Cut3D - first cut, not happy with it

Thread: Cut3D - first cut, not happy with it

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Cut3D - first cut, not happy with it

I'm sure it was user error, but need to find out how to correct it.

I created a part in Solidworks that is 10" x 7 5/8". The width of the "edges" of the part is 1/8" wide, and all corner radii are 1/8" to match a Ø1/4" diameter bit (pic 1). Next I saved it as a .stl file.

Imported it into Cut3D and sized it correctly. You can see the results done in Pine in pics 2 & 3. Instead of smooth lines along the edges, you can see where the router bit stopped and started. It left a bunch of curvy arcs instead of smooth ones.

Not sure if it's because the roughing pass was skipped and it went straight to a finishing path.

Here are the bit perimeters used on finishing pass:
    Ø1/4" bit
    Pass depth: .2"
    Stepover: .1", 40%
    Feed rate: 100"
    Plunge rate: 30
    Raster angle" 45°

Cutout toolpath was the same.

Is it because there was no roughing pass, or what else looks wrong? Also, what is a good feed rate for a roughing pass and a finishing pass? One last thing, would a horizontal or vertical pass have been better?

Might be important: Post processor is Mach 2/3 Arcs

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cut3D - first cut, not happy with it-cross_solidworks-jpg   Cut3D - first cut, not happy with it-cross-jpg   Cut3D - first cut, not happy with it-cross_closeup-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

You need to use a smaller bit, and a much smaller stepover, usually 8-10% of tool diameter.

Also, something like that would cut much quicker using a 2D CAM program.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Paul,

Certainly not a good start - but looking at your design image
    and I suspect this is really a 2D machining project that requires
    Pocket and Profile machining.

If you could email the Cut3D .V3D file + the 2D DXF from your CAD
    design I'll take a look - tonym@vectric.com

Tony

Downloads
    Uploads

This was just a test piece, I would like to do some more advanced pieces like the ones that Patter offers: New free reliefs site LINK

Once I get the hang of a simple one, then I will apply that knowledge to the ones with 3D contours with peaks and valleys.

That said, if the stepover is supposed to be 8% - 10% of the bit diameter, then I should have used .02" - .025". I used .1" for the stepover which is about 4 times too much.

I do have Ø1/8" bits, both endmill and round nose that I can use later.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by CNC Lurker View Post
    This was just a test piece, I would like to do some more advanced pieces like the ones that Patter offers: New free reliefs site LINK

Once I get the hang of a simple one, then I will apply that knowledge to the ones with 3D contours with peaks and valleys.

That said, if the stepover is supposed to be 8% - 10% of the bit diameter, then I should have used .02" - .025". I used .1" for the stepover which is about 4 times too much.

I would also say that the stepover was the culprit. I see you have Solidworks jpegs. Did you preview the tool path in Cut 3D? It probably would have shown the divits from the large stepover and saved some frustrations. As said, the cross may have been better suited for a 2d cut option
    Get ready for some long cut times when you get down to a 0.01 stepover and relief carving. But Fun!

Good luck
    Mike

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Mac View Post
    Hi Paul,

Certainly not a good start - but looking at your design image
    and I suspect this is really a 2D machining project that requires
    Pocket and Profile machining.

Tony
    I was just digging through the archives, and found this thread. I am confused about this statement. So Cut3d and Cut2d do different types of tool paths which lead to better results for different types of models?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by CptanPanic View Post
    I was just digging through the archives, and found this thread. I am confused about this statement. So Cut3d and Cut2d do different types of tool paths which lead to better results for different types of models?
    Cut2D does pure 2.5D machining (pockets and profiles) using line geometry. Cut3D does 3D machining using 3D models. They are different beasts, used for different purposes.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by CNC Lurker View Post

This is a good example of the fundamental difference between the 'raster' approach needed for creating 3D surfaces and the vector cuts which will produce clean lines. I tend to use both approaches here. This model would come out very nicely using 2D approaches, and then perhaps adding some 3D surfaces to the final model. Rastering will never produce a smooth surface since there will always be some element of the cutter profile left which may actually enhance the results, but nor normally would be perhaps sanded over. But 'waterline' vector cuts added after the rastering can help clean things up.

Lester Caine - G8HFL
    http://medw.co.uk - Home of electronics for the Model Engineer

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Is Aspire able to combine both methods?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by CptanPanic View Post
    Is Aspire able to combine both methods?
    yes

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

If you have VCarve Pro and Cut3D (or even the VectorArt3D app) you can import the 3D machining toolpaths into VCarve Pro. I will say however, that I had never tried this myself.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hello, I have found the vetric cut2d to be a good program and is very simple to use with pretty good features. I emailed them on the "trimming" options and there are ways you can trim the nodes. For the money, it is a good program and I like it's user/interface set up.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I am a MC user since v286 and also a Vectric user . Vectric is by far the best bang for the buck and better tech support to boot.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Cut3D - first cut, not happy with it

I don't know why you are messing with 3dcut? When you talk about 3d, think about the Z profile. As far as machining goes this is not a 3d object.

You can mill this on any 2d cam, and as someone else here said because it's not raster profile but proper pockets your finish will be proper and it will take a fraction of the time.

Downloads
    Uploads

FastFarmer ... why comment on a four year old post with a point that had already been covered in 2011 and 2012?
    We do need some better beginners guides explaining the difference between 2D and 3D machining, but these on-line forums are perhaps not the best place to look for that material?

Lester Caine - G8HFL
    http://medw.co.uk - Home of electronics for the Model Engineer

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by lsces View Post
    FastFarmer ... why comment on a four year old post with a point that had already been covered in 2011 and 2012?
    We do need some better beginners guides explaining the difference between 2D and 3D machining, but these on-line forums are perhaps not the best place to look for that material?
    Fair call. Forums like this are the perfect place for beginners and hobbyists, so I apologies for being critical.

Cheers