Vectric's new Cut2D - Page 3

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Vectric's new Cut2D

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Tony I have a question. I have Photo V-carve and use it extensivley as well as 3d machinist. Are you able to import either of these toolpaths into a design in Cut2D the same way you can with V-Carve Pro? I have always been planning on buying V-carve anyway but the price of cut2d is just so appealing for the features that I would actually use. I looked at the comparison on the web site and couldnt find anything related to this so I am assuming not.
    Thanks, Ryan

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Ryan,

Cut2D will import the toolpath files from both Cut3D and PhotoVCarve and allows the toolpaths to be positioned, previewed and saved in the same way that VCarve Pro does.

Thanks for the feedback about the web site and we must get this added to the feature list.

I hope this helps,

Tony

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Wow that was quick. While you were typing that I was looking at the site again and I did find refrence to this feature.. in bold letters actually Either it was there all along or you guys made the changes to the site that quick.
    Anyway, awesome product. At that price I'm sure it will be a hit. I will be buying it, and possibly upgrading to vcarve if I ever get to the point that I need more features.
    Thanks, Ryan

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Finished!

Jeff Arnett (Wood Time Inc) has recently completed his new clock design
    using Cut2D to machine the individual parts. And below are a few more pics
    of the parts ready for assembly and the finished master piece.

Great work Jeff!!

Tony

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vectric's new Cut2D-parts-jpg   Vectric's new Cut2D-slice_of_time_in_walnut_and_maple-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

I've been trying out Cut 2D and really like it, I'm about ready to buy it but have a question.

Although I will mostly be using this and Mach3 for making metal parts on my X2, does Cut 2D work for isolation routing and drilling PCB's ?

I'm tired of the ferric chloride method for one off prototypes.

Thanks,

Steve

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by SScnc View Post
    I've been trying out Cut 2D and really like it, I'm about ready to buy it but have a question.

Although I will mostly be using this and Mach3 for making metal parts on my X2, does Cut 2D work for isolation routing and drilling PCB's ?

I'm tired of the ferric chloride method for one off prototypes.

Thanks,

Steve
    Hi Steve,
    I have no experience with isolation routing or drilling PCB's but my guess is that if it entails 2D machining Cut2D will do it and do it well. I am using Cut2D with my X3 and it has done everything I have tried with ease and dependability. Hopefully someone with that particular experience will reply.

Regards,
    Wes

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'd suggest using Eagle (a free version is available) to layout the PCB. A free ULP (user language program) is available that will generate gcode to do exactly what you want. Here's there web site:

www.cadsoftusa.com

There is also a Yahoo group dedicated to this:

groups.yahoo.com/group/pcb-gcode

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks metalworkz, I've seen some of your work and very impressed. I appreciate your opinion.

Rgoldner, Thanks for that info. I've been using PCB Wizard pro and like it allot and it will export CAM data, just not sure about using it to do this yet. I'll try exporting to Cut 2D later tonight and see what it can do.

I know about Eagle but didn't know about the free version, I'll check it out and see how it compairs to PCB Wiz Pro.

Thanks allot,

Steve

Downloads
    Uploads

I find it odd that Cut2D doesn't seem to allow the user to thru-cut on an inner shape. For example on the connecting rod tutorial from Vectrics website, the bore holes for the crankshaft and gudgeon pin. Why spend the time and wear out the bit pocket machining the entire area of the bore holes when all you want to do is cut all the way through along the circumference? Is this going to be addressed soon and if so, will the program also support leaving tabs on those inner waste areas?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by CanSir View Post
    I find it odd that Cut2D doesn't seem to allow the user to thru-cut on an inner shape. For example on the connecting rod tutorial from Vectrics website, the bore holes for the crankshaft and gudgeon pin. Why spend the time and wear out the bit pocket machining the entire area of the bore holes when all you want to do is cut all the way through along the circumference? Is this going to be addressed soon and if so, will the program also support leaving tabs on those inner waste areas?
    Hello,
    The Cut2D program will let you thru-cut and it already has interactive tabs incorporated into it. I have not viewed the tutorial you speak of, but I have done parts with cutouts and instead of using the pocket routine just use the profile option and you can drop the tabs where you would like them to be. The program will warn you that unless you are using a sacrificial plate etc. the operation could damage the work table by thru cutting at a depth greater than the material thickness, but it lets you choose to click OK and proceed or cancel the operation. If you have not done so already they have a functional demo available to try and you can test drive it. Check it out!

Regards,

Regards,
    Wes

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by metalworkz View Post
    Hello,
    The Cut2D program will let you thru-cut and it already has interactive tabs incorporated into it. I have not viewed the tutorial you speak of, but I have done parts with cutouts and instead of using the pocket routine just use the profile option and you can drop the tabs where you would like them to be. The program will warn you that unless you are using a sacrificial plate etc. the operation could damage the work table by thru cutting at a depth greater than the material thickness, but it lets you choose to click OK and proceed or cancel the operation. If you have not done so already they have a functional demo available to try and you can test drive it. Check it out!

Regards,
    Thanks metalworkz! I'm in the opposite situation as you. I've looked at the tutorials, but I haven't run the application. I wonder if the tutorial was written for an earlier version of the software because I can't see why they would pocket the bore holes instead of profile cutting them. The tutorial already had a realistic example of why and how to use the pocket option. The clock gear tutorial did the same thing if I recall correctly.

Well, it looks like I've run out of reasons not to buy Cut2D now. I'm going to immediately start saving for the VCarve upgrade though too.
    :rainfro:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have been using Cut2D for awhile now and find it extremely user friendly. However. I have one question. While doing a profile is it possible to specify a starting point for the tool?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Etced,

Glad to hear Cut2D is working well for you.

Yes - the Start Point can be controlled using the Node Editing Tools to set the Start Node.

Select the vector to Profile and press N to start Node Editing mode

The Start Node is drawn in Green

Place the cursor over the Node that you wish the cutter to start / plunge at
    Click Right mouse button and select > Make Start Point

The Profile machining will no start at this point on the vector

The Node Editing Tools can also be used to Insert / Delete, Smooth / Unsmooth Nodes and also convert spans to and from Arcs / Lines / Bezier Curves.

I hope this makes sense and helps.

Tony

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Tony,

Thanks for the fast reply. Works great.

Ed

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

If I've already got VCarve Pro 4.6, do I need Cut2D for anything? Or will VCarve Pro 4.6 do everything Cut2D can do?
    I want to support Vetric- the best software I've used. handles everything I've had to do so far, with PhotoVcarve, Cut3D, and Vcarve Pro. I intend to keep my software up to date - need to talk to Tony ( hey Tony! ) about a Lifetime Subscription Plan!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Ed,

You are spot on - VCarve Pro does everything in Cut2D + all the other stuff, so no need to get Cut2D

Thanks for the positive feedback on the software, very appreciated.

Tony

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Have there been any releases for VCarve Pro and Cut3D and PhotoVCarve this year? I think my free upgrade time ran out in December. I have 4.6 of VCarve Pro.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

You haven't missed any releases. We don't typically discuss release dates because it's commercially sensitive - customers wait so sales stop - plus we are never sure how long some of the projects will take to code, debug and test.

Tony

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

No problem, Tony. I coudl have just gone to the Vectric site to see for myself, thanks much for answering

Downloads
    Uploads

I finally purchased CUT2D today !

I'm happy with it and have run a couple of simple operations with it on my X2.

I have a question though, I want to do the opposite of a pocket, that is mill everything down around a shape, say a 1 in. x 1 in. square x 1/2in. high "protrusion".

I can't think of what this is called at the moment.

What is the procedure on that ?

Thanks

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast