Puma 2000SY Turret cover removal

Thread: Puma 2000SY Turret cover removal

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Puma 2000SY Turret cover removal

I am new to a shop with a well used Puma 2000SY. One of the issues is the driven tool mechanics making a lot of noise.

I am new to Doosan machines and wanted to ask a question before diving in. My plan is to remove the turret cover so I can inspect (and possibly remove) the tool drive. I don't have the service manual, just the parts manual. When I took the screws out - the cover plate does not want to come off. My best guess is that it is stuck and just needs a convincing hand - but I don't want to damage anything. The parts manual does not show anything out of the ordinary. Perhaps the O-rings are stuck?

Any advice is appreciated.

Puma 2000SY Turret cover removal-2000sy_turret-jpg

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Puma 2000SY Turret cover removal

Is the noise there when you have no driven tool on station ?
    Is the noise on other driven tools ?
    ... also test by running in reverse

Sometimes the bearings/gears in driven tools stuff up.... they are usually the 1st to go.

Downloads
    Uploads

What is the Serial Number?
    What is the Part Number of the Parts book you are using? (An alphanumeric code on the corner of the cover that has the letters PLE or PCOM in the middle of the code.)

No longer with Doosan Machine Tools America
    darrylhardt@gmail.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The internal drive sounds good when running free. Each of the driven tools sound and feel good when externally driven. When one is engaged on the turret, it makes a clacking sound and there is quite a bit of free backlash which I believe is in the coupling. Visually it looks like the drive shaft dogs are worn/damaged, but it is hard to tell for sure just visually looking down the bore with a flashlight. It will likely be more obvious if I am able to pull the cover for a closer inspection.

The parts book does not have the ID those codes as far as I can tell. m/c: 706 user: DIA m/c spec: 18iTB is all I see.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Machine serial number is P200SY0706

Downloads
    Uploads

Item 0270 (Qty: 6) holds the coolant cap (Item 0250)
    Item 0160 (Qty: 6) holds the Location Disk.

The minimal friction from Items 0140 and 0120 should not be enough to inhibit the location disk from being removed.

When the lowest point on the turret has an open hole, does any coolant or oil run out the hole? (remove a tool and do not cap it, then move that open hole to the downward position)

Attached Files Attached Files
    darrylhardt@gmail.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by rx8pilot View Post
    The internal drive sounds good when running free. Each of the driven tools sound and feel good when externally driven. When one is engaged on the turret, it makes a clacking sound and there is quite a bit of free backlash which I believe is in the coupling. Visually it looks like the drive shaft dogs are worn/damaged, but it is hard to tell for sure just visually looking down the bore with a flashlight. It will likely be more obvious if I am able to pull the cover for a closer inspection.

The parts book does not have the ID those codes as far as I can tell. m/c: 706 user: DIA m/c spec: 18iTB is all I see.

The issue is likely a crash that has thrown the center of the hole in the tool post out of alignment with the stationary position of the live tool motor.
    Every time the live tool motor turns ...It tries to "flip" the tool's tang around in a different co-axial rotation.

This unit has a rear-mount live tool system, like the Puma 240.
    Attached is the service manual for a P240. Use the procedures (but not the part numbers) to check the alignment of the turret to the machine (do this first) and then the alignment of the live tool to the tool post's hole.

Start with checking the turret symmetry starting on page 49.

Attached Files Attached Files
    darrylhardt@gmail.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

That information is amazing level: 11
    Really appreciated. Going through the documentation now to get a feel for what I am in for.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by rx8pilot View Post
    That information is amazing level: 11
    Really appreciated. Going through the documentation now to get a feel for what I am in for.

0.0001" Indicators will get you through the tool post alignment to X-Bed (first check) and spindle center (final check)
    It will make it possible to align the live tooling to its "three needed correct locations", but the fixing tool mentioned in the instructions allows for all three positions to be measured/set quickly (There is no write-up for this process as very few people have the fixing tool needed. Call me if you wish to discuss. My numbers are in the footer of every post I've made.)

darrylhardt@gmail.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I still was unable to remove the cover plate. It moves slightly, but does not want to come off. Some rusty fluid with water like viscosity leaked out..... making me worry about the condition of the inside.

Tomorrow, I am doing some electrical repairs that should allow me to power up and make some progress.

Downloads
    Uploads

If you are finding tension holding the location disk in place after removing 0270 (6), 0250, 0160 (6)…
    Use the holes in 0110 from where the 6: 0270 SHCS came out to “gently slide hammer” item 0110 off.

(Some other versions had jacking screws, but the drawing of 0110’s part: L61523021C does not show any threads for jacking.

darrylhardt@gmail.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by dhardt View Post
    If you are finding tension holding the location disk in place after removing 0270 (6), 0250, 0160 (6)…
    Use the holes in 0110 from where the 6: 0270 SHCS came out to “gently slide hammer” item 0110 off.

(Some other versions had jacking screws, but the drawing of 0110’s part: L61523021C does not show any threads for jacking.
    Well.....I finally got this cover off without damage. The slide hammer technique did not work, but it did lead me to the final solution. I ended up rigging a make-shift puller which was enough to get it to release. This turret had a couple of broken o-rings so there was a lot of coolant and rusty muck.
    Moving on to the next stage - evaluating the live drive module.

Thank you for the assistance and exploded views! Really fantastic help.