close jaws much more perpendicular (not angular like the ****ty hobby 5" B205 chuck which doesn't belong in industry CNC machine). With those 3 changes, and some puma like clearance on the sub side of the turret for a conventional main/sub reversible live tool without 2 different style tools required, the Lynx could really deliver all the value Doosan markets it as having.

The first settup on this machine was 12 days, probably half of that was employee under-performance and the other half was relocating the part basket and chute, and figuring out how to get parting tools over a BB206 chuck and cut rigid. Figuring out the C axis brake can only be adjusted manually in the low clamp mode, and that it needs to be between 5 and 7.5 bar pressure to work properly was another development. We also had to plumb a braided line between two holes on the half index holder to get upper coolant to work in a half index mode. We're using Y axis turning and some crazier holders and that had a learning curve. The TT has an A axis, and the Lynx and 2100 a B, Also spindle address commands are different- that's confusing unneccessarily- that axis and those spindles have the same function and those values should be the same. Lots of little quirks in the Lynx. I think the Puma will be easy to work with compared.

Downloads
    Uploads

We always profiled the chuck jaws on the showroom machines. It gives quite a bit of clearance.

Downloads
    Uploads

It's nice not to have to do it. On the 5" chuck I don't think I would have to, but the 5" chuck is not good for a lot of parts so we need a 6" or the machine would just be completely undesirable. The jaw profile is an 8 minute operation, that can't be done with a Y turning tool, so in our case we will have to remove a tool, add a special OD tool in a single tool pocket, teach that tool an offset, run the jaw turn, and then re-mount the pocket and reteach the original offset of that pocket. That's probably 30 minutes on a settup- an hour if the guy isn't motivated.

If they had a 1" stick tool pocket optimized for parting in the package, or market available, then we could probably get over the chuck without profiling jaws. I guess its part pro, part con, when you profile jaws you increase clearance for the tools, but when you don't need to do it, it's extra time.

The Lynx is running pretty good on the first job, It was expensive to tool it up, and time consuming to get it settup in a clearance compatible fashion, but it's beginning to be a likeable machine. I wouldn't call it a starter machine, I think the 2100SY II will be a lot more operator friendly for shops that are learning- there aren't special 90 degree tools, or small clearances in the 2100SYII.

The Puma 2100 SY II is kind of crazy looking on the floor. It's not bigger in floor footprint, but it's almost like they gave it a higher posture to impress people or something, we've got a 5.5foot tall settup guy looking up at the control, and the machine seems to be perched like it's on a lift kit. I'm 6'2" staring eye level with the control but it is noticeably tall. You'd need a step ladder in order to climb into the machine cabinet for maintenance. The machine casting around the main spindle is pretty big. The middle casting in back has tunnels and reminds me of a cave. It's really got some room inside the casting. The turret looks bigger than a TT1800SY turret somehow. I'm a little excited to see how the 2100SY II cuts. It took us 3 years of following the 2100SY II to have a need and a price that made sense to buy it at.

Downloads
    Uploads

Yeah. I'm only 5'8" and I was always "looking up" at it too.
    I had an OD tool all by itself and I had a cycle set up to whittle the jaws down.

Y-axis parting from Sandvik will let you “reach” between the main and sub.
    I use Royal qc65 collet noses so might not have to reach as far as you but I part with just enough space between m/s to fit a .125 blade
    Forces are directed up the blade into the turret.
    Part off steel at F0.012 and Alum at F0.018 all day

Downloads
    Uploads

I've used that tool and it works remarkably well.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by DouglasR View Post
    I've used that tool and it works remarkably well.
    We got a tool settup to fix parting- it isn’t a wedge type just set screws, and it is very sensitive to parting stick out. If the tool insert corner chips or something it will kick the tool a couple degrees so it has to be reset up to part nice again. It is working. We are using the iscar pentacut d40 with the hexagonal 5 corner insert. It parts at .0045/rev. The sandvik y parting tool sounds interesting but I think it is not 3mm, maybe its 4 or 5? So you use more material and its a blade type. We have had bad luck with blade type holders granted mostly from when we retracted before sending the sub home. They tend to allow inserts to be pulled out. We mostly send it home now.

We get like 30 minute life in 17-4 stainless. I don’t know the economy or life of the sandvik system.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by kart17wins View Post
    Y-axis parting from Sandvik will let you “reach” between the main and sub.
    I use Royal qc65 collet noses so might not have to reach as far as you but I part with just enough space between m/s to fit a .125 blade
    Forces are directed up the blade into the turret.
    Part off steel at F0.012 and Alum at F0.018 all day

I didn’t know they had them in 3mm. That would be more interesting.

What’s the insert cost and your estimated life, feed, sfm in stainless? Are you parting g97 or g96 css? Also interesting would be whether fanuc is handling y axis like x is handles in diameter. If thats .012 linear, its 6 times the feed of .004 in x diameter which is actually cutting.002 per side per revolution where I think y is a real .012 per side, traveling at .024 relevant to the diameter.

Our life number on iscar is fanuc life minutes at 360sfm, .0045 feed down to .600 diameter, .004 to .400, .0035 to .250, .003 to .180,.0019 to -.02. We cap the g50 limiter at s2850, and shut off the spindle using m315p11; m05p13; m205p11 which at least on puma single turrets saves like 4 seconds. I have 4 2100sy IIs and only the one lynx so i cant say for sure it works in lynx.

The phase sync spindle won’t get up past s2850 before the tool gets to zero- if you are parting at .012 in g96 it probably slows your feed down trying to catch up.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi!

I'm buying new machine, its time to sell old INDEX GU600 1987 and buy new Doosan. I have Doosan DNM5700, 2 years and i really love it.

In my options are:

LYNX 2100LYSB

and

PUMA 2100LYSii

With siemens 828, automatic tool preseter, tool loading monitor, ethernet, part catcher etc..

We work with Solidcam and i will buy postprocesor and machine simulation, to make programes more safe.

I REALLY LIKE THE PUMA, but its around 35-40k€ more money!

What do you thing? We are turning from bars 8-65mm, and single parts up to 250-300mm.

Downloads
    Uploads

This is what we use . Its a dedicated Parting Blade Holder designed to fit around the Lynx Sub Spindle and holds standard 26mm blades . WTO make this one. Nice and rigid.
    Bought a Lynx, rigidity is a challenge right now.-wto-jpg

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bought a Lynx, rigidity is a challenge right now.-wto-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Price?

Downloads
    Uploads

Contact your local WTO representative . Its approx £700 list .
    Quote Originally Posted by Greegor View Post
    Price?