Vectric's new Cut2D - Page 4

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Vectric's new Cut2D

Downloads
    Uploads

Can you add a rectangular vector a little bigger than your part, then select that and your shape, and cut a pocket around your island?

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

I can do that, sort of, but it overlooks the area I want to be the island and mills the entire block down.

So it does no good to select the outer rectangle and the shape.

I can easily leave the island by selecting the island vector and making an outside profile but then it's only one tool diameter wide and the rest of the block is still remaning. ???

Downloads
    Uploads

I stand corrected !

I must have done something wrong with all my attempts. I closed the program and started over and did as you said and it did work, thank you very much for your help.

This software is great !

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Steve,
    Glad to see you got is figured out. Maybe you could post some pics of the work when done? It's good to see what everyone is working on!
    Regards,

Regards,
    Wes

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Wes,

I'll do it. My main project is making a two part mold that will be used with a plastic injection machine I've built. Which is why it was important for me to use CUT2D to leave "islands" on the male half of the mold.

BTW, I will be using aluminum for the molds, I don't know if my Grizzly G8689 (X2) can handle doing it out of steel.

Thanks for the help guys, looks like C2D is going to work great for my projects.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

on vcarve pro...
    make a circle around the object.
    select the circle and the object, choose pocket and it will do what you want.
    dont want a border ? make the circle/square bigger than the wood
    dan
    duh, a day late...
    sorry browser didnt show the other replies

Downloads
    Uploads

The more I use Cut2D the more I like it !

Got another question though...

If I don't edit the G-code (Cut2D produces) in Mach3 and remove the contents of line N6 (spindle speed M03) then Mach3 will lock up and close.

If I remove the contents of line N6 it runs perfect.

What's the solution to this ? I tried putting zero and nothing in the tool selection under spindle speed and it won't accept it.

I thank the developer(s) of Cut2D and hope to eventually upgrade to VCarve Pro at some point.

Steve

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Steve,
    Does the line you speek of look similar to this one?
    N60S3500M03
    On my machine this line controls the spindle speed and direction of rotation. What machine are you using it on? Does the program start your spindle or do you just turn it on and then start the program? Have you checked the spindle pulley setup in Mach3? Maybe the spindle speed settings for your machine in Mach3 does not fall within the same range as what Cut2d is putting on line N60 so Mach errors?
    Config tab, Spindle pulleys, select the appropriate pulley that matches the spindle speeds of your machine and then click OK. If the settings are within what Cut2D is posting I am lost for a solution besides editing the line out of the program. There is probably a way to edit the post processor to remove the speed/rotation line but I don't know how to edit the post processor. Hope something here helps you out.
    Regards,

Regards,
    Wes

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Steve,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you on this question.

Please email - support [ at ] vectric (dot) com and we'll modify the postp to remove this line of code when you save toolpaths.

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by SScnc View Post
    The more I use Cut2D the more I like it !

Got another question though...

If I don't edit the G-code (Cut2D produces) in Mach3 and remove the contents of line N6 (spindle speed M03) then Mach3 will lock up and close.

If I remove the contents of line N6 it runs perfect.

What's the solution to this ? I tried putting zero and nothing in the tool selection under spindle speed and it won't accept it.

I thank the developer(s) of Cut2D and hope to eventually upgrade to VCarve Pro at some point.

Steve

Downloads
    Uploads

It shouldn't cause mach3 to lock up, though. Something's wrong with your mach3 install. You might want to try reinstalling mach3.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by metalworkz View Post
    Hi Steve,
    Does the line you speek of look similar to this one?
    N60S3500M03
    On my machine this line controls the spindle speed and direction of rotation. What machine are you using it on? Does the program start your spindle or do you just turn it on and then start the program? Have you checked the spindle pulley setup in Mach3? Maybe the spindle speed settings for your machine in Mach3 does not fall within the same range as what Cut2d is putting on line N60 so Mach errors?
    Config tab, Spindle pulleys, select the appropriate pulley that matches the spindle speeds of your machine and then click OK. If the settings are within what Cut2D is posting I am lost for a solution besides editing the line out of the program. There is probably a way to edit the post processor to remove the speed/rotation line but I don't know how to edit the post processor. Hope something here helps you out.
    Regards,
    Hi Wes,

I think that's exactly what that line looks like except with what RPM I've chosen of course. My machine is a Griz G8689 (X2) and I just turn it on and off manually.

I'll have a look around in Mach3 as you suggest, I never looked at any of those settings since my spindle isn't controlled by the SW.

Thanks for your reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Mac View Post
    Hi Steve,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you on this question.

