Another Vent - Why does model slicing lap the top edge of a sliced face?

Thread: Another Vent - Why does model slicing lap the top edge of a sliced face?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Another Vent - Why does model slicing lap the top edge of a sliced face?

Another reason cut3d breaks cutters is because it can't comprehend flute length. If you have a face that is larger than the flute, you will make it down (as the cutter is eating into the face creating a clearance) but on the way up no more cutter...

I think model slicing would be an excellent way to deal with this. For example if I had a 4mm cutter with an 8 mm flute and my object had a 15mm face, I could slice the model into 2 pieces. By cutting the top slice first, clearance is created for the bottom slice. The trouble with this in cut3d is that model slicing seems to think you really do physically slice your model (what the!) and so it overlays the face edge with a tool path. When you bring the two slices together (attached pic) you can see how the tool paths do not work on a solid billet that isn't sliced.

If Vectric remove the edge overlay/lapping or made it optional, then this may allow for flute restriction?

Cheers
    Another Vent - Why does model slicing lap the top edge of a sliced face?-pic6-jpg

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Another Vent - Why does model slicing lap the top edge of a sliced face?

Yes, or they could support a basic need for 3d machining....never used cut 3d but shocked it can't handle that. A different work around would be to lie about the zero point at the control and cut up higher then at final depth.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Another Vent - Why does model slicing lap the top edge of a sliced face?

Does Cut3D have a max depth setting? If so, then run a finishing pass with the Max depth set at half depth, then run another pass at full depth.

MeshCAM can do this.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Unfortunately, cut3d only allows you to change coordinate position of X and Y axis and the position of Z to the top or bottom of the material. Allowing users to change the Z axis would be a great addition to the next version.

However, in both approaches changing Z0 or changing the cut depth means that the finishing tool toolpath repeats for each slice (or change). This is obviously a very inefficient and time consuming way of machining your object.

The only way I have found to be effective is to 2d machine the faces and deep pockets before the finishing toolpath is run.

I had a look at meshcam sometime ago and apart from its oversimplistic interface, it didn't seem to do anything better as far as finishing raster toolpaths were concerned. It did have waterline and pencil which would also be great if Vetric added this to cut3d.

Cheers

Downloads
    Uploads

Yeah, didn't say it was a fast solution. The 2d approach works obviously, but meshcam is a nice program....used it years and years ago (version 1, maybe v2)and been thinking of picking up again. Never seemed *over*simplistic to me, just the good type of simplistic, and assume its a little more complicated now.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by gfacer View Post
    but meshcam is a nice program....used it years and years ago (version 1, maybe v2)and been thinking of picking up again. Never seemed *over*simplistic to me, just the good type of simplistic, and assume its a little more complicated now.
    I downloaded a trial copy, but I guess I'm loyal to Vectric! I still hate the interface but the fact that it has a OSX version is WOW!! But the big WOW I found is you can overlay several toolpath strategies for the same job. This is a fantastic feature and one I would love to see in cut3d... yes please Vectric!!

To do this today I have to create several cut3d files and overlay them in Vcarve. I haven't looked at the 3d tool paths in Vcarve 8 yet (because as someone else wrote here somewhere) it doesn't support 2 and 4 sided milling so you still need to use cut3d, but I'll have to check that out.

Downloads
    Uploads

I think if you are used to vcarve, naturally you'll like the ui of cut3d better, and you make a good point about version 8 having new capabilities, but I think for pure 3d hobby machining as a new user, mesh cam is pretty darn good, and easily the program I'd buy (again technically) to make 3d molds for my work (MDF vacuum forming, nothing high tolerance).

Almost did in fact....but cheated and laser cut 1/8" board, glued stacked and putty'd instead.

Downloads
    Uploads

heres an example... made with meshmixer and artcam express..
    this skull is 14 feet sized..

with cut 3d , you canot ""slice"" the model.. you divide toolpath into sections..

for real sclicing, need real program..

this skull on the photo was cutted up parts, that could be milled from two side..
    imagine you cut a football to hexagons-pentagons and mill those parts..

artcam express also don't ""support"" 4 sided milling.. the schools behind me they support all kind of work I made..

same way I cutted this skull to parts..

meshmixer made by an individual, however its already autodesk program.. its free, and works same great than any autodesk program..

its all works for me great, but it doesn't mean others feel same way...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Another Vent - Why does model slicing lap the top edge of a sliced face?-skull-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

I think my point was more aimed at Vectric and the deficiencies in cut3d than looking at alternate programs. It's been 8 years since they updated it and with a bit of love and development it could be a superior 3d/mesh milling program...

Your workaround is a fair one, but the trouble in cut3d with this method is that when you create toolpaths it will still try and machine the flat surface face (even at 0) for each piece which you bring in as a sliced object. Obviously for what we are trying to do in this discussion, that would be a disaster.

Cheers

Downloads
    Uploads

your alternative will be aspire..

im using artcam express, and in artcam express I can select or say locate I want to mill..

you can make tremendous effort to change as cut3d works, but you have to see cut 3d is not for your satisfaction...

of your post I was meaning you can not find solution ...

we can not offer here to change cut3d... to the way you like to work with..

not youre the first, facing with issue cut 3d don't slice the model...
    cut 3d indeed ""slice"" the toolpath

and it will sweep trough on everything regardless you want or don't want..

you can write 100 or 1000 post asking little features, you wont get it because this is not about what you need, it is about how it can be sold..

also I wrote in my post on the end

artcam works for me great but it doesn't mean it would be great for you...

those folks made cut3d after selling artcam 10 years long, so you can be sure they know what they are doing...

cut3d not lacking functions because they can not make, cut 3d lacking functions because they can sell without functions..
    when customer find out what purchased already late... all you can do spend again your money..