Please email - support [ at ] vectric (dot) com and we'll modify the postp to remove this line of code when you save toolpaths.

Tony
    Hi Tony,

No need to be sorry, that's a fast reply.
    I'll send a email to support.

I appreciate the help,

Steve

EDIT: ger, you posted while I was typing. I'll try that if needed. Thanks for your help.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,
    Just bought Cut 2D, I think it will be just the ticket for me.
    I am going to use it with my Taig micro mill.
    Is it possible to make a island in the pockets? How would this be done?
    Thanks for the input,
    Jon

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Jon,
    Yes you should be able to make an island in the pockets. Just draw the shape you want at the location in the pocket and then select the pocket outside perimeter vector and the vector for the perimeter of the island and use the pocket option to create the toolpath to clear the pocket. For 2D work I think you will find Cut2D is very good and when the time comes that you need more options you will also find that VCarvePro will probably provide them also. Good luck with your projects! By the way the Vectric website has a very good forum to exchange ideas and questions, and is very informative.
    Best regards,

Regards,
    Wes

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Jon,

To machine an island simply select an outer vector - you may need to draw a rectangle - plus the vector(s) you want to leave raised as the island. Select the Pocket Toolpath strategy and Cut2D will machine between the outermost selection (ie the rectangle) and the inner vectors as shown in the images below.

Cut2D automatically compensates for the cutter diameter, by offsetting the toolpath to ensure the job is machined to the correct size. If the cutter was alowed to actually run / cut 'on' the selected vector lines the actual part off the machine would be overcut / undersize by the radius of the cutter.

I hope this makes sense and helps,

Tony

PS Wes just got in before me

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vectric's new Cut2D-2d_view_offset-jpg   Vectric's new Cut2D-2d_view_raster-jpg   Vectric's new Cut2D-3d_view-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Wes and Tony. That was a big duh... What I was doing was trying to select each vector separately, instead of picking it with the window.
    This program works great! I haven't milled anything yet, but I have ran the Gcode on Mach3, about 4,000 lines, flawless so far... What I am doing is trying to cut a raised stamp, to use for hot stamping gold on a leather concertina bellow. I drew pockets around all the raised areas, so that worked out fine. I will be cutting out of delrin, with a .5 mm end mill.
    I will post some photos when I get it cut out.
    Once I found out which version of DXF that it would take from AutoCad, I used Release-12, all the newer ones wouldn't open...
    Thanks again!
    Jon

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Jon,
    You can select vectors by holding the shift key down and selecting them with the cursor and a left click also. The vectors you select while the shift key is depressed will be highlighted so you will be able to see what has been selected. I find it easier most times to select the vectors this way. It is very easy to include unwanted vectors when selecting with the selection box for me. We will be anxiously waiting to see some of the work you do with Cut2D!
    Regards,

Regards,
    Wes

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Here is my first project with Cut2D. This will be a stamp for hot stamping 24k gold leaf on leather. The designis cut in carving wax, then I will use the Lost wax process to cast it in bronze.
    It was cut with a .010 profile tool on a Taig Micro mill, with, good old
    Mach 3 at the steering wheel.

Cheers,
    Jon

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Jon,
    Wow, that turned out very good! It looks like a very impressive first project with Cut2D. I will be waiting to see follow up pictures of your work and the information you post about it. Thanks for posting the info and picture.
    Regards,

Regards,
    Wes

Downloads
    Uploads

Jon,

Great work!

I suspect that this is not for a belt....some kind of strap?

Why the hot stamp....does that eliminate the use of some type of sizing to hold the gold leaf?

Sure would like to see some samples.

Thanks,
    Paul

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ViperTX View Post
    Jon,

Great work!

I suspect that this is not for a belt....some kind of strap?

Why the hot stamp....does that eliminate the use of some type of sizing to hold the gold leaf?

Sure would like to see some samples.

Thanks,
    Paul
    Hi,
    The hot stamp is for a antique English concertina bellow, that I am restoring. The way it works, you heat up the stamp then press it into the leather, this bonds the gold to the leather.Hopefully the only gold will be bonded in the design... What is usually used, is a gold that is adhered to mylar, called gold foil. This has a heat activated adhesive built in. That is how they put the gold tooling on the bibles and books. I will probably use 24k gold leaf, with the traditional egg white adhisive. (egg white, water and a pinch of sugar and a pinch of salt...)
    When I cast the stamp, and hot stamp it, I will post another photo.
    Right now I am drawing a replacement Reed pan for another concertina, I will post that when I get a chance.
    Jon

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast